Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:58 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
Best Animated Feature 
Post Best Animated Feature
What I would like to be nominated:
Astro Boy
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox (I am assuming, haven't seen it yet)
Ponyo
Up

What will be nominated:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Disney’s A Christmas Carol
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
Up

I would be happy with Coraline, Ponyo, or Up winning (all ***1/2 films for me this year, no animated film got ****, at least so far).

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 am
Producer

Post Re: Best Animated Feature
If I had to guess:

Caroline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
Up

I think those are a given. The fifth slot I'm not as sure about. For now I'll go with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I just hope it's not Monsters Vs Aliens. That movie was lame IMO.

It doesn't matter though. No movie will beat Up for the top prize. And Up is the CLEAR winner. It absolutely deserves it too!

And Caroline is one of the most overrated movies of the year!

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 am
ilovemovies wrote:
If I had to guess:

Caroline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
Up

I think those are a given. The fifth slot I'm not as sure about. For now I'll go with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I just hope it's not Monsters Vs Aliens. That movie was lame IMO.

It doesn't matter though. No movie will beat Up for the top prize. And Up is the CLEAR winner. It absolutely deserves it too!

Have you seen it?
Because if you had you might know that it is Coraline, not Caroline and that it is an absorbing and creative fantasy that outshines 95% of the kids' fare out there.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 pm
It's nice to see 5 nominees again this year. Overall it seems to be one of the strongest years for animated features. I say "seems" because I've only seen Ponyo and Coraline. Of those, I prefer the latter.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 pm
Here comes a Pedro post, overcompensating because he's a fatty.

LOCKS

UP - PETE DOCTER AND BOB PETERSON
~...

And that's it! There are definitely going to be some that are incredibly likely, but I'm not convinced we've got any other lock but Up. Too many of the Oscar references I use deviate, to the point where Coraline isn't suggested in some circles because it's a February release.

EVERYONE ELSE

CORALINE - HENRY SELICK
~This is 98% a lock, so I think we can consider it worthy and in the running. I liked but didn't love the film, personally, and am wondering if anyone else felt the same. If it gets a bunch of number three votes, it's not going to win. It's also got that nasty February release going against it, and try as a might, producer Tim Burton doesn't have the fodder for reminding people like Pixar does. Pixar could release a movie on January 1st and people would talk about it all year. Especially if it was their masterpiece.

PONYO - HAYAO MIYAZAKI
~Sometimes it's a little too cute for its own good (and a little too simple), but what it does it does very well. I wish I could have seen it with its original Japanese voice acting, but that's what DVD is for I suppose. This is also not considered a lock in some circles for... well, reasons unbeknownst to me. It's too weird?

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS - PHIL LORD AND CHRIS MILLER
~For some reason, people LOVE this movie. I don't. It's cute, but ultimately derivative. A James **1/2, though I'd give it *** on his rating scale. Barely. Any, I'm not convinced this is going to get a nomination over Monsters vs. Aliens even though it's a better movie.

MONSTERS VS. ALIENS - ROB LETTERMAN AND CONRAD VERNON
~Basically, see the above description.

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG - RON CLEMENTS AND JOHN MUSKER
~Allegedly, it's good, and Disney usually gets in with their 2D films. (Well, Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet, and Brother Bear did. If the category was around in the 90s, everything they touched would have been nominated.)

THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX - WES ANDERSON
~It has the reviews, but I'm still not convinced it's not a wild card.

MARY AND MAX - ADAM ELLIOT
~This is going to need some serious advertising with it being Australian and all, but it's got really good early reviews. I'm going to campaign hard for a film I haven't even seen.

9 - SHANE ACKER
~I think the film's a little too slight to garner a nomination, but we'll see. It's got very good visuals and a very interesting post-apocalyptic vision.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL - BOBBY ZEMECKIS
~Although it looks really good, the film's cold and Beowulf didn't get nominated.

ASTRO BOY - DAVID BOWERS
~Our own Trevor's a champion of the film, and maybe there'll be enough people with a similar opinion to nominate it. Or not.

ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS - CARLOS SELDANHA
~Biggest animated of film of all time? Wat?

PLANET 51, BATTLE FOR TERRA, THE DOLPHIN - STORY OF A DREAMER, THE MISSING LYNX, THE SECRET OF KELLS, TINKER BELL AND THE LOST TREASURE, AND A TOWN CALLED PANIC
~Well, thanks for stopping by.

ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE SQUEAKQUEL - BETTY THOMAS
~......................................WHAT?!!!!!!

And so, the Pedro predicts and champions:

Up
Coraline
Ponyo
Mary and Max
The Princess and the Frog

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 pm
Producer

Trevor wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
If I had to guess:

Caroline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
Up

Have you seen it?
Because if you had you might know that it is Coraline, not Caroline and that it is an absorbing and creative fantasy that outshines 95% of the kids' fare out there.

Of course I've seen it. I would never call something I haven't seen overrated.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:08 am
Director

Do we know there will be five nominees this year instead of three? It depends on how many animated films come out. It seems there have been a lot, but have there been enough?

I'd say

Up
Coraline
A Christmas Carol
Ponyo
With the fifth being between "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "The Princess and the Frog"

Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
Do we know there will be five nominees this year instead of three? It depends on how many animated films come out. It seems there have been a lot, but have there been enough?

I'd say

Up
Coraline
A Christmas Carol
Ponyo
With the fifth being between "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "The Princess and the Frog"

It's confirmed that there will be 5 nominees.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:53 pm
Patrick wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I'd say

Up
Coraline
A Christmas Carol
Ponyo

Yeah, the rule is there need to be at least sixteen qualifying animated feature films for there to be five nominees. This year, we have twenty. For a while, we only had fifteen, which is depressing to think about. What if we were only one movie away from honoring two more gems? Aiyah.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Pedro wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I'd say

Up
Coraline
A Christmas Carol
Ponyo

Yeah, the rule is there need to be at least sixteen qualifying animated feature films for there to be five nominees. This year, we have twenty. For a while, we only had fifteen, which is depressing to think about. What if we were only one movie away from honoring two more gems? Aiyah.

On the other hand, what would have been nominated last year if we had five? Two of the nominees were already Kung Fu Panda and Bolt. Aiyah.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm
Waltz With Bashir and Horton Hears a Who! I imagine.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 pm
Producer

Ugh. Nominating Horton Hears a Who would have been a travesty!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm
Pedro wrote:

I'm surprised that the former didn't squeeze out Bolt or the Panda for a nod.

Does anyone pay attention to the Annie awards? I know I don't but I found it interesting that Kung-Fu Panda won every single award it was nominated for at the 2009 Annies beating WallE and Bashir (among others) in several categories. Who votes for these awards? The staff of Dreamworks?

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Annie_Awards/2009

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:44 pm
ilovemovies wrote:

Off topic, but you are ilovemovies from Joblo, yes?

On Topic, I think Up should and will win. I'd like to see Mr. Fox and Ponyo get nominated, and beyond that, I find it hard to care this year.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Does anyone pay attention to the Annie awards? I know I don't but I found it interesting that Kung-Fu Panda won every single award it was nominated for at the 2009 Annies beating WallE and Bashir (among others) in several categories. Who votes for these awards? The staff of Dreamworks?

At the time there was a lot of talk about how those awards can basically be bought.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:23 pm
Producer

Shade wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Off topic, but you are ilovemovies from Joblo, yes?

Yep. I'm a member of several message boards. Joblo's is probably the one I frequent the most.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:20 am
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Probably voted for the quality of the animation, which in the case of "Kung Fu Panda" is very good.

I've seen "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and I'm upgrading it to an almost certain nominee, and a possible upset over "Up" if the voters don't want to give Pixar yet another trophy.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
I've seen "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and I'm upgrading it to an almost certain nominee, and a possible upset over "Up" if the voters don't want to give Pixar yet another trophy.

I agree. Fantastic Mr. Fox was way better than I expected and its critical reception has been exceptional as well.

I still don't see it upsetting Up in this category, but the presence of another outstanding animated film will likely kill any momentum Up had going toward a best picture nom.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 pm
Trevor wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I agree. Fantastic Mr. Fox was way better than I expected and its critical reception has been exceptional as well.

I still don't see it upsetting Up in this category, but the presence of another outstanding animated film will likely kill any momentum Up had going toward a best picture nom.

I still think Up is a lock for Best Picture; Fantastic Mr. Fox probably won't take away any momentum in that respect. However, there may be an upset in the Animated Feature Film category, based on the logic if Up gets nominated for Best Picture it doesn't need to win Animated. The only thing I'm worried about is the box office for Fantastic Mr. Fox. It performed pretty poorly this weekend when it went wide. That might hurt it in context of a win. Box office matters here.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 pm
It's been mentioned in this thread a few times but seriously Mary And Max should and needs to get nominated in my opinion. I haven't seen Up(one of the few people in the world who hasn't yet) but I plan to soon. Mary And Max is quite depressing at times,humorous and pretty touching. It isn't a kids film at all. The majority of the film is told through narration from the narrator or Max and Mary's letter's read aloud and they are acted out(for example if Max is writing about his childhood they show scenes of him as a child etc) which I thought was really great. I also thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic in it. If I wasn't aware that he was the voice of Max I'm not sure if he would have been my first guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKB50wiN4ik

One of my favorites of the year for sure.
And just for reference here are a few other favorites from this year-The Hurt Locker,Thirst,A Serious Man,Mother and Moon

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:39 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]