Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Best Supporting Actress 
Post Best Supporting Actress
I remember saying earlier this year after hearing about [the then-titled] Push that Mo'Nique was going to get an Oscar nomination - and probably win. And everyone who I told that to gave me a great big WHAT IN THE kind of expression and shrugged me off as if I was bonkers. Well, let's go ahead and take a look at those locks.

LOCKS

MO'NIQUE - PRECIOUS
~Anyone who's seen the movie can't deny how powerful her role is. She's equal parts volcanic, sadistic, and heartbreaking, just to use words other people have thrown around. I think the best word to describe the performance is IMPRESSIVE in all caps, because I had no idea Mo'Nique had this in her. Bravo!

ANNA KENDRICK - UP IN THE AIR
~Again, I didn't know she had it in her. The little girl from Twilight that could. I'm going to stop hating on people based on their career choices. Anyway, Kendrick allegedly brings both naivety and knowledge to her character, though I'm not exactly sure what the relationship she develops with George Clooney is. Anyway, she's a frontrunner.

JULIANNE MOORE - A SINGLE MAN
~The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that quote in the trailer: Julianne Moore is already receiving Oscar buzz for her role here. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the basic feel of the quote. While that's pretty much true from what I've been hearing, could The Weinstein Company be bigger douche bags? Actually....

EVERYONE ELSE

PENELOPE CRUZ - NINE
~I suppose she may as well be a lock, but no one's really seen her performance yet. She's probably going to bring a fiery persona to the screen, perhaps unfortunately similar to last year's Vicky Christina Barcelona? We'll see.

VERA FARMIGA - UP IN THE AIR
~Here's a woman who's never quite gotten her due. Of course, she's not that old and hasn't been around that long, but you'd think she'd be in the public spotlight a little more often. She got an Indie Spirit Award nomination for Down to the Bone and got some mild Oscar buzz for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Not to mention she was in The Departed. She's got a pretty good track record; let's see if she'll get noticed this time.

MELANIE LAURENT - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
~Probably one of the most capable nominees here, but unfortunately a nomination is unlikely. She played a woman who thought with her head and not with heart and that's pretty much the reason she's still alive. But who didn't feel the tension when she was reunited with her family's killer (of sorts)? Amazing scene with amazing acting, and French to boot!

SUSAN SARANDON - THE LOVELY BONES
~A grieving grandmother, always an Oscar-type role. Susan's been around for so long and no one doubts her talent. It'd be nice to see her again on Oscar night.

RACHEL WEISZ - THE LOVELY BONES
~A grieving mother! She's the less likely of the two, but maybe I'm wrong.

SAMANTHA MORTON - THE MESSENGER
~I'm not sure what her role is, but I don't see her getting anything more than an Independent Spirit Award nomination.

MARIAH CAREY - PRECIOUS
~She's not really Oscarworthy, but she's certainly competent in her role. It's the makeup and screenplay more than anything else.

NATALIE PORTMAN - BROTHERS
~?

THE REST OF THE CAST OF NINE, PARTICULARLY JUDI DENCH
~Just because. I think Marion Cotillard has been pushed to Best Actress, though.\

Pedro says:

Mo'Nique
Anna Kendrick
Julianne Moore
Penelope Cruz
Susan Sarandon

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:25 pm
Producer

Post Re: Best Supporting Actress
I think Laurent's got an excellent shot at a nomination.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:54 pm
Post Re: Best Supporting Actress
Mo'Nique. The only possible reason why she wouldn't have this award on lock is if her brilliant performance gets (understandably) overshadowed by Gabourey Sidibe's. Precious contains the finest acting I've seen all year.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:04 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]