Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am

182 - L'Eclisse 
Post 182 - L'Eclisse
James recently posted a blog about why we watch movies. Ultimately it's all about being entertained, however if you can transcend this and achieve simultaneous artistic satisfaction, it's surely the ultimate sensation for any serious movie goer.

So, could I recover from the frustration of L'Aventurra and rediscover a love of Antonioni with L'Eclisse?

You bet I can. I'm so psyched by this movie that I am now desperate to ramp L'Aventurra up my Netflix queue and watch it again.

I have finished the movie and am now half way through watching it again with the outstanding Criterion commentary

If I was gay, and Angelique (my GF) is convinced that I am, Alain Delon would be my dream boy. Of course I've loved him in many movies including Le Samourai. But here he is simply ravishing. He just bursts off the screen. This is important as he's up against Antonioni drooling portrayal of Monica Vitti. He is stunning.

L'Eclisse is a great movie. It works on so many levels

It's a sexual hot burner.
It's a photographer's wet dream - just look at the B&W composition and those deep blacks
It's a meditation on materialism

I'm sending the disc back to Netflix knowing that the next time Criterion has a sale this will be added to my collection. It's a simply amazing movie for anyone interested in classic cinema.

James may be losing his love of modern cinema. I am with him on that one. But films like L'Eclisse instantly remind me why I love movies with a vengeance.

As a keen photographer it makes me want to banish color from my life. It's that good.

If you're not sure about old movies, black and white movies, or subtitled movies this may not be the best place to start, but if you're into classic movies, this is simply a must!

9/10 with a definite chance to hit 10 upon future viewings
(Note - I have seen over 10,000 movies and only 40 ever scored 10)

Rob

PS - James - I have watched endless dross over the last 3 months and this film makes my heart sing. Give it a try! If you need your faith restored - this will really do it.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:50 pm
Post Re: 182 - L'Eclisse
I'm interested in seeing L'Eclisse again. And L'Avventura. I don't remember much about either. I do remember disliking L'Eclisse at first (and this was after HATING La Notte) and loving it by the end. I never felt that way about L'Avventura. Definitely need to watch all three again.

I'm glad this movie made your heart sing, Rob!

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:19 am
Hi Pedro

A complete shocker.

L'Aventurra was amy major disappointment along with Godard in the top 100

..... and now this

Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 am
I'm convinced. I'll check this out of the college library as soon as there's an opening in my film schedule.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:58 am
Zeppelin wrote:
I'm convinced. I'll check this out of the college library as soon as there's an opening in my film schedule.

Ditto. I've been meaning to watch L'Avventura as well for ages now. Actually, just more Antonioni in general. Blow Up is one of those films that I appreciate better every time I watch it.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:32 am
I now have to revisit L'Avventura as I was hugely disappointed when i did the top 100
the director has six films in the top 1000

Blow Up, The Passenger and L'Eclisse - I've seen all 3 and really like them all
L'Avventura was the shock
Next up is La Notte and finally Red Desert

Rob

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:39 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Antonioni is my favourite director by far. I saw almost all his films, with exception of China and Eros. My favourites are Blowup, l'Eclisse, Professione: reporter, in that order. When I first made up my top 50 list in the end of eighties, I put them all in top 10.
I am mentioning this, because, although it is easy to guess an Antonioni movie by watching a few frames (pretty much every frame is a pinup), they are quite different. These three are the easiest to like, especially Blowup and Eclisse. Blowup has aged more, but Eclisse, due to unbelievable beautiful cinematography and two of the most gorgeous leads ever (I agree with Robert's opinion on Delon - If I ever had a mancrush- that would be it), looks timeless.

So, as a warning to potential Antonioni viewers - do not start with L'avventura, La notte, deserto rosso and especially Il grido. Only watch them if you like Blowup, l'Eclisse, Professione: reporter.
And if you don't like these, hey, there are many other directors.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm
Freedom_Fryer wrote:
Antonioni is my favourite director by far. I saw almost all his films, with exception of China and Eros. My favourites are Blowup, l'Eclisse, Professione: reporter, in that order. When I first made up my top 50 list in the end of eighties, I put them all in top 10.
I am mentioning this, because, although it is easy to guess an Antonioni movie by watching a few frames (pretty much every frame is a pinup), they are quite different. These three are the easiest to like, especially Blowup and Eclisse. Blowup has aged more, but Eclisse, due to unbelievable beautiful cinematography and two of the most gorgeous leads ever (I agree with Robert's opinion on Delon - If I ever had a mancrush- that would be it), looks timeless.

So, as a warning to potential Antonioni viewers - do not start with L'avventura, La notte, deserto rosso and especially Il grido. Only watch them if you like Blowup, l'Eclisse, Professione: reporter.
And if you don't like these, hey, there are many other directors.

Hey Freedom Fryer

It's great to have an expert on Antonioni join us here in the great movies section.
Don't be a stranger!

I struggled with 'Avventura and will return
Next up for me is La Notte

Rob

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 am
You've piqued my interest Holloway, I've added this to my queue and L'Avventura has been at the top of my Instant Queue for a few days now. I think I'll view it this weekend; I've been craving David Lynch and Luis Buñuel lately (yes Major, if you're reading this, I am watching Viridiana within the next few days) but it looks so good I think I can make the time.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 am

Robert Holloway wrote:
Hey Freedom Fryer

It's great to have an expert on Antonioni join us here in the great movies section.
Don't be a stranger!

I struggled with 'Avventura and will return
Next up for me is La Notte

Rob

Thanks. BTW, if I were you, I would wait for Blu Ray. Red Desert was the first one out, but recently 3 of the earliest movies became available, so within a year or so the main movies should be out.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:22 am
JJoshay wrote:
You've piqued my interest Holloway, I've added this to my queue and L'Avventura has been at the top of my Instant Queue for a few days now. I think I'll view it this weekend; I've been craving David Lynch and Luis Buñuel lately (yes Major, if you're reading this, I am watching Viridiana within the next few days) but it looks so good I think I can make the time.

Definitely agree with Freedom Fryer that the easy entre into Antonioni is Blow Up, L'Eclisse and I'd add The Passenger with Jack Nicholson.

Rob

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Robert Holloway wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Definitely agree with Freedom Fryer that the easy entre into Antonioni is Blow Up, L'Eclisse and I'd add The Passenger with Jack Nicholson.

Rob

Yes, I also mentioned The Passenger under the original name Professione: reporter.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm
Freedom Fryer
Didn't know it was called that, thanks!
Rob

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 pm