Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:01 am

66 The Leopard 1963 
Post 66 The Leopard 1963
Zeppelin wrote on the Cinematic Journey

The Leopard - The Leopard lives and dies by Burt Lancaster. This is such a powerful porformance that when it ended up grabbing me, anytime he was off-screen was spent waiting for his return. Although Lancaster himself seemed to think that the role should've gone to a real italian, I'm glad it didn't. He looks close enough to the other actors to fit in, but different enough that he really stands out, only adding to the gravitas Lancaster brings to the screen. When he walks in a room and everyone stands up, you know why.

Other than Lancaster's acting, The Leopard also really benefits from the detail and beauty present in every shot. It's easy to see why The Leopard is considered the greatest of the costume dramas; all the period detail is astounding. The Leopard does that ol' trick of using older times to comment on the present (1963, that is), and it works beautifully. Still, it is difficult to get over Lancaster's performance, and just how little I really cared about everyone else around him. Moments of great beauty and power, surrounded by moments with little of either. But damn is that good acting. 8/10

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:58 am