Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 am

1000+ - Winchester '73 
Post 1000+ - Winchester '73
James Stewart stars and Anthony Mann directs one of my favorite westerns that centers round a classic gun.

The story is fairly typical, involving the good guy, evil deads by the bad guys, the search and an unsurprising resolution. Those looking for a complex and unconventional narrative arc, should go elsewhere. However, if you want great drama, interesting back stories, a surprisingly dark and violent theme, wonderful characters and acting and a satisfying return to tales of the wild west, you'll be at home.

The gun of the title is the grand prize for a shoot out being held by Marshall Wyatt Earp. James Stewart battles the bad guys and wins the gun. Within minutes he is mugged and the bad guys make off with the gun. Stewart begins a relentless search for his weapon.

Special note - check out a brief early role for one Anthony Curtis

8/10
Rob

PS - 1000+ because it was introduced to the list recently

Fri May 06, 2011 3:17 pm
Post Re: 1000+ - Winchester '73
Great film, and possibly the best of the Mann/Stewart westerns, though I prefer Bend of the River.

Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 am
Post Re: 1000+ - Winchester '73
MGamesCook wrote:
Great film, and possibly the best of the Mann/Stewart westerns, though I prefer Bend of the River.

I saw BOTR many many years ago and only gave it a 6. Clearly in need of a revisit.
Shane up next though

It's funny, but the more westerns i see the more perplexed I am about people's love of John Wayne
Rob

Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 am