Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 am

47 Rear Window 1954 
Post Re: 47 Rear Window 1954
The below is a brief writeup I did for movingaheadmedia.com forums. Even though I crafted it, I consider it their property and felt I should note that here.

Summarized, I didn't like this movie as much as I wanted to and wonder; What am I missing?? This movie is on almost every Top 100 list out there. I feel like the first person to ever not like this movie. This is the first movie of the 20 or 30 that I've seen from the "Time Top 100" and "Yahoo 100 to see before you die" that didn't click with me. I'm sad.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Rear Window (1954)

L.B. ‘Jeff’ Jeffries (James Stewart) is a world-traveled photographer who is laid up in his apartment with a broken leg. During the last week of his recovery and subsequent cast removal, he believes that he witnesses a murder in one of the apartments within view of his rear window. He brings in a detective friend to help him investigate and is dismissed as paranoid. I found James Stewart unconvincing in this role. I was dismayed that his ‘world-travel’ photography experiences left him so inexperienced in surveillance. His character-feeling-inadequate-for-his-girlfriend (Grace Kelly) plot felt unnecessarily tacked-on, and the wrap-up felt too tidy.

Awf Hand gives 2.5 out of 4 stars and adds; perhaps I’ve watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” too many times, as this didn’t feel like Stewart’s movie. I couldn’t see a joie de vivre that would’ve attract Kelly’s character to him. Certainly he’d been beaten down by his injury but that badly? Really?? That and the aforementioned left me a bit flat and has me giving slightly above average star ratings on this “classic” Hitchcock film. Atmosphere and filming style are admirable, however for those sharing my taste in movies and an unwillingness to overly suspend disbelief, this one may be a bit of letdown.
>>>>>>>>>

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:10 pm
Critic

Awf Hand wrote:
Summarized, I didn't like this movie as much as I wanted to and wonder; What am I missing??

Right there with you buddy. Despite being a huge Hitchcock fan (I've seen 27 of his films) I have to admit that I don't much like Rear Window either. My main problem is that there's far less tension than there should be. It's very clear the whole time that this movie is going to end with Raymond Burr coming up to confront James Stewart and everything that happens before this is largely irrelevant. And there's no way Hitchcock is going to butcher Grace Kelly. So I sat and waited for the movie to play out as I knew it would. To me this is a third-tier Hitch film, memorable mainly for its gorgeous color photography.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 am
Rear Window creates a wonderful impression of the heat of living in a New York summer. It is very evocative of the small neighborhood that it covers. Detail is extraordinary. I disagree that Hitch would not kill off Grace kelly as he proves six years later.

I think this is definitely a top ten Hitch movie but unlike James I don'r rate it as his best.

Rob

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:30 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rear Window creates a wonderful impression of the heat of living in a New York summer. It is very evocative of the small neighborhood that it covers. Detail is extraordinary. I disagree that Hitch would not kill off Grace kelly as he proves six years later.

I think this is definitely a top ten Hitch movie but unlike James I don'r rate it as his best.

Rob

I think that Rear Window is Hitchcock at his greatest control of the medium, his direction is absolutely masterful. I do agree with Rob that Vertigo is a better movie, however.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:11 pm
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
I disagree that Hitch would not kill off Grace kelly as he proves six years later.

Is there some movie Hitchcock made I haven't seen in which Grace Kelly dies? :)

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:29 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I disagree that Hitch would not kill off Grace kelly as he proves six years later.

Is there some movie Hitchcock made I haven't seen in which Grace Kelly dies? :)

tee hee, and Hitch can't even be blamed for her untimely death in Monaco, unless he came back 2 years later
Rob

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 pm