Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:58 pm

"City of God" 
Post "City of God"
“City of God” (2002)*

While we basked in the splendor of LotR RotK(1), a little-viewed (domestically) foreign (Brazil) film sneaked in and out. “City of God” tells the story of ‘Rocket’, a child growing up in the toughest slum of Rio de Janeiro. Drug dealers jockey for districts until one comes in to rule almost all. The criminals, who own most of the police and don’t want unnecessary attention, keep crime in check -tenuously. Substance-and-Style seldom reach these heights. The main character narrates portions, which serves to draw us inside the proceedings at times we would prefer to remain outside or around the corner.

Awf Hand gives four out of four stars and adds: This is more of an experience than “Slumdog Millionaire” but I believe it was hidden in Peter Jackson’s shadow at it’s time of release. Roger Ebert declared it “…one of the best films you’ll ever see”. –Maybe…you decide.

(1) “Lord of the Rings, Return of the King”

*Time Magazine top 100 films of all time.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:21 am
Post Re: "City of God"
Awf Hand wrote:
“City of God” (2002)*

While we basked in the splendor of LotR RotK(1), a little-viewed (domestically) foreign (Brazil) film sneaked in and out. “City of God” tells the story of ‘Rocket’, a child growing up in the toughest slum of Rio de Janeiro. Drug dealers jockey for districts until one comes in to rule almost all. The criminals, who own most of the police and don’t want unnecessary attention, keep crime in check -tenuously. Substance-and-Style seldom reach these heights. The main character narrates portions, which serves to draw us inside the proceedings at times we would prefer to remain outside or around the corner.

Awf Hand gives four out of four stars and adds: This is more of an experience than “Slumdog Millionaire” but I believe it was hidden in Peter Jackson’s shadow at it’s time of release. Roger Ebert declared it “…one of the best films you’ll ever see”. –Maybe…you decide.

(1) “Lord of the Rings, Return of the King”

*Time Magazine top 100 films of all time.

And for once, I couldn't agree more with Mr. Ebert. This film easily holds a place in my top five (the only films ahead of it in my opinion are Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and L.A. Confidential). I can't fault directors Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund for a single decision that they make here, whether it's in regards to their stylistic choices are their decisions with the storytelling. I especially appreciated how they showed certain scenes that were seemingly meaningless but then came back to those scenes later on to show their role in the bigger picture. And the ending managed to be hopeful without undermining all that came before it. To me, this is a truly amazing film.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:18 pm