Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:13 pm

785 - The End of St. Petersburg 
Post 785 - The End of St. Petersburg
On with my Russian film season

Here's a weird stupidity. This movie is on a disc from Netflix with two others. Somehow I pressed the wrong film and saw this. As I often do with the classics I try to read nothing about them before watching the movie. I did not even notice that there were three films on the same disc.

I was surprised to see that the film was called something different, but the Netflix sleeve had said Earth. It was in Russian - so hey off we go.

What followed was one of the most brutal war films I have seen. if you think saving Private Ryan or Paths of Glory is tough, you've seen nothing! made in 1927, it's a "silent" movie that runs a brisk 85 minutes.

Set to stirring Russian classical music this film depicts the story of a peasant who comes from the fields to town looking for work. Just as he arrives, the workers revolt and go on strike. he gets involved in stuff and is conscripted into the army.

Now the second half of the film is about the war. I will say nothing except that I sat here open mouthed at the horrors of hand to hand combat and trench warfare.

Some context.

I know nothing about this film, but can say that it appears to be a full on propaganda picture for the communist party in the 1920's. the portrayal of capitalists, the workers, the uprising and imagery of Russian statues weeping all combine to create an almost hallucinatory experience.

It's rare that you see a film knowing absolutely nothing beforehand. If you're into historic world cinema this is a complete must see - Discoveries like this are why I started the journey. I can guarantee that n film released anywhere in the world this weekend will come even close. 9/10

Rob

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm