Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 am

“Chungking Express” (1994) 
Post “Chungking Express” (1994)
“Chungking Express” (1994)

In two stories only connected by a lunch counter, two police officers lament love lost. In the first storyline, officer 223, whose woman left him, allows himself a month before the breakup becomes real. He buys canned pineapple with an expiration date that is to coincide with his ‘official’ end of his relationship. We follow his steps and missteps for the first half, at which time 223 meets the lunch counter girl. Commencing second story, lunch counter girl has fallen for officer #633. He’s trying –poorly- to get over his relationship with an air-stewardess. The stewardess drops off her key to his apartment at the lunch counter. Aforementioned lunch counter girl picks up this key. She begins “breaking into” 633’s apartment and making subtle improvements in efforts to improve his spirits. There are numerous back and side stories and that presents a challenge. There’s just so damned much here to enjoy, that it leaves one wanting more. Opportunity cost has reared its head ferociously, and there is only one movie. This film feels like a tease or in some ways a feature-length trailer. I can’t imagine anyone who would not want to further explore the outcomes of many of the plotlines offered. When I completed my viewing, I did some research on this (to me) previously unheard-of film. It did not surprise me a bit to see Quentin Tarrentino’s name associated with its import. Although not his work, this smacks of his sharp dialogue, quick style and multiplicity of intersecting plot lines. When QT orders Chinese takeout, hold on to your chopsticks and bring a big appetite.
“Chungking” is a ‘good’ movie. Hell, it’s two or three good movies. I suppose that makes it a great movie. I’m still trying to figure out the side stories.

Awf Hand gives 3.5 out of 4, losing a bit as I wanted to follow the blonde-wigged woman around a bit more.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am
Post Re: “Chungking Express” (1994)
I love this film

My GF and I dance endlessly to California Dreamin!!

It's just so.... alive

Rob

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
I love this film

It's just so.... alive

Rob

I still need to see this one, but In the Mood for Love was the best film of the last decade behind the LOTR trilogy and it's one of my all-time favorites. I have a hard time believing Chungking Express will be better then that film but here's hoping.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:32 am
JJoshay wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I love this film

It's just so.... alive

Rob

I still need to see this one, but In the Mood for Love was the best film of the last decade behind the LOTR trilogy and it's one of my all-time favorites. I have a hard time believing Chungking Express will be better then that film but here's hoping.

Not a case of better or worse
Just a film you might love
Rob

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:37 am