Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm

130 - A Man Escaped 
Post 130 - A Man Escaped
Robert Bresson is a director that I had never heard of until recently. I have now seen four of his films and believe that he a genuine claim for a seat at the table of the 4-6 greatest directors who ever lived.

Tonight I saw my fourth Bresson. It scored a perfect 10 - hold on let me stop you. I have seen over 10,000 movies and only 40 ever scored a 10. I don't throw this around. I'm meaner on this than James can ever hope to be.

This film is the greatest prison drama I have ever seen.
This film contains some of the most stunning black and white composition
This film has maybe the best voice over in all of movies

What makes the film so great is that it combines drama and suspense and mixes it up into a heady brew that is quasi spiritual. You will feel genuinely moved by many scenes.

The Story...
A French guy get imprisoned by the nazi's and sentenced to death. he meticulously sets about escaping. It's a true story.

I want to shout from the roof tops about this movie. It's thrilling, soulful and genuinely uplifting. if you're wondering what to watch next and you have a Netflix account or access to an awesome library or vid store - rent it.

This is no stuffy classic. It's a great movie that just happens to be wickedly entertaining.

If you're into still photography the use of depth of field, high black levels and deep contrast are all exemplary. Note the use of thirds and framing in bottom corners. It's a master class.

Bresson has 8 films in the top 100 out of only 14 he ever directed. After 4 films I'm in love with his work and clearly in need of revisiting the donkey.

I've been watching the showy Godard recently and it's interesting to compare him with the minimalist Bresson.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Next up L'Argent
Rob

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 am
Post Re: 130 - A Man Escaped
Bresson is one of those remarkably consistent directors. If you like one of his films, odds are you'll appreciate all of them. Pickpocket, Mouchette, Trial of Joan of Arc, and Lancelot of the Lake are also worth checking out.

Loved Pickpocket and Mouchette is in my queue. He may be consistent, but it's at a level that the majority of directors can only dream about.
Rob

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 pm
Post Re: 130 - A Man Escaped
MGames
You're right. And his consistent place is higher than most can even dream of.
Mouchette up next
Rob

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:56 am