Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:28 am

582 - A Band A Part - More Godard 
Post 582 - A Band A Part - More Godard
Hi there

Tonight I'm on to yet more Godard in my project to try and understand this revered and reviled director. My 10th movie and it's taken a serious course of deep diving to finally understand Jean Luc Godard. Of course the real title is A Band of Outsiders, but i could not resist.

Having seen close to 600 of the top 1000 movies I feel I have some perspective here.

It's just too easy to proclaim Godard as pretentious and move on. Ironically, you'd be 25% correct. I have been in this camp but have slowly come to understand one of the more difficult directors within the canon that we call Great Movies.

Godard is a showman, he's desperate to impress and often falls flat. But in his efforts to swing for the fences there is genius littered amongst the carnage.

He is the antithesis of the journeyman or studio director. He's constantly pushing boundaries, profoundly political and always trying new stuff, with the knowledge that it won't always work. Only Tarantino within modern directors comes close and here is the irony, Tarantino loves Godard. To the point of naming his production company after this film.

Breathless is the common entry point to Godard and this film is it's cousin. A heist movie that made me feel breathless with it's vivid black and white photography, jumps between styles, locations and even outside the 4th wall.

I simply love this movie with a vengeance. A straight 9/10 with a shot at 10 I'd argue that it's even more interesting than Breathless.

I'm sorry, I have not even explained the story. Simple. 2 guys encounter a hot chick who knows the whereabouts of a stash of money.

Godard's movies are so fresh, alive and current. may are political but this is not.

What to say? I started out sorely disappointed and proclaiming serious doubts about the director. OK, it took over 5 movies to make me a convert, which is may more than most will endure. That said, he one of the easiest directors to deride and the hardest to admire. But if you can persevere - like me - I'm shocked to say that I'm a huge fan.

I'd push you to look at the photography. It's a street photographers masterclass. Add to that the super shallow depth of field portrait work on the three leads. Sublime!

I need to start a separate thread about "Nouvelle Vague" or The French New Wave. It maybe one of the most important periods in all world cinema and it certainly had profound influences on American cinema in the late 60's and 70's.

All this said, Godard's movie is an undoubted masterpiece. Now off to read about the movie from real critics.

Rob

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 am
Post Re: 582 - A Band A Part - More Godard
Robert Holloway wrote:
I need to start a separate thread about "Nouvelle Vague" or The French New Wave. It maybe one of the most important periods in all world cinema and it certainly had profound influences on American cinema in the late 60's and 70's.

A French New Wave thread would be good - as well as the big names (Godard and Truffaut), there are a number of other great directors in the group.

Re Bande a Part - there's a particular quality about Godard's movies starring Anna Karina; the relationship between them seems to have assisted in performances of variety and intensity from Karina.

Tangentially, there's a short film-within-a-film in Agnes Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7 which stars both Godard and Karina. This is the extract on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5QrOhTuUQ

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:04 pm
Post Re: 582 - A Band A Part - More Godard
domani wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

A French New Wave thread would be good - as well as the big names (Godard and Truffaut), there are a number of other great directors in the group.

Re Bande a Part - there's a particular quality about Godard's movies starring Anna Karina; the relationship between them seems to have assisted in performances of variety and intensity from Karina.

Tangentially, there's a short film-within-a-film in Agnes Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7 which stars both Godard and Karina. This is the extract on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5QrOhTuUQ

Hey, anyone interested in a thread on The French New Wave?

Potential interesting angles:
- What was the French new Wave?
- The most important 15 years in cinema?
- The directors?
- Best films?
- Influence on the future?

Rob

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:56 pm