Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 am

"A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951) 
Post "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951)
Briefly, I didn't like it. Maybe I just Armonded it, IDK.

“A Streetcar Named Desire” (1951)*

Set in a Quarter of New Orleans, Stella’s (Kim Hunter) sister Blanche (Vivian Leigh) comes to stay after losing the family estate. Blanche and the man of the house, Stanley Kowalski, (Marlon Brando) come to disagree on most everything. This movie is a tour-de-force of acting talents. I found every character but Mitch (Karl Malden) irritating to the core. Watching a white trash husband beat his pregnant white trash wife while an offended and psychologically damaged, phony southern-belle retreats to a bathtub three times a day held no interest to me. I always hope to find one character carrying a moral compass by which I may navigate through situational adversity and I couldn’t find it here. I found myself unable and unwilling to relate to the core characters and their circumstances in such a way that it made me wish for a British victory in the Battle of New Orleans retroactive to 1814. Let them have it; I’ll find my hot sauce elsewhere.

Lauded as one of the greatest films of all time, Streetcar goes a part of town that should be converted to storm water runoff ponds.

Awf Hand gives 1.5 stars out of 4. -A half-star each for Vivian Leigh, Marlon Brando, and Kim Hunter, for their ability to create such visceral hatred of each of their characters.

*Time Magazine top 100 films of all time.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm