Viridiana
Pickpocket
Amarcord
Pierrot Le Fou
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Aguirre The Wrath Of God

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:18 am
Post Re: Where should I start?
Okay...thanks to this list I have moved Vertigo from my #1 spot on Netflix and replaced it with Rashomon. You guys had convinced me in the Vertigo thread to watch it, until Rob made the comment of not letting it be your first on this journey. I trust you Rob, through your comments...I trust you.

Though I have to say that I might not be that much of a rookie as I realized that I have seen 16 of the movies on the list.

Aw hell, who the eff am I trying to fool. As much as I think I love and know about movies, this forum has made me realize that there is so much more out there to explore...I'm just a newborn. I'll grow up though.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 am
ram1312 wrote:
Okay...thanks to this list I have moved Vertigo from my #1 spot on Netflix and replaced it with Rashomon. You guys had convinced me in the Vertigo thread to watch it, until Rob made the comment of not letting it be your first on this journey. I trust you Rob, through your comments...I trust you.

Though I have to say that I might not be that much of a rookie as I realized that I have seen 16 of the movies on the list.

Aw hell, who the eff am I trying to fool. As much as I think I love and know about movies, this forum has made me realize that there is so much more out there to explore...I'm just a newborn. I'll grow up though.

Hi Ram1312

Thanks for the kind words

Vertigo is an interesting one because it's just so dark. I had to see it several times to really get down there. As you can read, I'm not alone.

I'm not sure what the 16 are that you've seen, but would suggest you do the Hitchcock's and save Vertigo till last. Don't be disappointed if you have the same reaction as me on first viewing - which was huh?

Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest and Notorious are all easier to digest

If I could relive my movies again I'd encourage you to see Night of the Hunter before Vertigo

and then.... go for it!

What ever you do. Let us know.

Have fun
Rob

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 am
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:

Not to bash on Vertigo, it is my favorite Hitchcock movie, but you will be glad that you are watching Rashomon first. If there is any movie that will encourage you to stick with the cinematic journey, that's it. It is one of my favorite of all time. Plus, it has a great intro by Robert Altman.

As for the list. I understand putting the movies that are higher on the list in the advanced section, but I have to disagree about your placement of Citizen Kane. I think it would be a lot easier to appreciate after another Orson Welles film, like Touch of Evil. I also think that My Darling Clementine really isn't that difficult of a movie. It might make sense to switch the two.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:05 am
darthyoshi wrote:
Not to bash on Vertigo, it is my favorite Hitchcock movie, but you will be glad that you are watching Rashomon first. If there is any movie that will encourage you to stick with the cinematic journey, that's it. It is one of my favorite of all time. Plus, it has a great intro by Robert Altman.

Thank you for that darthyoshi...it's encouraging. I was just really unsure which of the list to start out with, not that I feel I could go wrong with any of them. One of my good buddies is Japanese, which is why I leaned towards this film.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Hi Ram1312

Thanks for the kind words

Vertigo is an interesting one because it's just so dark. I had to see it several times to really get down there. As you can read, I'm not alone.

I'm not sure what the 16 are that you've seen, but would suggest you do the Hitchcock's and save Vertigo till last. Don't be disappointed if you have the same reaction as me on first viewing - which was huh?

Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest and Notorious are all easier to digest

If I could relive my movies again I'd encourage you to see Night of the Hunter before Vertigo

and then.... go for it!

What ever you do. Let us know.

Have fun
Rob

How coincidental you post this as I send you that PM Rob. And in fact, I had added Night of the Hunter on to my queue. Now it will go up higher in the list. Thanks man.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:29 am
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:
How coincidental you post this as I send you that PM Rob. And in fact, I had added Night of the Hunter on to my queue. Now it will go up higher in the list. Thanks man.

Oh, Night of the Hunter... that movie is amazing. It wouldn't be terrible if you saw Night of the Hunter first, but I think it makes for a much better experience if you see previous works done by the two lead actors, Robert Mitchum and Lilian Gisch. What I did, I watched Out of the Past, a quitessential film noir, which is a good introduction to Mitchum. I also saw Broken Blossoms, which is a silent film, which is a good introduction to Lilian Gisch (haha, both of those movies were from the TCM movie threads). Sorry to keep giving you directions about all of this. I always smile when I look back on Night of the Hunter. Best shit ever.

All I can do here is tell people NOT to do what I've done, which is start on all the advanced movies. Oops.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am
If you can knock out a viewing of 2001 and Apocalypse Now everything else on the list should be a relative cinch.

The only change I'd make to the list is the inclusion of Fanny and Alexander in the second tier. It's just about the perfect movie for a contemporary audience -- familial soap opera, some sweetness, a few scares here and there. It's more like an Altman film than an Altman film.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 am
majoraphasia wrote:
If you can knock out a viewing of 2001 and Apocalypse Now everything else on the list should be a relative cinch.

Those are 2 out of the 16 that I have watched from the list. I have a deep appreciation for 2001...took a couple of viewings but I got there.

Apocalypse Now on the other hand...the only time I "watched" that movie was when I was doing overnight security at the high school I was teaching at. It was Senior Night and they had us watching the cars so there we're no pranks. Anyways, the guy I was working with throws this movie on at 2:30 in the effing morning. It was too much for me that late at night man. Needs another viewing.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 am
ram1312 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Those are 2 out of the 16 that I have watched from the list. I have a deep appreciation for 2001...took a couple of viewings but I got there.

Apocalypse Now on the other hand...the only time I "watched" that movie was when I was doing overnight security at the high school I was teaching at. It was Senior Night and they had us watching the cars so there we're no pranks. Anyways, the guy I was working with throws this movie on at 2:30 in the effing morning. It was too much for me that late at night man. Needs another viewing.

Give it another try, it's definitely worth it. It's long, draining, and definitely not a late-night movie. What kind of pyscho puts that movie on at 230 am?

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Give it another try, it's definitely worth it. It's long, draining, and definitely not a late-night movie. What kind of pyscho puts that movie on at 230 am?

A religion teacher...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am
Good job calvero, that was really well done. Also, thanks to Rob for posting it. There really isn't too much here that I could complain about.

I'd probably switch Rashomon and Seven Samurai. The latter is an action film and isn't as complex as Rashomon. It's also really high up in imdb's top 250, so it shouldn't be too difficult for people to get into.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am
I don't think that apocalypse now belongs in the advanced section, its complex but not at the same level as say 2001, which quite frankly i still am not a big fan of despite multiple viewings.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

A religion teacher...

What the hell kind of confused religion teacher puts on Apocalypse Now at 2:30 in the morning? I think that person has some underlying issues. I would stay away...

Meatloaf wrote:
I don't think that apocalypse now belongs in the advanced section, its complex but not at the same level as say 2001, which quite frankly i still am not a big fan of despite multiple viewings.

I think I agree with this. Apocalypse Now is a fairly accessible film. Yes, it is complex and draining, but Coppola helps you along the way. It's even better if you have read the book.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:11 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Apocalypse Now is a fairly accessible film. Yes, it is complex and draining, but Coppola helps you along the way. It's even better if you have read the book.

I don't know about accessible but it's definitely helped by Coppola along the way. A Clockwork Orange and other 'difficult' fare seem far more accessible by comparison.

Now, as for having read the book... I'm quick to believe that, although libraries are built on the predication that the public enjoys reading, most of those that tune in the film aren't familiar with the source material in the slightest. Heart of Darkness is so frequently abandoned in favor of its Spark Note that Apocalypse Now is likely considered the only way in for the viewer. Sad as it is that the book may be relatively unread by the thirstiest moviegoer, the movie shouldn't come with any prerequisites. As such, Apocalypse Now stands as a (deliberately) confusing film for a good percentage of its potential audience.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Good job calvero, that was really well done. Also, thanks to Rob for posting it. There really isn't too much here that I could complain about.

I'd probably switch Rashomon and Seven Samurai. The latter is an action film and isn't as complex as Rashomon. It's also really high up in imdb's top 250, so it shouldn't be too difficult for people to get into.

Yeah - huge thanks to Calvero

I actually think Seven Samurai is more of a slog than Rashomon mainly because of the length. Most people will struggle at 3 hour medieval Japanese movies.

But it's a toss up as Rashomon is a little more complex (unless you've deciphered memento :lol: )

Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:31 am
If our regular readers don't mind I'm going to resist altering Calvero's excellent list

I am sure we can all find the odd switch but overall it's very good.

Unless there is mass howling from the gallery about an egregious brain lapse, let's let it rest for a while

I hope people find it useful

Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 am
Is it just me or are there nine movies missing from the list? I didn't see The Mirror in there, which DEFINITELY belongs in advanced. Really, it's the last Tarkovsky film you should see, and it's arguable it's the last film you should watch on the journey because it's ridiculously hard to appreciate.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:36 am
Pedro wrote:
Is it just me or are there nine movies missing from the list? I didn't see The Mirror in there, which DEFINITELY belongs in advanced. Really, it's the last Tarkovsky film you should see, and it's arguable it's the last film you should watch on the journey because it's ridiculously hard to appreciate.

Hi Pedro

I added it as suggested

Thanks
Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 am
Cinematographer

majoraphasia wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
Apocalypse Now is a fairly accessible film. Yes, it is complex and draining, but Coppola helps you along the way. It's even better if you have read the book.

I don't know about accessible but it's definitely helped by Coppola along the way. A Clockwork Orange and other 'difficult' fare seem far more accessible by comparison.

Now, as for having read the book... I'm quick to believe that, although libraries are built on the predication that the public enjoys reading, most of those that tune in the film aren't familiar with the source material in the slightest. Heart of Darkness is so frequently abandoned in favor of its Spark Note that Apocalypse Now is likely considered the only way in for the viewer. Sad as it is that the book may be relatively unread by the thirstiest moviegoer, the movie shouldn't come with any prerequisites. As such, Apocalypse Now stands as a (deliberately) confusing film for a good percentage of its potential audience.

I'm kind of surprised that you think A Clockwork Orange is more accessible than Apocalypse Now. I think the latter is much more in line with traditional Hollywood than ACO.

About Heart of Darkness... It is sad, isn't it? This is one of the greatest literary accomplishments of all time, and most people forsake it for the Sparknotes or ignore it altogether. Sigh...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:25 am