I forgot to mention that this does not seem to be available on DVD

You can see and download the entire movie here

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 62ThG4aHng

It's quite legal and not a torrent.
Rob

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:38 pm
Director

Post Re: 59 Pather Panchali 1955
its available on dvd, I've seen it at my library. maybe its just out of print.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:50 pm
Post Re: 59 Pather Panchali
Pather Panchali (1959) aka Song of the Little Road

Plot
The early twentieth century: in a remote village in Bengal, India a family struggles to survive. The father, a priest, is frequently away from home on work leaving his wife to care for their mischievous daughter, his elderly cousin and their newborn son, Apu.

Origin
Pather Panchali is adapted from a novel by Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay. Satyajit Ray, then working as an artist, became aware of the novel in 1943 when he was hired to do illustrations for a new edition of the novel. He subsequently became interested in filming the novel despite having no experience with cinema.

In 1949, Ray met Jean Renoir who had come to Kolkata to shoot The River. While helping Renoir find filming locations in the countryside, Ray told him about his idea of filming Pather Panchali and Renoir encouraged him to proceed. In 1950, Ray spent three months in London for work. During this time he allegedly saw 99 films including Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves (1948) which had a profound impact on him. Ray later said that he came out of the theater determined to become a filmmaker.

Persons Involved
Pather Panchali is the first film by Indian director Satyajit Ray. Ray would go on to become India's greatest director and one of the great auteurs of world cinema.

The film also marks the debut of cinematographer Subrata Mitra, a still photographer who had never before photographed a feature. Mitra would later pioneer the technique of bounce lighting.

The score for the film was composed by the sitar player Ravi Shankar, who was at the early stage of his career.

Cinematic Influence
Pather Panchali was sent to the 1956 Cannes Film Festival with the personal approval of the Prime Minister of India. It was awarded the Best Human Document prize at this festival.

Ray would go on to direct two highly acclaimed sequels - Aparajito (1956) and Apur Sansar (1959) - with increasing focus on Apu. The Apu Trilogy is considered to be one of the greatest trilogies of all time.

Is it worth watching today?

It certainly is. The film has a sort of dreamy, magical feel which it maintains even when the characters encounter great moments of tragedy. Rare is the film that deals with such subject matters without becoming melodramatic. However, the deliberate pace may test those with short attention spans.

It's difficult to say which of the three Apu films is the best. While it is true that Ray's technique greatly improves over the trilogy, I'm not sure that the same can always be said of the plot. For maximum enjoyment I recommend looking at the entire trilogy. In lieu of that, seeing only Pather Panchali is still one fine alternative. 9/10.

I know there are 2 posts above me, but there isn't really much about the movie so I whipped this up quickly. Structure stolen from Unke. Some content from Wikipedia.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:46 pm
Cinematographer

This is the first film I've seen since the 2012 Oscars. It's nice going back to this list.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this movie as I don't really know anything about Indian cinema outside Bollywood. That said, and after reading ed_metal_head's post, I can definitely see the similarities to Italian neo-realism. Bicycle Thieves wasn't my favorite, but the pacing and the focus on the simple problems associated with survival (without romanticizing them) borrowed from it give Pather Panchali a unique charm. The acting overall is quite good, especially Karuna Banerjee (Apu's mother).

One of my favorite images from the film was when Durga is in the sugar cane field and comes across some newly constructed power lines. Its a fascinating contrast between the modern world and the simple lives of the characters.

Definitely worth checking out. 3.5/4

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:07 pm
Glad you liked it, yosh. I know I said it above, but do check out the sequels. They're really good and many people actually find them superior to the original.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:10 pm
Cinematographer

ed_metal_head wrote:
Glad you liked it, yosh. I know I said it above, but do check out the sequels. They're really good and many people actually find them superior to the original.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. Do you know if they are on the top 1000 list? If so, I'll probably hit them eventually.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 am
darthyoshi wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about it. Do you know if they are on the top 1000 list? If so, I'll probably hit them eventually.

They are, I'm sure of it. I have no idea what position, but they're there. And quite a few other Ray films too. I've still only seen the Apu trilogy though and keep putting off checking out any others. You know how it is, so many movies...so little time.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 pm