Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:32 am

260 - Night of the Living Dead (1968) 
Post 260 - Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Night of the Living Dead is one of the most important films of the genre. It sits alongside a very few films that are genuinely terrifying. I had not previously seen it which was a glaring omission.

Filmed on a small budget over 40 years ago this grainy black and white film Romero brilliantly portrays the horror of people realizing that something dreadful is happening around them. It's not flesh ripping zombies that are so fearsome, but the people listing to news reports and starting to discover that something awful is happening in their neighborhood. As a first film it's remarkably assured in it's single minded direction.

I wish modern directors could learn from Romero's cold, non flashy approach. There is a grim awfulness in here and an ending that is just a complete downer, but perfect for it. It's a brutal experience watching this movie and crucial viewing for anyone with even a vague interest in the genre.

Dawn of the Dead is supposed to be even better. I can't wait. 8/10
Rob

Sat May 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Post Re: 260 - Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead is a masterpiece of tone and everything else. An epic.

-

I love George Romero in the 60s and 70s; Martin, generally underseen, is a wonderful existential drama/horror film and Season of the Witch has some wonderful imagery/ideas (especially in the first act). Night of the Living Dead, made for all the loose change in Romero's pocket, is a fine example of what can be done when resources are dry but the story must be told.

Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 am