Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 pm

The Great Movies on TCM 
Post The Great Movies on TCM
The following films from The Great Movies section will be on Turner Classic Movies in the near future:

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
- 8/22/09 @ 12:30p ET, again on 9/22/09 @ 12:15a ET

Citizen Kane

- 9/01/09 @ 11:30p ET

The Magnificent Ambersons

- 9/02/09 @ 1:45a ET

Casablanca
- 9/02/09 @ 10:15p ET

Notorious
- 9/03/09 @ 3:45a ET

Psycho
- 9/12/09 @ 4:15a ET, again on 9/22/09 @ 10:30p ET, again on 10/31/09 @ 12:00am ET

Vertigo
- 9/16/09 @ 12:15a ET

Sherlock Jr.
- 9/21/09 @ 8:00p ET

2001: A Space Odyssey
- 9/22/09 @ 2:00a ET

Taxi Driver
- 9/30/09 @ 2:00a ET

Rear Window
- 10/2/09 @ 9:00p ET

Once Upon a Time in the West
- 10/11/09 @ 5:00p ET

8 1/2
- 10/12/09 @ 1:45p ET

The Third Man
- 10/21/09 @ 10:00p ET

Night of the Hunter

- 10/23/09 @ 8:00p ET

I've done my best to be complete but there's a good chance I've left at least one title off of the list. I'll update this in October when the schedules for November, December, etc. are released. In the meantime, any corrections would be appreciated.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:16 am
Post Re: The Great Movies on TCM
Thank you kindly sir. I'll be sure to tune into The Magnificent Ambersons, even if it is at 12:45 am on a tuesday. I imagine this'll be by far the most ideal viewing situation I could come up with (given that it's not out on DVD) and I'd be a fool to pass this up.

I'd also catch Notorious, if it wasn't on at 2:45. Who made the decision to put one of Hitchcock's greatest films on at a time that no one interested in it would watch? That seems a little silly to me.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 pm
Cinematographer

Wow, this is actually really helpful. Thanks, I'll be sure to program my DVR.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm
You're all welcome. I need to pick up a DVR in the next little while to guarantee a second viewing of Notorious without having to pick up the DVD quite yet.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm
I know you've already been thanked and accepted thanks, but I still feel the need to commend you, major. Well done. This is incredibly helpful. I'm lazy and refuse to actually check TCM's website for their running schedule, so I'm constantly using Comcast's program guide and looking days and days ahead for certain films to watch. I'll definitely be DVRing ($7/month with Comcast, totally worth it) the 4 films I haven't seen - The Magnificent Ambersons (anyone seen this?), Notorious, 8 1/2, and The Night of the Hunter (which I just cannot wait to see).

With tongue planted firmly in cheek I ask this: TCM is showing Psycho on Halloween? NO!

This movie is too good to be relegated to plain old horror status. Granted, they are showing it at quite a few other times, but I just plain don't like that something as good as Psycho too often gets associated with just being "scary".

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:58 am
Good job, man. Makes me wish I still had this channel. My TCM shows only English Language movies but the website is only in Portugese and Spanish. So are most movie names. This evening they're showing CUANDO EL DESTINO NOS ALCANCE.

PeachyPete wrote:
The Magnificent Ambersons (anyone seen this?)

I have, but it's been a while. It's definitely worth a look. Quality-wise, I think it's on par with something like Lady from Shanghai, but inferior to Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil. As an added bonus there's the drama surrounding it's release. The studio cut it in half, literally.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm
Director

Trouble In Paradise(1932), directed by the great Ernst Lubitsch, is on at 9:45 PM est tomorrow.
Its ranked 162 on the 'Greatest Films' list. Frankly I'm a bit surprised it isn't the highest Lubitsch on the list(To Be Or Not To Be is #71)

If you're a fan of Billy Wilder & want to know who he learned everything about comedy from(his words) you should check this out. Its precode, so there's some pretty surprising dialogue for an older film in this as well.

TCM is also showing 2 other Lubitch films tomorrow(both also starring Miriam Hopkins - a forgotten star from that time who was close to being Scarlett O'Hara)

The Smiling Lieutenant (1931), a musical with Maurice Chevalier & Claudette Colbert - also precode - there is a song about lingerie!

Design For Living (1933), #585 on the list. Haven't seen it, but will definitely dvr it(Gary Cooper & Frederic March are in it)

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm
Director

here's the opening to Ebert's review of Trouble In Paradise:

Quote:
When I was small I liked to go to the movies because you could find out what adults did when there weren't any children in the room. As I grew up that pleasure gradually faded; the more I knew the less the characters seemed like adults. Ernst Lubitsch's "Trouble in Paradise'' reawakened my old feeling. It is about people who are almost impossibly adult, in that fanciful movie way -- so suave, cynical, sophisticated, smooth and sure that a lifetime is hardly long enough to achieve such polish. They glide.

It is a comedy for three characters, plus comic relief in supporting roles. Herbert Marshall plays a gentleman jewel thief, Miriam Hopkins plays the con-woman who adores him, and Kay Francis is the rich widow who thinks she can buy him but is content to rent him for a while. They live in a movie world of exquisite costumes, flawless grooming, butlers, grand hotels in Venice, penthouses in Paris, cocktails, evening dress, wall safes, sweeping staircases, nightclubs, the opera and jewelry, a lot of jewelry. What is curious is how real they manage to seem, in the midst of the foppery.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:20 pm
Director

some top 100 titles are airing soon on TCM:

12/11 Persona
12/12 Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
12/13 Ordet
12/15 Gone With the Wind
12/16 Casablanca
12/20 Children of Paradise
12/21 Jules and Jim
12/26 Singin in the Rain
12/27 Bicycle Thief
12/31 Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo

TCM recently started broadcasting in HD, which I was pretty excited about

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 pm
calvero wrote:
some top 100 titles are airing soon on TCM:

12/11 Persona
12/12 Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
12/13 Ordet
12/15 Gone With the Wind
12/16 Casablanca
12/20 Children of Paradise
12/21 Jules and Jim
12/26 Singin in the Rain
12/27 Bicycle Thief
12/31 Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo

TCM recently started broadcasting in HD, which I was pretty excited about

Good stuff. My TCM recently started broadcasting foreign films, which I was excited about. Was excited. So far no subtitles. My number one request is that they stop showing films in Pan & Scan :evil:

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 pm
The upcoming schedule (http://www.tcm.com/schedule/week.jsp?timezone=EST&cid=N) is pretty good.

All times Eastern.

Feb 2nd
Five Easy Pieces 8:00pm (that's in 20 minutes)

Feb 3rd
Easy Rider 12:30am
The Last Detail 2:15am
Witness for the Prosecution 6:00am
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 8:00am
Several others

Feb 4th
The Sundowners 9:00am (I've been wanting to see this for a while and have been planning on recording this since the middle of last month)
The Lion in Winter 2:45pm
The Heiress 8:00pm
Bridge on the River Kwai 10:00pm

Feb 5th
Ryan's Daughter (more Lean) 1:00am

Tons of other great stuff this week including Sunrise, Lust For Life, several Oscar winners including Wings and Mrs. Miniver, On The Beach, Gaslight, Glory, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town... check out the schedule for the week and set those DVRs.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 pm
I'm a jerk. A Chaplin documentary followed by The Great Dictator was on 2 nights ago and I recorded both. I had a fleeting thought about letting the forum know about the programs, then decided I didn't know where to announce it, forgetting about this thread. Then Mark comes in a does this.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was already set to record, but I'll certainly be adding The Sundowners and Gaslight. I've been wanting to see both of those for a while.

Mark, have you seen Bridge on the River Kwai? It isn't as good as Larry's exploits in Arabia, but it's a damn fine film. Alec Guiness rocks every sock you'll ever wear in that one. His famous speech on the bridge is one of my favorite moments in film.

What else is anyone else reading planning to record?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm a jerk. A Chaplin documentary followed by The Great Dictator was on 2 nights ago and I recorded both. I had a fleeting thought about letting the forum know about the programs, then decided I didn't know where to announce it, forgetting about this thread. Then Mark comes in a does this.

Dude. You think I remembered this thread? I took a look through The Great Movies section, pages 4-6 to see what hadn't seen a contribution ever/in a while. I saw this thread and couldn't remember what I'd written. Thus: BUMP.

PeachyPete wrote:
The Sundowners and Gaslight.

Gaslight is pretty good, especially for a date night. The Sundowners I've been excited about ever since I got into a Robert Mitchum kick starting with TFOEC. It's about sheep herding! I can't tell you why this movie has me so excited cause I don't know.

PeachyPete wrote:
Mark, have you seen Bridge on the River Kwai? It isn't as good as Larry's exploits in Arabia, but it's a damn fine film. Alec Guiness rocks every sock you'll ever wear in that one. His famous speech on the bridge is one of my favorite moments in film.

Never seen it. February is a good month for TCM -- calvero pointed out that it's Oscar month and so all kinds of nominations (performances, directors, films, etc) get aired. They almost always run at least 3-5 nominated short-subjects per night, too. Lots of recording this month.

I need to find a way to transfer DVR recordings to DVD. That's something for Google, methinks.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 pm
I'd like to put in a good word for both Bridge on the River Kwai and for The Heiress. The latter might be a studio picture but I gave it a 9/10. It's directed by William Wyler who has some record for getting the most number of acting oscar wins/nominations for the actors he directed (I'm sure calvero or Syd will be better informed). However, I feel auteur theory has hurt him a little and he's become somewhat underrated.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm
Director

Quote:
Never seen it.

wow. if you do watch it, hope you post some thoughts. I'm craving a Lawrence rewatch after reading what you wrote on it.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Never seen it.

wow. if you do watch it, hope you post some thoughts. I'm craving a Lawrence rewatch after reading what you wrote on it.

You just got added to my will with your generous compliment.

I'm recording Bridge and plan on watching it within the next two or so weeks along with the rest of the Lean TCM is showing.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm
Yeah...thanks major, for stuffing an already bloated DVR. Really, that's sincere.

I've now got Netflix dvds, Instant on the Wii, the DVR memory topped off, and horrible movie viewing habits. Need to get on that.

Miss you punks.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:11 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Yeah...thanks major, for stuffing an already bloated DVR. Really, that's sincere.

I've now got Netflix dvds, Instant on the Wii, the DVR memory topped off, and horrible movie viewing habits. Need to get on that.

Miss you punks.

Same here, Mr. Busy.

I erased all the Spongebob from the DVR and instantaneously freed up over 48 gigabytes. That show is ALWAYS ON.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:26 pm
I can do a mean Spongebob laugh. Then again, it's pretty easy to laugh like him.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:17 am
majoraphasia wrote:
I erased all the Spongebob from the DVR and instantaneously freed up over 48 gigabytes. That show is ALWAYS ON.

Somewhere on the West coast a little girl's heart is breaking.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:58 pm