Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 am

192 - Jalsaghar - The Music Room (1958) 
Post 192 - Jalsaghar - The Music Room (1958)
Satyajit Ray is one of the great directors in cinematic history, most famous for his Apu trilogy.

Here he gives us an insight into indian culture in the 1930's with his Shakespearean tragedy centering round the desperate attempts of a rich man to hang on to his status and self esteem. he lives alone in a decaying palace in the midst of the plains of India.

Some of the imagery is quite startling and will stay with me for a long time. Swinging chandeliers, close up portraits of the main character Huzur, spiders, elephants and horses riding across landscapes. There's a feeling of almost slow motion

There is something deeply haunting about this magnificent movie. It's a perfect example of why I love this journey. I would never have bothered with renting a 50 year old indian movie from someone I'd never previously heard of. It would have been my mistake.

Music room will not be for everyone, but those interested in great movies that deserve their position within the cinematic pantheon should check it out. At under 100 minutes it flies by.

9/10
Rob

Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 am