Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

404 - Godard's 1966 - Masculin, Feminin 
Post 404 - Godard's 1966 - Masculin, Feminin
Roger Ebert writes, that it's relevant that he enjoys Godard more with each viewing.

Godard is not an easy director to fall in love with on a first cinematic date

I believe that he is showy, pretentious, loud and self centered.

But he's also a master,a showman and important

The problem we face is forgetting the negatives we perceive about the man and thinking about the film stand alone

MF is alive, vital, interesting, loud, political and critical

The B&W photography on the Criterion disc is gorgeous

8/10 for me and another step towards becoming a convert

Has anyone seen this movie?

Rob

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 am
Post Re: 404 - Godard's 1966 - Masculin, Feminin
I saw it in class about a month ago. I like to think it has everything but the kitchen sink in it, including references to his own films. Godard should adapt something by Vladimir Nabokov.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 am
Pedro wrote:
I saw it in class about a month ago. I like to think it has everything but the kitchen sink in it, including references to his own films. Godard should adapt something by Vladimir Nabokov.

Pedro,
What did you think of MF? I expect a dissertation if you studied it :-)
Doesn't Kubrick own Nabokov?
Rob

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:46 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Pedro,
What did you think of MF?I expect a dissertation if you studied it :-)
Doesn't Kubrick own Nabokov?
Rob

Well, the film's as much about "The Children of Marx and Coca Cola," to quote Godard, as it is about everything else in the world. It has a burgeoning political force trying to break through the surface as well as an overwhelming urge to bastardize its parents's expectations. At the same time, it has a great respect for the cinema of yore. There's a line taken directly from The Rules of the Game, as well as shots in certain sections.

The film's in fifteen precise parts. This is somewhat true, evidenced by that weird sound effect (I think), but only certain sections have headings and they certainly aren't precise. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for choosing certain headings when. It's like Masculin Féminin is a teenager who is caught between going to film school and majoring in business. Furthermore, it's like Godard thinks he's bridging the gap between papa's cinema and the new wave. He's not, but he feels like it. That's an important distinction reflected in the filmmaking. (Godard's clearly seen The 400 Blows.)

Masculin Féminin also, as the name implies, deals with issues of sexuality. It seems to blatantly disregard most of the female characters as hotheaded, but most of the male characters are painted as naive. There's nothing in the word "féminin" the main character claims... except the word "fin." Are women the be all end all after all? There's certainly more to the women than the men like to think, but does it go both ways? There's nothing in the word "masculin" as far as I can see. Then again, I don't know French.

This film is a melting pot of every 60s reference you can think of, of course. It's easy to see how Tarantino translated the Godard charm into Tarantino charm.

Kubrick doesn't own Nabokov; he merely filmed Nabokov's own adaptation of Lolita. Godard should adapt Pale Fire, which is basically unadaptable. He could do it, though.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 am
Pedro

Thanks for this. I'm increasingly becoming a convert

I know Kubrick doesn't "own" Nabakov :-)

Rob

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am