Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:10 am

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) 
Post "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951)
“The Day the Earth Stood Still” 1951

Following a brief radar-tracking period of ours vs. theirs confusion, a spacecraft lands. As the doors open and a figure steps out, the military awaits. A device in the figure’s hand causes alarm and the figure is brought down by a bullet. Welcome to Earth, Klatu (Michael Rennie). He promptly escapes his hospital cell and seeks to speak with the most intelligent members of the planet. Taking shelter in a rooming house, he befriends a young boy and the boy’s mother. –The boy’s father died in war, which is significant to the message that Klatu seeks to deliver. He has threatened destruction of Earth unless we stop our warring ways and pressed to prove his power, Klatu must devise a way to convince the human population that he has the ability to destroy all, should his anti-war message not be heeded. He performs this task this to great effect, but the message may fall on deaf ears as the authorities seek him and will stop at nothing to capture him. Klatu’s giant robot “Gort” stands ready to destroy the world, should Klatu fail.

Awf Hand gives 3 out of 4 stars. While I enjoyed “Day”, I discovered some holes upon later thought. Why should Klatu show compassion to those in need during his “demonstration”, but has none when it comes to destroying Earth. Um, Thanks? I still, however consider this essential sci-fi and would recommend it to any fan of the genre.
“Klatu, Berada, Nicto” indeed.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:20 am
Director

Post Re: "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951)
Awf Hand wrote:
“The Day the Earth Stood Still” 1951

Following a brief radar-tracking period of ours vs. theirs confusion, a spacecraft lands. As the doors open and a figure steps out, the military awaits. A device in the figure’s hand causes alarm and the figure is brought down by a bullet. Welcome to Earth, Klatu (Michael Rennie). He promptly escapes his hospital cell and seeks to speak with the most intelligent members of the planet. Taking shelter in a rooming house, he befriends a young boy and the boy’s mother. –The boy’s father died in war, which is significant to the message that Klatu seeks to deliver. He has threatened destruction of Earth unless we stop our warring ways and pressed to prove his power, Klatu must devise a way to convince the human population that he has the ability to destroy all, should his anti-war message not be heeded. He performs this task this to great effect, but the message may fall on deaf ears as the authorities seek him and will stop at nothing to capture him. Klatu’s giant robot “Gort” stands ready to destroy the world, should Klatu fail.

Awf Hand gives 3 out of 4 stars. While I enjoyed “Day”, I discovered some holes upon later thought. Why should Klatu show compassion to those in need during his “demonstration”, but has none when it comes to destroying Earth. Um, Thanks? I still, however consider this essential sci-fi and would recommend it to any fan of the genre.
“Klatu, Berada, Nicto” indeed.

Also I think the message is pretty authoritarian--it's an alien coming down and saying "do what we want or we'll destroy you." Blah.

Still, a very important sci fi film. I gave it 3.5

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm
Post Re: "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951)
I think this is one of the true great science fiction movies - 9/10 for me.

I have seen it many times and it's message almost fifty years later is totally relevant.

We are an unpleasant species and we need to change our ways. Te cool thing when you stand back is that we destroy just about every species we come into contact with on earth and love our position on top of the pile. Now we meet a new species and we are no longer no.1.

Obviously the imagery is iconic and burned in our minds.

Yeah it's a little simplistic but it was made so long ago within a genre that at the time was hardly known for deep thinking. Just writing this gives me a urge to have a 1950's science fiction film season. I so wish there were 240 hours in a day. In that thought lies an interesting (Man with the X-ray eyes) script.

The travesty in all of this is the Keanu remake. Oh my god, how this fim deserved better.
Rob

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:29 pm