Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 am

“Plan 9 From Outer Space” (1958) 
Post “Plan 9 From Outer Space” (1958)
“Plan 9 From Outer Space”

I asked myself if this was a “Great” movie, and I found I needed to reflect on the entertainment value offered by Ed Wood Jr.’s “Plan 9”. Taken straight, this would be a dreadful film. But in no way is this a simple analysis.
Jerry Seinfeld commented:
“Just a movie?! You don't understand. This isn't 'Plans 1 through 8 from Outer Space', this is 'Plan 9'. This is the one that worked. The worst movie ever made!” (The Chinese Restaurant)

Indeed.

Jerry literally couldn’t wait to see it. I had to find out why.
The potential for entertainment here is only governed by the mood and humor of the observer. I’m not certain if Ed Wood Jr. would be pleased with our current enjoyment of his own “Day the Earth Stood Still”, meets “Night of the Living Dead”. I hope he had a sense of humor. I hope he could look back at his own work and see the old office desk, the construction barricade flasher and old ham radio equipment meant to represent the mechanisms of advanced interstellar-travelers, and derive a small smile at the silliness. I hope he could hear some of the ridiculous monologue or dialogue and get a chuckle. I hope he could see the cardboard gravestones flapping or plywood airplane controls and laugh. I hope he would appreciate the type and nature of our entertainment, despite his efforts to craft a Sci-Fi horror. Never before have I been so enthralled, or watched a movie three times in one week, than I was with my viewing of “Plan 9”.
To synopsize:
Aliens come to visit, tell us how we ‘should’ be running things and threaten our destruction should we fail to heed. The destruction will occur when the recently dead are brought back to life. These undead will walk, stalk and kill the living. To stop there offers a pretty decent pitch for what could surely be an armrest-gripping scare-fest. The beauty here is in the execution. Starring Bella Lugosi (kind of) and a few other semi-well-known stars of the day, this movie made do with a miniscule budget and limited writing, set building or acting talent. It tries so very hard to be more than it is, and comes up so short that the entertainment value comes from the unintended.

Awf Hand notes that rating this movie must come with a disclaimer. Is this a great movie? -I agree with Seinfeld. It has to be the worst movie ever made. No stars awarded for quality of filmmaking, script or acting. Is this movie fantastic entertainment?? Absolutely! The disk I viewed had options for trivia subtitles, voiceover work by Mike Nelson (MST 3k), and even a colorized version. I viewed it three times and still want more. Awf Hand awards four stars for the entertainment value of this campy “classic”.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 am
Post Re: “Plan 9 From Outer Space” (1958)
Awf Hand wrote:
“Plan 9 From Outer Space”

I asked myself if this was a “Great” movie, and I found I needed to reflect on the entertainment value offered by Ed Wood Jr.’s “Plan 9”. Taken straight, this would be a dreadful film. But in no way is this a simple analysis.
Jerry Seinfeld commented:
“Just a movie?! You don't understand. This isn't 'Plans 1 through 8 from Outer Space', this is 'Plan 9'. This is the one that worked. The worst movie ever made!” (The Chinese Restaurant)

Indeed.

Jerry literally couldn’t wait to see it. I had to find out why.
The potential for entertainment here is only governed by the mood and humor of the observer. I’m not certain if Ed Wood Jr. would be pleased with our current enjoyment of his own “Day the Earth Stood Still”, meets “Night of the Living Dead”. I hope he had a sense of humor. I hope he could look back at his own work and see the old office desk, the construction barricade flasher and old ham radio equipment meant to represent the mechanisms of advanced interstellar-travelers, and derive a small smile at the silliness. I hope he could hear some of the ridiculous monologue or dialogue and get a chuckle. I hope he could see the cardboard gravestones flapping or plywood airplane controls and laugh. I hope he would appreciate the type and nature of our entertainment, despite his efforts to craft a Sci-Fi horror. Never before have I been so enthralled, or watched a movie three times in one week, than I was with my viewing of “Plan 9”.
To synopsize:
Aliens come to visit, tell us how we ‘should’ be running things and threaten our destruction should we fail to heed. The destruction will occur when the recently dead are brought back to life. These undead will walk, stalk and kill the living. To stop there offers a pretty decent pitch for what could surely be an armrest-gripping scare-fest. The beauty here is in the execution. Starring Bella Lugosi (kind of) and a few other semi-well-known stars of the day, this movie made do with a miniscule budget and limited writing, set building or acting talent. It tries so very hard to be more than it is, and comes up so short that the entertainment value comes from the unintended.

Awf Hand notes that rating this movie must come with a disclaimer. Is this a great movie? -I agree with Seinfeld. It has to be the worst movie ever made. No stars awarded for quality of filmmaking, script or acting. Is this movie fantastic entertainment?? Absolutely! The disk I viewed had options for trivia subtitles, voiceover work by Mike Nelson (MST 3k), and even a colorized version. I viewed it three times and still want more. Awf Hand awards four stars for the entertainment value of this campy “classic”.

Hooray!

I feel like people jump on me every time I extoll the virtues of this movie.
of course it's not technical genius, but there's magic in here

I have seen it several times and always look forward to meeting Ed and the team again. The dialogue is delicious.
Different films are great for different occasions. This works for me.

Rob

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:15 pm