Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 pm

45 It's a Wonderful Life 1946 
Post 45 It's a Wonderful Life 1946
See James review

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: 45 It's a Wonderful Life 1946
This is another movie where there is little else to say about it that has not already been said. All I can offer are my thoughts about it as a whole.

This is one of the better holiday movies. With Capra directing, the kind of feel-goods, its no wonder why. Stewart, the likable leading man, is the perfect choice for the lead role. The one actor that seems somewhat out of place is Barrymore. Don't get me wrong, he pulls the role off with flare and is known as one of the best villains because of it, but he usually plays such genial and happy old men. Take for example, You Can't Take It With You, my favorite Capra movie. It's A Wonderful Life is filled with tearjerkers and other unforgettable scenes (the pool opening during the dance among them). I don't know though, I never liked this movie a whole lot compared to some of Capra's other films. It's a little too sappy for me. I liked Mr. Smith Goes To Washington better as well. But compared to the tripe that is usually played around the holidays, this wins out, no competition. Well, I guess Christmas Story makes a close second due to pure entertainment value, but It's A Wonderful Life is in a league of its own.

Hmm, I don't like the holidays...

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:47 pm