Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:28 am

“This is Spinal Tap” (1984) 
Post “This is Spinal Tap” (1984)
“This is Spinal Tap” (1984)

Rob Reiner (appropriately) stars as the director of a “Rockumentary” following the rock band “Spinal Tap”. To say that the collection of individuals comprising the band is over the top, fails to recognize what the “top” truly is. Anyone who has seen a “Behind the Music” episode knows the material: downward spirals, waning popularity, evolution of hair and music styles, infighting, misfired albums, the tragic deaths … The material is ripe for parody. The true humor here lies in the attempts of the band members to be profound or somber. David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean) explains the origins of his name or the circumstances surrounding the spontaneous combustion of one of their drummers. Nigel (Christopher Guest) examines a guitar collection with seriousness and reverence, or notes the splendor of an amplifier that is seemingly “one more” than any other. It is these moments that provide more laughs than many others’ attempts at straight comedy.
I’d not seen McKean carry a film before and I’ll do more to seek his work. Any future subject of “Behind the Music” may wish to view this first, lest they find themselves as entertaining as was “Spinal Tap”.

Awf Hand gives 3.5 out of 4 stars. While the irreverence of the film tended to wear a bit thin, this is still top-shelf entertainment with an insider’s edginess.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am
Post Re: “This is Spinal Tap” (1984)
Like everyone else on earth, I'm a fan of this movie. But I'm not a die-hard; the movie runs at 90 or so minutes but feels much, much longer due to extended unfunny sections. I barely care as the funny sections (Stonehenge, the band getting lost backstage, the "Puppet Show and Spinal Tap" sign) are some of the greatest comedy of the 80s. It's not a 4-star comedy no matter how hard I try to convince myself it is -- it's unevenly paced thanks to good qualities like "character development" and "a story".

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 pm
Post Re: “This is Spinal Tap” (1984)
"Mine goes to Eleven."
I was in a meeting where we were being sold an application where is had a range from 1 to 10.
I said that i wanted mine to go to Eleven.
The rep had never seen the film and he used the same replies that Marti Beburg when enquiring why I should be enough
one of the women at the meeting nearly pissed herself trying to stop from laughing.

I got the special editon DVD and the director's commentry is brilliant . All the actors appear in charactor during the whole film and it is worh it for that alone.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:15 am