Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:01 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Best Director 
Post Best Director
Best Director is an interesting category this year. At one point, it was possible that there could have been four women nominated for the award, a feat that will likely never be accomplished unless more women come about in the business. However, Amelia ended up performing poorly, so we can count Mira Nair out of the race. Kathryn Bigelow, Lone Scherfig, and Jane Campion are totally possible, though, so let's get into it.

LOCKS

KATHRYN BIGELOW - THE HURT LOCKER
~I'm currently feeling she might win. The Hurt Locker is as successful as it is largely because of the taut direction from Kathryn. Action directions don't get nearly enough credit, but this one instance where the genre director will get its due.

LEE DANIELS - PRECIOUS
~Precious is getting love from all corners and is a likely Best Picture nominee, so you can expect to see his name attached to the list.

EVERYONE ELSE

JASON REITMAN - UP IN THE AIR
~If he can get nominated for Juno, he can get nominated for this, which is said to feature some more impressive performances. Clooney, Farmiga, and Kendrick are all being buzzed about. I guess the only problem with him being among everyone else is that his touch is rather light. Bigelow and Daniels in particular hit hard with their subject and Reitman is fairly soft with his dramedy about being alone. At one point he was a lock in my book; now I'm not so sure.

PETER JACKSON - THE LOVELY BONES
~If he can deliver, he's a frontrunner. No one knows at this point.

CLINT EASTWOOD - INVICTUS
~I'm putting his name here because I'm required to.

ROB MARSHALL - NINE
~Is his directing style is even remotely similar to what he did in Chicago, it should be good enough to garner a nomination.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
~Will people acknowledge he basically directed a foreign language film about a fictional Holocaust story? I don't know. He's in contention.

JAMES CAMERON - AVATAR
~After watching how he worked on The Abyss, he deserves a Best Director win for everything he's ever done. I'll reiterate: action directors are completely underrated. If Avatar is revolutionary he'll get a nomination and lose. If not, you can count him out.

LONE SCHERFIG - AN EDUCATION
~At this point, I don't see her getting nominated, but her film will likely garner a Best Picture nomination. It's hard to say. I referred to the light touch of Reitman in my discussion of his likelihood, and that same discussion applies here.

JANE CAMPION - BRIGHT STAR
~If her film is barely in contention, I don't see it happening for her. But maybe.

JOEL COEN AND ETHAN COEN - A SERIOUS MAN
~The wildcards. What more can you say about these geniuses in a race like this?

TOM FORD - A SINGLE MAN
~If this film gets a lot of love, you'll have to get used to seeing Tom Ford's name more often. However, this may just be a Colin Firth kind of Oscar season in context of the film.

NEILL BLOMKAMP - DISTRICT 9
~Dare to dream.

HANEKE - THE WHITE RIBBON
~It would be so ballin' to see him nominated, but alas, it probably won't happen.

As I see it?

Kathryn Bigelow
Lee Daniels
Jason Reitman
Clint Eastwood
Peter Jackson

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm
Post Re: Best Director
I feel more confident in this thread than in the actors thread. 2009's nominee locks are:

Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) - Have you seen the movie? It's the best action film that has ever played the art houses.

Lone Scherfig (An Education) - This one I'm 100% sure on. I hereby give you my word that, if Lone Scherfig isn't nominated, I will videotape myself eating a sock and post it on Youtube. A sock, people. A sock. That's confidence.

Lee Daniels (Precious) - I haven't seen the film but with reviews like the ones this movie has been getting there isn't any way Mr. Daniels won't get some love from The Academy of Movies n' Stuff.

The above three are definites. I don't know how many women have been nominated for Best Director but I'm nearly 100% sure that two women have never been nominated at the same time. The Oscars people love being given the opportunity to do something like this. Lee Daniels might be more of a wild card but I just don't see him not getting the nod.

I'm running not-so-enthusiastic on Eastwood but I'm gonna say that's lock-likely. Not entirely sure. He's helming a Big Important Biopic and, what's more, he's a favorite of the Academy. He won't win (I'm going with Scherfig) because he's won at least 1,234,885,690.1 times before but they love to honor Clint. Hell, I love Clint. Who doesn't love that guy? He's gruff... but loveable.

The last one is completely wild cardy. The Coens? They just won! But maybe! But they just won! They're so prolific that they'll probably see at least two or three more nominations before they retire to Shady Pines Retirement Community for Rich White People That Directed Fargo (S.P.R.C.R.W.P.D.F. ... I hear it's beautiful).

I'm going to wait out Up in The Air's reviews. While I don't expect it to be like Diablo Cody's follow-up to Juno, it may be met with the dreaded 50% lukewarm response from the critics. I hope it turns out to be brilliant, really. I've been looking forward to this for a long time now.

I'll also wait out The Lovely Bones. I so hated the novel that I don't think any number of great reviews will ever get me to see it. Given the subject matter and (potentially) good script from a really great writing team (maybe I will see it, then) it could get Jackson his, what?, fourth nomination? I know he won, at least. Did anybody else feel disappointed with The Return of the King? I mean, I really liked the first one and everything but... well, this is for another thread.

Lastly, Quentin Tarantino isn't going to get the nomination. I don't think I'll see a better movie this year than Inglorious Basterds but there's no way to know that until everything wraps up. But Mr. Tarantino has a tendency to be a great big asshole and there isn't anything The Academy hates more than a guy like Tarantino. Marlon Brando had to calm down and stop playing the Marlon Brando card in order to see his first nomination and Tarantino loves himself more than words could ever hope to say. Still, I may be eating my words come February. This is Tarantino's most un-Tarantino film. I might be wrong. I might be wrong. But I swore I saw a light coming on. Catchy song! A little slow, though.

That wraps up yet another of my novella-length posts. Again: I could use an editor.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 am
I feel that these should get a nomination, if one goes by the criteria of "Best Director." (I am also going to only comment on movies that I have seen save ONE exception, and as everyone should agree, that one is HUGE.)

1. Kathyrn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker). With a budget of only 11 million, she has created more action, more excitement, and more tension in a film than anyone this year. The way it was filmed and put together just deserves a nomination. She absolutely kept the viewer on the edge of his seat, 100% of the movie, and if her goal was to bring the viewer to the actual battlefield of an Army Explosives unit, she accomplished her goal.

2. Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds). His best film since Pulp Fiction (even admitted by him) that weaves the audience in and out of an altered WWII. Simply the way it was filmed in stories within stories, all of the time keeping viewer attention and evoking disgust, humor, tension, relief. I hope he gets a nom.

3. Pete Docter and Bob Peterson (Up!). No one has mentioned this, but can the directors of Animated Films get the nom for Best Director? Just the first 10 min of this movie alone warrant such a nomination!

The One: James Cameron (Avatar)
C'mon. He has been working on this film in some way or the other for over 12 years. It has been in production for 4 years. He co-invented the technology to film it. Just the total commitment it takes someone to tediously work on something as mind boggling as that. If it turns out to actually be worth the wait, and not just a grand remake of Fern Gully, this guy deserves a nomination hands down with a VERY strong consideration for the win. How many directors possess that much patience, fortitude, and sheer will power to imagine and literally bring that imagination (one as huge and epic as this) to the screen. Not many.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I feel that these should get a nomination, if one goes by the criteria of "Best Director." (I am also going to only comment on movies that I have seen save ONE exception, and as everyone should agree, that one is HUGE.)

1. Kathyrn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker). With a budget of only 11 million, she has created more action, more excitement, and more tension in a film than anyone this year. The way it was filmed and put together just deserves a nomination. She absolutely kept the viewer on the edge of his seat, 100% of the movie, and if her goal was to bring the viewer to the actual battlefield of an Army Explosives unit, she accomplished her goal.

2. Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds). His best film since Pulp Fiction (even admitted by him) that weaves the audience in and out of an altered WWII. Simply the way it was filmed in stories within stories, all of the time keeping viewer attention and evoking disgust, humor, tension, relief. I hope he gets a nom.

3. Pete Docter and Bob Peterson (Up!). No one has mentioned this, but can the directors of Animated Films get the nom for Best Director? Just the first 10 min of this movie alone warrant such a nomination!

The One: James Cameron (Avatar)
C'mon. He has been working on this film in some way or the other for over 12 years. It has been in production for 4 years. He co-invented the technology to film it. Just the total commitment it takes someone to tediously work on something as mind boggling as that. If it turns out to actually be worth the wait, and not just a grand remake of Fern Gully, this guy deserves a nomination hands down with a VERY strong consideration for the win. How many directors possess that much patience, fortitude, and sheer will power to imagine and literally bring that imagination (one as huge and epic as this) to the screen. Not many.

See, when I read that kind of writing regarding James Cameron, I'm like, "Oh, that's so true! He's definitely going to win!" I just don't think everyone feels the same, which is unfortunate. People get distracted by his huge ego and awkward looking hairstyle.

Pete Docter and Bob Peterson will not get nominated, which is why I left them out of the discussion. Personally, I thought Stanton did a better job with WALL-E, and he ended losing out the nomination to a very unworthy Ron Howard. (Or Stephen Daldry, depending on how you look at it.)

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm
As for my list, those were just the directors that I felt should be nominated, based on criteria that should encompass the "Best Director."

That being said, JC is one of my top directors. I mean I know that he has a reputation of being a perfectionist, and by many accounts is a pain to work with, but just look at the results. He is just one of those people that just will not quit, will not budge until whatever that he is doing is exactly like he imagined it. That trait can be a blessing and a curse I suppose. Obviously I'm partial to him and other very technical directors like Peter Jackson, and I'm not putting down other's such as a Jason Reitman and his Up in the Air, as I've heard good things and can't wait to see that film, but can anyone honestly say upon comparing the feats it took to direct each movie that their accomplishments were even in the same league? Maybe I'm just not looking at this process as an organic one rather than sheer technical prowess? Or maybe the Best Director is just the one that gets the audience to feel exactly as the director intended? I digress...

Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:22 pm
Pedro wrote:
Pete Docter and Bob Peterson will not get nominated, which is why I left them out of the discussion. Personally, I thought Stanton did a better job with WALL-E, and he ended losing out the nomination to a very unworthy Ron Howard. (Or Stephen Daldry, depending on how you look at it.)

Every director who was nominated that year did so at the expense of one Christopher Nolan. Stephen Daldry should be nominated once he makes a film that's worthy of consideration and not as a symbol to Sydney Pollack's life.

Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Every director who was nominated that year did so at the expense of one Christopher Nolan. Stephen Daldry should be nominated once he makes a film that's worthy of consideration and not as a symbol to Sydney Pollack's life.

Except Boyle, he actually deserved the nomination. In my perfect world, the nominees would have been Boyle, Cantet, Nolan, Demme, and Stanton. But alas, that's not how it went down. When I submitted my official predictions to whoever would read them, I believe I ended up with Boyle, Fincher, Van Sant, Nolan, and Howard. I might have even swapped out Howard for Stanton. Daldry wasn't even in the discussion.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 am
Duncan Jones - Moon

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 am
Now that everything's come out, we're just waiting on the DGAs. From where it stands right now, it looks like:

Bigelow
Cameron
Reitman
Tarantino
Daniels

Eastwood might sneak in there instead of Daniels. Maybe Rob Marshall, too? I don't know, Nine's getting pretty tepid reviews. Tarantino's still something of a wildcard in my book, but the Globes nominated him, he's got a shot at the Oscars.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:15 pm
Not that it really matters to me but I do believe that QT will be nominated and win best director this time around. But I believe it will be more of a "sorry you got screwed with Pulp Fiction" win.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:10 am
There's a good chance Cameron will be nominated now.

Anyone thinks he stands a chance at winning? I think Academy members might look at the nominees and think there were better directing jobs this year but vote for Cameron just to reward him for his ridiculous investment in Avatar.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm
Director

Trevor wrote:

Anyone thinks he stands a chance at winning? I think Academy members might look at the nominees and think there were better directing jobs this year but vote for Cameron just to reward him for his ridiculous investment in Avatar.

Cameron is almost a lock for best director.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile YIM
Trevor wrote:

I'm still banking on QT. Cameron has already won. They won't make QT wait for the lifetime achievement award.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 pm
Director

Bondurant wrote:
Trevor wrote:

I'm still banking on QT. Cameron has already won. They won't make QT wait for the lifetime achievement award.

!00% correct.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:39 pm
Profile YIM
Sorry guys, Bigelow has a 95% chance of winning. If you look at most of the precursor awards from various film critic societies around the countries, Bigelow has won most of them. Don't get me wrong; Cameron and Tarantino have a chance. It's just that it's within that five percent. Also, if Up in the Air lands Best Picture (pun intended), Reitman may have won Best Director five minutes prior.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 pm
Wait until the end of January to hedge your bets when the DGA announces their winner. I think they've been in sync with the Oscars every year but 5 or 6 since the 50s. In other words, whoever they choose is winning this thing.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:41 pm
Pedro wrote:
Sorry guys, Bigelow has a 95% chance of winning. If you look at most of the precursor awards from various film critic societies around the countries, Bigelow has won most of them. Don't get me wrong; Cameron and Tarantino have a chance. It's just that it's within that five percent. Also, if Up in the Air lands Best Picture (pun intended), Reitman may have won Best Director five minutes prior.

I wouldn't mind if Bigelow wins, the Hurt Locker was an awesome film. I wonder what Cameron thinks though? Bigelow is his ex wife. Did they end on bad terms or do you think they still respect one another. Cameron served as producer on her earlier films and even wrote Bigelow's Strange Days. If she wins, she better says thanks to Cameron because she probably learned much of what she knows from him.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:56 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Cameron served as producer on her earlier films and even wrote Bigelow's Strange Days. If she wins, she better says thanks to Cameron because she probably learned much of what she knows from him.

Strange Days was after the divorce and he even edited that one too but under a different name so I at the very least there's a mutual respect between them

Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:39 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Wait until the end of January to hedge your bets when the DGA announces their winner. I think they've been in sync with the Oscars every year but 5 or 6 since the 50s. In other words, whoever they choose is winning this thing.

I'm guessing you have to be a member of the DGA to be nominated, right? I seem to vaguely recall that QT left the organization for a while. Don't know if that is still the case. Same thing with Robert Rodriguez.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:10 am
Ti West deserves at the least a nomination for his spectacular work in "House of the Devil".

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:03 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next