Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
41 Andrei Rublev 1966 
Author Message
Post 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
From Zeppelin on the Cinematic Journey

Andrei Rublev is one of the longest, hardest to watch, most brilliant, and most astonishing films I've ever seen. I can see how someone could find Rublev cold and austere, but I found it to be as transcendent and amazing as film, and art in general, can be. The way Andrei Rublev is constructed, the way Tarkovsky moves his camera, the whole poetic feeling of the whole thing, everything about it is absolutely overwhelming. I had the feeling after watching Rublev that nothing I do in my life will ever be as beautiful and brilliant as what Tarkovsky achieved here. Andrei Rublev may be one of the most difficult films I've ever seen, it's also one of the most rewarding. The second movie I've seen on my trip which could topple A Clockwork Orange (which I'll be rewatching soon) from its position as my favorite movie. 10/10


Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Andrei, Andrei, Andrei. Where do I start with you? Now, to say it didn't work for me at all is crazy. The cinematography is brilliant and the last hour is some of the best cinema I've ever scene. The first hour's pretty decent, too. However, I didn't find enough narrative energy to power through the middle. The first hour involves Theophanes the Greek and Kirill's jealousy regarding that character, to which I'm like "I'm down". The last hour involves the making of a bell, including a scene that's full of tension in the testing of said bell. I was really down for that, as the character who knew about the bell was such a particular guy. The middle hour was hit or miss. The Tatar invasion of sorts was well-done, but not super involving. My main problem was Rublev's struggle to actually get any art done. It wasn't particularly convincing, interesting, or artsy. I know it's a film I'll return to one day, maybe even one day soon. As I reflect on it and Tarkovsky's work on it in general, I know it's a masterpiece. Even when I was watching, I knew I was watching something different. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. I can't go balls-to-the-wall and give it a perfect rating, but maybe one day.


Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:35 am
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
So I'm planning on watching this tomorrow on my new 52" Sharp LED TV. Given that it's difficult to watch, does anyone have any advice?


Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45 am
Profile
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Strange choice for your new TV ;-)

The more i read here the more I wonder if i just got this plain wrong. i know patrick will be hovering thinking there is a devious motive here.

I'm really interested to hear both your thoughts on the film and how your new toy helped the experience.

Rob


Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 pm
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Robert Holloway wrote:
Strange choice for your new TV ;-)

The more i read here the more I wonder if i just got this plain wrong. i know patrick will be hovering thinking there is a devious motive here.

I'm really interested to hear both your thoughts on the film and how your new toy helped the experience.

Rob


Well if you insist...but I don't get the feeling that there's negativity in this thread. Zepplin loves it, Pedro liked it more often than not and all darthyoshi said he was going to test it out on his brand new TV.

And if you going with the understanding route, well this is the movie that did codify Tarkovsky style...and what are you thoughts on this Rob....you didn't like it did you? It's funny how this argument falls apart when you see that Zepplin wrote the first post and not you Rob.


Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:40 pm
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Strange choice for your new TV ;-)

The more i read here the more I wonder if i just got this plain wrong. i know patrick will be hovering thinking there is a devious motive here.

I'm really interested to hear both your thoughts on the film and how your new toy helped the experience.

Rob


Well if you insist...but I don't get the feeling that there's negativity in this thread. Zepplin loves it, Pedro liked it more often than not and all darthyoshi said he was going to test it out on his brand new TV.

And if you going with the understanding route, well this is the movie that did codify Tarkovsky style...and what are you thoughts on this Rob....you didn't like it did you? It's funny how this argument falls apart when you see that Zepplin wrote the first post and not you Rob.


Hi there

I gave it a 7 which says i liked it. This is a film that I appreciated but do not share the love of others. Yet I know deep down it's very special.

I'm not actually sure what argument is falling apart as my only point remains that you can see a movie and change your viewpoint on it over time. I respect and am interested in the critical judgments of Zeppelin and others within our little classic movie community. Guess I'm just intrigued to hear how the viewing on the new Tv works out.

Rob


Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Strange choice for your new TV ;-)

The more i read here the more I wonder if i just got this plain wrong. i know patrick will be hovering thinking there is a devious motive here.

I'm really interested to hear both your thoughts on the film and how your new toy helped the experience.

Rob


Well if you insist...but I don't get the feeling that there's negativity in this thread. Zepplin loves it, Pedro liked it more often than not and all darthyoshi said he was going to test it out on his brand new TV.

And if you going with the understanding route, well this is the movie that did codify Tarkovsky style...and what are you thoughts on this Rob....you didn't like it did you? It's funny how this argument falls apart when you see that Zepplin wrote the first post and not you Rob.


Hi there

I gave it a 7 which says i liked it. This is a film that I appreciated but do not share the love of others. Yet I know deep down it's very special.

I'm not actually sure what argument is falling apart as my only point remains that you can see a movie and change your viewpoint on it over time. I respect and am interested in the critical judgments of Zeppelin and others within our little classic movie community. Guess I'm just intrigued to hear how the viewing on the new Tv works out.

Rob


I thought that you wrote the first post, not Zep so I thought you loved it but didn't understand Pedro's comments for some reason so you doubted yourself. Then I got set straight so now that thought doesn't make sense.


Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: 41 Andrei Rublev 1966
Pedro wrote:
Andrei, Andrei, Andrei. Where do I start with you? Now, to say it didn't work for me at all is crazy. The cinematography is brilliant and the last hour is some of the best cinema I've ever scene. The first hour's pretty decent, too. However, I didn't find enough narrative energy to power through the middle. The first hour involves Theophanes the Greek and Kirill's jealousy regarding that character, to which I'm like "I'm down". The last hour involves the making of a bell, including a scene that's full of tension in the testing of said bell. I was really down for that, as the character who knew about the bell was such a particular guy. The middle hour was hit or miss. The Tatar invasion of sorts was well-done, but not super involving. My main problem was Rublev's struggle to actually get any art done. It wasn't particularly convincing, interesting, or artsy. I know it's a film I'll return to one day, maybe even one day soon. As I reflect on it and Tarkovsky's work on it in general, I know it's a masterpiece. Even when I was watching, I knew I was watching something different. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. I can't go balls-to-the-wall and give it a perfect rating, but maybe one day.


Good call. After finally finding the time to watch this whole movie, I have to agree with you. The first hour is pretty good, the second hour is less involving, and the last hour is fantastic. The whole point of the movie was about how we can use art to transcend the toil of our daily lives. Which is great, but I really only felt moved by this theme in the last hour with the casting of the bell. Now that I think about it, this theme was present in the previous two hours, but like I said, it wasn't moving.

The cinematography in general was pretty great. It was shot in a super wide aspect ratio, and they used a lot of wide angle shots. It was interesting and somewhat annoying at the same time. Wide angle lenses were often used for closeup shots or shots of people walking around, while you would normally expect them to be used on large landscape shots. This causes the surroundings of the subjects to be distorted. I'm not sure if this was meant to be on purpose or not. I probably could have found out with the commentary, but I really wasn't up for 3 hours and 25 minutes worth of commentary. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Overall, this is a great movie, but I don't like it as much as some do. 8/10


Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr