Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

407 - An Affair To Remember 
Post 407 - An Affair To Remember
This is a strange one. Whilst the film is a decent romance with the great Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, it's also a flawed movie.

Womanizer Grant is on a cruise and is due to be married upon his return to New York. He meets Kerr and falls in love. She too is set to be married. They agree to meet atop the Empire State Building in 6 months.

The first half of the film is superb and the interplay between Grant and Kerr is electric. They arrive back in New York and the whole thing goes a bit flat. At 120 minutes there are many scenes of blatant filler.

I am wondering what i have missed? Why is this film one the finest 500 films ever made?

Don't get me wrong. It's enjoyable, lightweight and very engaging. But a great movie it is not.

6/10
Rob

Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm
Post Re: 407 - An Affair To Remember
Ah, I now understand you picture in the Guess That Movie Game much better. I recently saw this and agree with what you have to say. I wrote this recently:

ed_metal_head wrote:
#463 An Affair to Remember (Leo McCarey, 1957) is ranked as the 5th Most Romantic Movie of all-time by the AFI. I believe this is the 5th Stupidest Decision the AFI has ever made. There's a lot to like in the picture, but there's also an unbelievable amount of padding. Cary Grant was never a great actor but he was always fun to watch. Here he was just kind of bland. After watching the film I was annoyed to find out that the movie is a remake (I prefer to see remakes after the original) of Love Affair (1939, same director). On the other hand, I'm excited to see the original now. My chief problem with the remake is that it's much too long (a full 2 hours) whereas the original is only supposed to be 86 minutes. That sounds like the perfect length for the amount of story presented. The original was also one of 10 pictures nominated for Best Picture in that great year of 1939 which makes me wonder if the AFI isn't praising the wrong version of the picture. I hope to find out soon. 6/10 for the remake.

I subsequently saw Love Affair and liked it better. It has all the good parts of the Cary Grant picture, but without the padding. The problem with the original is that it lacks the chemistry of the remake. However, I gave the original a high 7/10, which is better than the 6 for the remake.

I'm also confused about the high placing the Cary Grant version gets on historical lists. I blame the movie Sleepless in Seattle which inserted several scenes from An Affair to Remember and ended up romanticising the movie more than it deserved.

Wed May 11, 2011 12:51 pm
Post Re: 407 - An Affair To Remember
Wow Ed,

We had a remarkably similar take on the film. I have not seen the original

Rob

Wed May 11, 2011 4:52 pm