Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

160 - The Quiet Man 
Post 160 - The Quiet Man
Hi from Ireland

I feel like I have just downed 20 pints of Murphy's. My head is all clogged up, I'm confused and wondering what happened.

Last night I watched the John Ford, John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara collaboration from 1952. It's lovely to look at, completely charming a nice movie through and through. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But a great movie?

The script is cliched and contrived and it's portrayal of the Irish as drunken gossiping fools is bordering on offensive. It is heavy handed romance that lacks any lightness of touch. I just wished that a team from the ealing comedy group had sprayed their magic on it.

The more I see of John Wayne the less I see any range. He basically is John Wayne in Ireland here. His physical movement, line delivery and presence on screen are clumsy to be kind. In fact there are several scenes where you can see his mind working as he prepares to say his next line.

I don't get John Ford at all. I know that many people love his movies, but this does nothing to convince me of his greatness. Then I see that he won best director, beating out High Noon. I don't get it.

Can anyone help me here, as i start to think I am missing something. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, but why is it great - 7/10

Rob

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:32 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: 160 - The Quiet Man
I'm with you on this one. I only found this movie to be amusing and somewhat entertaining. Not great. This even though I really love the combo of John Ford and John Wayne in their Westerns. Funny you spoke of the Irish stereotyping in the story (I'm half Irish and am not bothered by it). I have John Wayne stereotyped (typecast) in my mind as a cowboy and do not like watching him in any other roles.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:56 pm
CasualDad wrote:
I'm with you on this one. I only found this movie to be amusing and somewhat entertaining. Not great. This even though I really love the combo of John Ford and John Wayne in their Westerns. Funny you spoke of the Irish stereotyping in the story (I'm half Irish and am not bothered by it). I have John Wayne stereotyped (typecast) in my mind as a cowboy and do not like watching him in any other roles.

Hey Casual dad

Nice to "meet" you
Yeah, it's an off one. Totally enjoyable, but hardly great.

John Wayne is an archetype of movie cowboys.
John Ford presents a very unflattering stereotype of the Irish

Rob

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:47 pm
Has anyone seen this and thinks it's "a great movie"?

If not, I guess we're right and the great unwashed is wrong

Rob

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Has anyone seen this and thinks it's "a great movie"?

If not, I guess we're right and the great unwashed is wrong

Rob

I've seen it and I think that it is a great film.
\the fight scene at the end is worth the admission fee alone.
I also loved the chemistry between Wayne and O'Hara.
There were some great funny moments that have traveled well.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:50 pm