Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 am

765 - The Tenant (1976) 
Post 765 - The Tenant (1976)
Roman Polanski polarizes opinion about his life and his movies. I'm a fan because he has a great body of work including Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, Chinatown (one of my all time favorites), Tess, the recent Ghost Writer, The Pianist and this movie which sits in the top 1000 of all time? Two years after completing "Chinatown", Polanksi was back in Paris to direct and star in "The Tenant", a psychological thriller that maybe one of the greatest portrayals of isolated madness.

The film begins with an homage to two Hitchcock classics, most obviously, "Rear Window" but also the opening shot of "Psycho". The director instantly creates a character out of the apartment block where Trelkovsky will live. This little man finds his apartment and immediately discovers (courtesy of Shelley Winters) that the previous tenant jumped out of the window and is in hospital. Nobody will explain why.

Trelkovsky starts out as intelligent and shy but quite normal. Over the next 120 minutes he will descend into madness. I won't say more.

Polanski the actor is simply perfect as the creepy Tenant and his change through the film is managed beautifully. I really believed in the character and his plight. Polanski the director steadily builds tension and suspense as we know something is wrong but are not quite sure what. The pacing of the movie is critical, though some might find it slow. He is well supported by no less than Ingmar Bergman's cinematographer.

Many of us have lived alone in small apartments. They can be soul destroying and isolating places. I am struggling to remember a film that better captures the sense of isolation and detachment, almost claustrophobia. Trelkovsky's world collapses in on him to the point where everything is about him.

Note - I do wish Isabelle Adjani had more screen time. I fell in love with her in the early eighties. Check out Subway, Possession and L'Ete Meurtrier - avoid Ishtar!

There's something very David Lynch in this film. Very strongly recommended
8/10

Rob

Thu May 19, 2011 3:37 pm
Post Re: 765 - The Tenant (1976)
Cool write-up, Rob. I've been wanting to see this for quite a while. I remember reading that the Coens were influenced by this film when making Barton Fink. The whole apartment/hotel room thing makes sense. Any thoughts on that?

Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Cool write-up, Rob. I've been wanting to see this for quite a while. I remember reading that the Coens were influenced by this film when making Barton Fink. The whole apartment/hotel room thing makes sense. Any thoughts on that?

Hi there

Indeed you're right. Thought I personally find Barton Fink to not be one of their best. I need to revisit I guess as i i last saw it in September 1991! Yikes 20 years.

Rob

Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Hi there

Indeed you're right. Thought I personally find Barton Fink to not be one of their best. I need to revisit I guess as i i last saw it in September 1991! Yikes 20 years.

Rob

And Polanski was the president of Cannes Jury awarding the Palme d'Or to Barton Fink.

Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 pm
Freedom_Fryer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Hi there

Rob

And Polanski was the president of Cannes Jury awarding the Palme d'Or to Barton Fink.

Holy amazing Factoid situation Freedom Flyer!
Rob

Mon May 30, 2011 2:58 pm