Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:01 pm

134 - Earth (1930) 
Post 134 - Earth (1930)
I am continuing the Russian leg of my journey. I'm back in 1930 and the world of propaganda for the communist party. I'm seeing films that would have slipped me by if I had not taken this journey. This exposure to Russian cineam over 50 years ago has been one of my favorite parts.

There are several aspects that make this film worthwhile. It's a massive thinly veiled assault on your senses for 75 minutes with huge shots coming faster than a machine gun and dramatic Russian music to back it up. This film literally screams at you. Just check out some of the portraits of the peasants, the fields of corn blowing in the wind, the use of rain....

What's it about? Politics and technology at work in the countryside! it's themes are the exploitation of the workers and the relentless march of technology (agricultural machines). All of this is thrown together with daring cuts and montages that really do bust off your screen.

At 75 minutes it flies by and is strongly recommended for those interested in world cinema and movies from a very different era. 8/10

Rob

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 am