Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Independent Spirit Award Nominees 
Post Independent Spirit Award Nominees
Best Feature
“Amreeka”
“(500) Days of Summer”
“The Last Station”
“Precious”
“Sin Nombre”
COMMENTARY: I'm kind of all Precious'd out, so I'm a little meh about its entry. It should be there, though. It's nice to see Sin Nombre remembered from the beginning of the year. I'm not surprised by the inclusions of Amreeka and (500) Days of Summer, but I am a little shocked by The Last Station. I thought for damn sure The Messenger had that spot locked. Of course I would have loved to see Goodbye Solo here, but whatever. The absence of A Serious Man is a little head scratching, but whatever,

Best Director
Michael Hoffman, “The Last Station”
Lee Daniels, “Precious”
Joel and Ethan Coen, “A Serious Man”
Cary Fukunaga, “Sin Nombre”
James Gray, “Two Lovers”
COMMENTARY: None of these entries surprise me. In fact, most of these are deserving. Daniels is a lock for Best Director at the Oscars and the Coen brothers are something of a wildcard, so I guess we can consider them more of a threat now. Hooray for James Gray weaseling his way in there.

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
Colin Firth, “A Single Man”
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, “(500) Days of Summer”
Souleymane Sy Savane, “Goodbye Solo”
Adam Scott, “The Vicious Kind”
COMMENTARY: Okay, now I'm a little annoyed. The Spirits are not exactly known for their consistency. I can't see how they would nominate Colin Firth in A Single Man, while not nominating the film for Best Picture - a category it may end up in when it comes to the Oscars. I suppose I should be happy Souleymane was remembered, but he'll probably lose to Jeff Bridges. Also missing: Ben Foster from The Messenger. He's at least as good Joseph Gorden-Levitt, if not on the level of the other nominees. He doesn't have the best acting in the film, but he's certainly worth mentioning. Oh, and what about Michael Stuhlbarg?! And Hal Holbrook?!!! /bitching

Best Actress
Maria Bello, “Downloading Nancy”
Nisreen Faour, “Amreeka”
Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”
Gwyneth Paltrow, “Two Lovers”
Gabourey Sidibe, “Precious”
~All in all, this is a solid selection. No major complaints.

Best Supporting Actor
Jemaine Clement, “Gentlemen Broncos”
Woody Harrelson, “The Messenger”
Christian McKay, “Me and Orson Welles”
Ray McKinnon, “That Evening Sun”
Christopher Plummer, “The Last Station”
~I'm most pleased by Woody Harrelson's inclusion, which almost makes up for Ben Foster's exclusion. Also pleased by McKay being there. I'm surprised by Jermaine Clement, as I didn't think Gentlemen Broncos would be considered awardworthy in ANY respect, but what do I know? Red West of Goodbye Solo fame definitely deserved a nomination here.

Best Supporting Actress
Dina Korzun, “Cold Souls”
Mo’Nique, “Precious”
Samantha Morton, “The Messenger”
Natalie Press, “Fifty Dead Men Walking”
Mia Wasikowska, “That Evening Sun”
~Again, a solid set of nominees.

Best Screenplay
“Adventureland”
“(500) Days of Summer”
“The Last Station”
“The Messenger”
“The Vicious Kind”
~This is one category Goodbye Solo deserved to be in, but I'm not sure who it should kick out. I'm unfamiliar with The Vicious Kind so I'm inclined to say that one, but that's not fair. I don't know, something should have gotten the boot.

Best First Feature
“Crazy Heart”
“Easier With Practice”
“The Messenger”
“Paranormal Activity”
“A Single Man”
~Crazy Heart's a first feature? No complaints here. I'm happy to see a nod for Paranormal Activity.

Best First Screenplay
“Amreeka”
“Cold Souls”
“Crazy Heart”
“Precious”
“A Single Man”
~I have my problems with Cold Souls, but it's quite ambitious for a first screenplay. Kudos.

Best Foreign Film
“An Education”
“Everlasting Moments”
“The Maid”
“Mother”
“A Prophet”
~This is confusing. Everlasting Moments came out last year in Sweden, though this year in the States. Meanwhile, A Prophet came out this year in France, but won't show up in the States until next year. That's not consistent! Also, The White Ribbon should have been mentioned, unless it's not independent enough. (It might not be.) Mary and Max love?

Best Documentary
“Anvil! The Story of Anvil”
“Food, Inc.”
“More Than a Game”
“October Country”
“Which Way Home”
~All solid nominees, though none are spectacular.

Best Cinematography
“The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans”
“Cold Souls”
“A Serious Man”
“Sin Nombre”
“Treeless Mountain”
~Bad Lieutenant? Wat? Here's another category The Messenger should have been included in.

John Cassavetes Award
“Big Fan”
“Humpday”
“New Year Parade”
“Treeless Mountain”
“Zero Bridge”
~Humpday! I'm glad that got nominated. Same with Big Fan, even though I wasn't in love with the film as much as I wanted to be. You could argue Goodbye Solo deserves to be in this category.

Robert Altman Award
“A Serious Man”
~This one makes a lot of sense, though I'd argue - again - that The Messenger would have been more deserving of this award.

So there you have it. What do we take from this? Basically, The Last Station stands a much better shot at all of the categories it's vying for now, and A Single Man should definitely be taken seriously.

Oh, what about Moon?!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 pm
Producer

Post Re: Independent Spirit Award Nominees
Actually, Downloading Nancy should have been nominated for it's cinematography. It's a gorgeous looking even though it's one of the most grim and bleakest movies I'vee ever seen.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:26 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]