Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm

48 Modern Times 
Critic

Post Re: 48 Modern Times
So I watched Modern Times for the first time yesterday and thought it was good but not great. The first 20 minutes or so are a pitch-perfect satire of modern business, directed with enough fervor to convince the powers that be that Chaplin had communist leanings (though who didn't in Great Depression America?).

But after the promising beginning Modern Times becomes less inspired and more ordinary. This was the last movie starring Chaplin's Little Tramp and the last (mainly) silent movie made--before the medium became a curio for people like Mel Brooks or Guy Maddi--and frankly, it shows. A lot of the gags appear rather stale and cliched. Oh look! A beam hits Charlie on the head! Who saw that one coming?

Still, the Little Tramp has a lot of charm in his waddly duck walk and the satirical element (including some great sets and props of convoluted gear systems in the factory) works in the film's favor enough that i gave it ***/4. I'm glad I saw it, for it was reasonably enjoyable and owns its place in history, but it's not as good as City Lights or as good as people make it out to be.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am
Cinematographer

I don't know, I think it deserves more credit. I thought the bit with the girl was brilliant. She and the Tramp were charming together, especially when they were playing in the department store or imagining that they had a house. I think the reason why this movie was so successful was the fact that it was directed at Depression America. As you'll remember, during the Great Depression, the movies served as a cheap means of escapism. People could spend very little money and be entertained all day long. I think Chaplin was directing this movie at those who experienced poverty in their daily lives, showing them that there is always hope and that you can always find cheerful things in your life, no matter how much you lose.

And lets be honest, the ending to this movie is almost... almost... as touching as City Lights.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:39 am
Critic

darthyoshi wrote:
And lets be honest, the ending to this movie is almost... almost... as touching as City Lights

Well to be honest Mr. Yoshi I must say no, no it isn't. The only real poignancy to this movie's ending for me came from the knowledge that this was the Little Tramp's last appearance.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:18 pm