Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 pm

10 Tokyo Story 
Post Re: 10 Tokyo Story
Tokyo Story

In Tokyo Story (1953) an elderly couple leave their quiet home town to visit their children (and grandchildren) in the big city of Tokyo. Upon their arrival they find that they are almost a nuisance as their children have little time to spend with them. Instead, it is the widow of their dead son (slain in WWII) who shows them the most affection.

The film is directed by one of the Japan's greatest directors, Yasujiro Ozu. Tokyo Story is often cited as being his masterpiece.

I must point out that the film moves at a very deliberate and unhurried pace. It is by no means boring, but this is not the kind of movie to see when you're not in the mood.

Special mention must be made of the film's look. Ozu apparently prefers to work with a static camera, a technique which I generally find boring. His style is the exception, however. The camera may be static, but the shot composition is interesting and the camera has the habit on lingering on certain details (all of which are filmed from a low angle).

I cannot verify whether this is Ozu's masterpiece (it's the first Ozu film I've seen). However, I can see why someone would call this a masterpiece not only of Japanese cinema, but of world cinema.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:02 pm
I watched this today. It was my second viewing. It made me cry. It's devastating.

That's all I can muster right now.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 am
Director

remake planned:

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/04/15/t ... 11-impact/

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:45 pm
I'm down for a remake; could be interesting. Not my favorite Ozu though, I find Late Spring, Early Summer, and Autumn Afternoon as a sort of unofficial trilogy to be more satisfying.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:09 pm
That's a relief, I thought it might be a Michael Bay production where the old couple shoot their way into Tokyo and then destroy their kids apartment building. the two leads played by Stallone and Mirren.
Rob

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm
Director

This is sure to move up from 10 in the next list, Sight & Sound has it at #3 in the news critics list & #1 in the new directors list(358 directors were polled)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:41 pm