Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:03 pm

72 All About Eve 
Post 72 All About Eve
see James review

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: 72 All About Eve 1950
I love this movie. It's what turned me onto Bette Davis... so sexy... maybe that's just me...

On the list that I am personally comprising of my top 100, All About Eve is currently sitting at 12. This is one of those movies where everything went right. It has one of the best leading lady performances ever, a fantastic supporting cast and a fricken creepy nemesis. The writing is fantastic. It speaks not only about the cutthroat world that is show business but also gives an interesting perspective on the nature of human relationships and ambition. As if that wasn't enough, through in Marylin Monroe for eye candy. Score!

The 1950s was a great decade for movies. I was bored one afternoon, so I made a histogram of the top 1000 list by year. It turns out that the graph looks like a symmetrical hill, the 50s being the top. Don't ask me why I did this, I was really bored. It's summer vacation. But anyways, I just thought I would say that this movie came out at the same time that Sunset Boulevard did, but this got the Oscar for best picture.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 pm
Post Re: 72 All About Eve
All About Eve (1950) *

We meet Eve as she receives a prestigious acting award. Stop film. Rewind. Enter Eve to the world of acting. Margot Channing (Betty Davis) is a brilliant stage actress who’s moving past her prime. A starstruck girl -Eve Harrington (Ann Baxter), who’s seen every performance of the latest running stage play meets Ms. Channing. Eve tells her life story and is immediately endeared to Channing and group. Although this is a ‘Betty Davis movie’, the title is apt. It’s all about Eve. This description intentionally left vague. Avoid any other synopsis and watch this film knowing nothing more about it.

Awf Hand gives four out of four stars and adds that it is a real joy to watch well-honed/performed character arcs in whatever form.

*Yahoo’s 100 movies to see before you die.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:47 pm