Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 am

181 - Celine Et Julie Vont Un Bateau 
Post 181 - Celine Et Julie Vont Un Bateau
I have lived in Paris, Geneva and Brussels for a total of ten years. Over that time my schoolboy French improved enough to enable me to watch films without or sans sous titres (subtitles) and converse with people quite happily. I was never fluent. Sad for me that almost 20 years over here has demolished that skill.

That said, I love French cinema. There is a "Joie De Vivre" (joyfulness) and honesty that is often missing in British and American movies. They are essentially different. Not better, just different.

We've all seen films from Godard, Truffaut, Melville, but I've no real experience with Jacques Rivette. I've read and heard lots, but never really seen much.

This just changed.

Celine and Julie Don't Really Go Boating is a 193 minute free form film, almost documentary style about two young women who become infatuated with each other in Paris. It was made in 1974 and is considered to be experimental.

Be warned, this can be a maddening experience that will leave you frustrated within 45 minutes and wondering what on earth can happen over the next two and a half hours. This film ranks in the advanced category of Calveros list. However, if you can go here and survive the madness, you're in for an unforgettable cinematic experience.

Whats it all about?

Julie is sitting in a park when Celine goes running by throwing off clothes and Julie follows. They end up together and ultimately drawn into a fantasy world.

I love this movie with a vengeance. It's so fresh and joyous, but also long and easy to drift away from as it's not a standard narrative form.

Then at the center is Celine, played by Juliet Berto. She is sexuality personified naked and with clothes on. She's ravishing gorgeous and the complete object of ours and Julie's attention. She's quintessentially French.

This is a film lovers film, not an easy watch with a beer.

If you can do what's needed you're in for a real treat.
9/10 with a real chance at 10.

Rob

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 am
Post Re: 181 - Celine Et Julie Vont Un Bateau
Sounds reminiscent of Jeanne Dielman, one of the last three-hour experimental French movies you steered me too ;)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:56 am
Hi JJ

I had Jeanne Dielman on my mind. very different film though. This film is a free spirit, fun, light, very sexual and completely intoxicating if you buy into it. JD is intense, methodical and searing.

Yet they are a pair, if you get my drift

Rob

PS - I subsequently read that Celine / Juliet Berto would die of breast cancer just a few years later. Tragic :-(

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:39 am
Ahhhh, Jacques Rivette. I'm not sure if this is a good film to start off with him. Maybe The Duchess of Langeais or Va Savoir would be better, since they're newer (and, you know, not OOP).

How did you come across this film, anyway?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:43 am
Pedro wrote:
Ahhhh, Jacques Rivette. I'm not sure if this is a good film to start off with him. Maybe The Duchess of Langeais or Va Savoir would be better, since they're newer (and, you know, not OOP).

How did you come across this film, anyway?

Hi Pedro

My first film from Jacques Rivette on this journey. two or three to follow.

Check out Amazon UK - about $12

Rob

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:

Start with La belle noiseuse, a four-hour film on the pros and cons af art making. Half-hour of naked Emmanuelle Beart does not hurt too. Ignore bastardized shorter versions.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm