Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 am

69 Mirror, The 1976 
Cinematographer

Post Re: 69 Mirror, The 1976
Going into The Mirror, I knew little about Tartovsky as I have only seen Andrei Rublev, which I really enjoyed. However, it is difficult to compare the two films as they are extremely different. You cannot watch The Mirror with a traditional film watching attitude. You would be wrong to ask for plot or a deeper meaning.

The only way to get anything out of The Mirror is to take it for what it is, which is a series of beautiful images that force you into a state of existential contemplation. A good starting point is to understand Tartovsky's cinematic style. Tartovsky himself said that he believed the most important characteristic of cinema was to capture time. He used this to integrate his characters into their surrounding while maintaining a raw humanistic element. He accomplished this by emphasizing the human face. In The Mirror, this is done masterfully with Margarita Terekova. Overall, the point of Tartovsky's movies is to appreciate the moment rather then anticipating what comes next.

That being said, The Mirror is autobiographical in the same way that 8 1/2 is. It isn't about the director's life, it's about the way he thinks about his life. The cinematography is perfect; it reminded me of Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. It is by far the best tool Tartovsky uses.

There is little to say about the movie itself. It isn't like many other films. It's more art than it is movie. Everything in it has purpose and is effective in producing memorable moments. Trying to remember what happened afterwards is little different than watching it. If it accomplishes anything, it makes you think about your own life in terms of moments and faces. I think if Tartovsky had been born before cinema, there is no doubt that he would have been a painter.

I'll give it 4/4, but it hardly seems applicable. Definitely recommended viewing, however.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 pm