Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
Weinstein vs. Oprah 
Assistant Director

Post Weinstein vs. Oprah
Let's be honest. "Precious" and "Nine" are the only two movies that are going to really be contenders for the Best Picture Oscar this year. You've got cultural icon Oprah Winfrey on one hand, and propoganda-aggressive Harvey Weinstein on the other.

Oprah is more famous and less controversial, but Weinstein has successfully bought the Oscar before. He is a good propogandist, and probably spends more money on advertising than he does on his film budgets. How else can you explain how he managed to get the utterly forgettable "Shakespeare in Love" to beat out "Saving Private Ryan" (or anything else that year) for the Best Picture Oscar?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Weinstein vs. Oprah
I think Oprah will beat out Weinstein this time; sympathy love for Oprah leaving soon may be Precious' saving grace.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile YIM
While I disagree with the premise (I don't think Precious stands much of a chance of winning), the question of Oprah vs. Weinstein is interesting.
Oprah has more clout in the general public, but the general public doesn't have all that much to do with generating Oscar buzz other than inflating the box office gross which certainly helps. Weinstein is an expert at this game, so I'd give him the edge.

Plus, since the first trailer of Nine was released I've thought that it looked like the runaway best picture winner.

As it is, and having not seen either yet, I think Up in the Air stands a better chance than Precious.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 am
moviemkr7 wrote:
Let's be honest. "Precious" and "Nine" are the only two movies that are going to really be contenders for the Best Picture Oscar this year. You've got cultural icon Oprah Winfrey on one hand, and propoganda-aggressive Harvey Weinstein on the other.

Oprah is more famous and less controversial, but Weinstein has successfully bought the Oscar before. He is a good propogandist, and probably spends more money on advertising than he does on his film budgets. How else can you explain how he managed to get the utterly forgettable "Shakespeare in Love" to beat out "Saving Private Ryan" (or anything else that year) for the Best Picture Oscar?

Okay, here comes the honesty: Precious and Nine are NOT the only two movies that are going to really be contenders for the Best Picture Oscar this year, and Oprah and the Weinsteins have nothing to do with it. Most people have fallen in love with Precious (I disagree, Trever, many people are predicting it as the winner right now) and many more people might fall in love with Nine (if it's worthy). People have also fallen in love with Up in the Air. Reviews are starting to come in for The Lovely Bones and there have been some raves. And let's not forget about Avatar. (Invictus was panned by an industry insider, take that for what you will.) It's not as clear-cut as it seems, which is part of the fun of predicting the Oscars, is it not?

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:55 am
Producer

Up in the Air is probably the current front runner.

But watchout for either Invictus or The Lovely Bones. I think they could both be MAJOR contenders.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:27 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Up in the Air is probably the current front runner.

But watchout for either Invictus or The Lovely Bones. I think they could both be MAJOR contenders.

By the end of December, somehoe The Hurt Locker could be the front runner. It's all about the hype and early love of the films. By late January to Mid Febuary, we should know the true front runners for Best Picture.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
By late January to Mid Febuary, we should know the true front runners for Best Picture.

Who needs Imdb Pro when we have Corpen?

The correct answer is 'No one needs it.' No, they don't.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:14 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]