Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Best Actress 
Post Best Actress
I'm going to go ahead and skip a maudlin introduction and launch into a discussion about the locks for Best Actress, because there are three at this point and it's very exciting.

CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN - AN EDUCATION
~At this point, I think she'll win. An Education is gaining a lot of steam, to the point where I think it's a definite lock for Best Picture (an opinion some people on the board don't necessarily agree with, and I get it). Regardless of whether or not it ends up with that nomination, you can bet cold hard cash than Carey Mulligan WILL be nominated. People are saying "the birth of a star" and "like Audrey Hepburn" and "best of the year" and all sorts of various compliments. She is a definite frontrunner and that's the end of it.

GABOUREY SABIDE - PRECIOUS
~I haven't seen the movie, but everyone's loving her completely natural portrayal of a young woman's who's not exactly having the time of her life to say the least. She's a total lock, and even though I haven't seen her yet, I have confidence in her.

MERYL STREEP - JULIE AND JULIA
~Personally, I was underwhelmed by what she did here, but no one else who can vote was. Besides, people are going to be like WHAT'S MERYL BEEN IN THIS YEAR and vote on autopilot. Forget it, she's a lock. She's been a lock since she decided to take the role.

From this point on, I shall discuss the non-locks.

HELEN MIRREN - THE LAST STATION
~In Contention has faith in her, and that's good enough for me to include her in the discussion. That and she's Helen Mirren. I literally don't know anything about her performance except that her character is Leo Tolstoy's wife.

ABBIE CORNISH - BRIGHT STAR
~And here we have the driving force behind Bright Star, a film I don't have much confidence in. She was a lock for a while, but now I'm not so sure. She's definitely a likely contender, but we'll see.

SAOIRSE RONAN - THE LOVELY BONES
~She allegedly has a passive presence in the novel, so I don't know how she'll interpret the material given to her for the film. Nonetheless, she proved herself in Atonement and we're giving her a Clint Eastwood-Invictus kind of faith that she'll do something Oscarworthy.

AUDREY TAUTOU - COCO BEFORE CHANEL
~I feel she's more likely that people give her credit for. Coco's been performing well at the box office considering its limited appeal and status as a foreign language film. Tautou isn't her usual, lovely self, and maybe that's enough to get her a nomination. She catches the essence of her character while doing something different in terms of performance. She doesn't always need to be quirky, right?

EMILY BLUNT - THE YOUNG VICTORIA
~She's been on my radar recently as one of the finest actresses of her generation and her role here may prove to be a fine display of her acting chops. The material, based on the trailer, seems a little dry, but she's bringing out the best of it. I don't think she'll be nominated because ultimately The Young Victoria probably won't have enough steam, but we'll see.

MICHELLE PFEIFFER - CHERI
~I personally hated the film and was underwhelmed by her performance, but other people loved it and her, so there you go.

CHARLOTTE GAINSBOURG - ANTICHRIST
~I just saw the film last night and what she accomplished her is nothing short of astounding. She paints a completely unrealistic portrayal of a woman suffering from grief in Lars Von Trier's allegorical world, with a courageous display of flesh to boot. It's a performance for the ages regardless of how it's interpreted, and if the Academy acknowledges this as such I'll forgive them for Citizen Kane. Just Citizen Kane, though. They don't get a pass on Crash, Shakespeare in Love, and other egregiousness.

TILDA SWINTON - JULIA
~If people watch it, they'll be haunted. But they won't.

HILARY SWANK - AMELIA
~The film suffered such a backlash no one's going to even think about her anymore, but I suppose I could be wrong.

ROBIN WRIGHT PENN - THE PRIVATE LIVES OF PIPPA LEE
~I don't know what to think about this one, but someone said she was good, so here she is. This strikes me as an Indie Spirit Award nomination, tops.

MICHELLE MONAGHAN - TRUCKER
~Unless she gets a marketing campaign on the level of The Reader, it probably won't happen. The box office performance has been terrible, even for indie film standards.

NATALIE PORTMAN - BROTHERS
~Other than Ronan, this is probably the only other one no one's sure of yet. She might have something worth celebrating here, but let's not get excited.

As I see it:

Carey Mulligan
Gabourey Sabide
Meryl Streep
Helen Mirren
Saoirse Ronan

I feel like cheering on Saoirse. Why not?

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:54 pm
Post Re: Best Actress

Helen Mirren is still a MILF. IMO

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm
don't you mean a GILF....or is even a mom in the first place?

Nothing makes sense anymore!

*jumps out of a window*

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 pm
from WIKI...

Mirren has no children and says she has "no maternal instinct whatsoever." Previously, in 1990, Mirren stated in an interview that she is an atheist.

I may love her even more now...

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm
Pedro wrote:
CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN

I totally wanted to steal Pedro's line and claim I invented it, but I don't know anything about the actress so I went over to imdb. This is a brief summary of what transpired...

Filmography...let's see...nope. Haven't seen her in anything. I should get around to watching Pride & Prejudice.

Whoa, she's in Public Enemies AND Brothers too? Damn, this chick is blowing up big time.

Upcoming films...she's in Never Let Me Go. Hey, that's something I'm really looking forward too and I haven't even started the book yet (it's next in the queue). Her other projects all sound good. Good directors and/or costars.

Damn, I think I'm supporting her for the Oscar even if I don't see An Education. CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN, say it everybody.

Let's see her bio...

Born in 85, wants to do a play every year, yadda yadda yadda.

Wait, what's this?

Is in a relationship with Shia LaBeouf as of August 2009, having met him when they began filming Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps (2010) together.

What th,,kpakdp0294i0 sokf&^NO CARRIER

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 pm
Pedro wrote:

I heard her performance was the best this year hands down. Didn't see it, however, since it isnt playing ANYWHERE!

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:08 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN

I totally wanted to steal Pedro's line and claim I invented it, but I don't know anything about the actress so I went over to imdb. This is a brief summary of what transpired...

Filmography...let's see...nope. Haven't seen her in anything. I should get around to watching Pride & Prejudice.

Whoa, she's in Public Enemies AND Brothers too? Damn, this chick is blowing up big time.

Upcoming films...she's in Never Let Me Go. Hey, that's something I'm really looking forward too and I haven't even started the book yet (it's next in the queue). Her other projects all sound good. Good directors and/or costars.

Damn, I think I'm supporting her for the Oscar even if I don't see An Education. CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN, say it everybody.

Let's see her bio...

Born in 85, wants to do a play every year, yadda yadda yadda.

Wait, what's this?

Is in a relationship with Shia LaBeouf as of August 2009, having met him when they began filming Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps (2010) together.

What th,,kpakdp0294i0 sokf&^NO CARRIER

Her appearance is Brothers is interesting. Earlyish in the film, she's chilling in the house. We knows this because these's a shot of her looking Carey Mulligan worried. One shot. Then that's it until later in the film where she's talking to Natalie Portman. AND SHE HAS A BABY. Ignore the fact she's SEVENTEEN in An Education.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It turns out she WAS pregnant at the end of An Education, but she was so ashamed, she flew over to America, lost her British accent entirely, apparently aged a few years, had her kid, dyed her hair, married Patrick Flueger, and then lost him overseas at the hands of an angry Spider-Man with a beard. Awesome.

As far as dating LeBeouf goes... well, no one's perfect.

As it stands right now:

CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN
Streep
Sabide
Mirren
Bullock - I guess

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Pedro wrote:
As it stands right now:

CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN
Streep
Sabide
Mirren
Bullock - I guess

No love for Robin Wright, huh?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:18 am
Pedro wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and skip a maudlin introduction and launch into a discussion about the locks for Best Actress, because there are three at this point and it's very exciting.

CAREY FUCKIN' MULLIGAN - AN EDUCATION
~At this point, I think she'll win. An Education is gaining a lot of steam, to the point where I think it's a definite lock for Best Picture (an opinion some people on the board don't necessarily agree with, and I get it). Regardless of whether or not it ends up with that nomination, you can bet cold hard cash than Carey Mulligan WILL be nominated. People are saying "the birth of a star" and "like Audrey Hepburn" and "best of the year" and all sorts of various compliments. She is a definite frontrunner and that's the end of it.

GABOUREY SABIDE - PRECIOUS
~I haven't seen the movie, but everyone's loving her completely natural portrayal of a young woman's who's not exactly having the time of her life to say the least. She's a total lock, and even though I haven't seen her yet, I have confidence in her.

MERYL STREEP - JULIE AND JULIA
~Personally, I was underwhelmed by what she did here, but no one else who can vote was. Besides, people are going to be like WHAT'S MERYL BEEN IN THIS YEAR and vote on autopilot. Forget it, she's a lock. She's been a lock since she decided to take the role.

From this point on, I shall discuss the non-locks.

HELEN MIRREN - THE LAST STATION
~In Contention has faith in her, and that's good enough for me to include her in the discussion. That and she's Helen Mirren. I literally don't know anything about her performance except that her character is Leo Tolstoy's wife.

ABBIE CORNISH - BRIGHT STAR
~And here we have the driving force behind Bright Star, a film I don't have much confidence in. She was a lock for a while, but now I'm not so sure. She's definitely a likely contender, but we'll see.

SAOIRSE RONAN - THE LOVELY BONES
~She allegedly has a passive presence in the novel, so I don't know how she'll interpret the material given to her for the film. Nonetheless, she proved herself in Atonement and we're giving her a Clint Eastwood-Invictus kind of faith that she'll do something Oscarworthy.

AUDREY TAUTOU - COCO BEFORE CHANEL
~I feel she's more likely that people give her credit for. Coco's been performing well at the box office considering its limited appeal and status as a foreign language film. Tautou isn't her usual, lovely self, and maybe that's enough to get her a nomination. She catches the essence of her character while doing something different in terms of performance. She doesn't always need to be quirky, right?

EMILY BLUNT - THE YOUNG VICTORIA
~She's been on my radar recently as one of the finest actresses of her generation and her role here may prove to be a fine display of her acting chops. The material, based on the trailer, seems a little dry, but she's bringing out the best of it. I don't think she'll be nominated because ultimately The Young Victoria probably won't have enough steam, but we'll see.

MICHELLE PFEIFFER - CHERI
~I personally hated the film and was underwhelmed by her performance, but other people loved it and her, so there you go.

CHARLOTTE GAINSBOURG - ANTICHRIST
~I just saw the film last night and what she accomplished her is nothing short of astounding. She paints a completely unrealistic portrayal of a woman suffering from grief in Lars Von Trier's allegorical world, with a courageous display of flesh to boot. It's a performance for the ages regardless of how it's interpreted, and if the Academy acknowledges this as such I'll forgive them for Citizen Kane. Just Citizen Kane, though. They don't get a pass on Crash, Shakespeare in Love, and other egregiousness.

TILDA SWINTON - JULIA
~If people watch it, they'll be haunted. But they won't.

HILARY SWANK - AMELIA
~The film suffered such a backlash no one's going to even think about her anymore, but I suppose I could be wrong.

~I don't know what to think about this one, but someone said she was good, so here she is. This strikes me as an Indie Spirit Award nomination, tops.

MICHELLE MONAGHAN - TRUCKER
~Unless she gets a marketing campaign on the level of The Reader, it probably won't happen. The box office performance has been terrible, even for indie film standards.

NATALIE PORTMAN - BROTHERS
~Other than Ronan, this is probably the only other one no one's sure of yet. She might have something worth celebrating here, but let's not get excited.

As I see it:

Carey Mulligan
Gabourey Sabide
Meryl Streep
Helen Mirren
Saoirse Ronan

I feel like cheering on Saoirse. Why not?

I understand that you have listed the locks for the oscar. but whom in your opinion deserves to win, i feel that you should only base your opinion on films you have actually seen, not just what the buzz is.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 pm
p604 wrote:
I understand that you have listed the locks for the oscar. but whom in your opinion deserves to win, i feel that you should only base your opinion on films you have actually seen, not just what the buzz is.

Haha, I'm not going to reveal that until I do my voting for the ReelViews Oscars (and after I've seen a few more performances). XD But I've spoken highly of Charlotte Gainsbourg's performance in Antichrist, so there's one.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:56 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]