Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:09 pm

32 Psycho 
Post Re: 32 Psycho 1960
Woot! I can contribute something in this incredibly awesome board you guys created. I watched this movie for the first time 2 days ago and didn't even think about coming in here to leave my thoughts until today while I was bored at work. Here ya go:

Psycho (*** out of ****)

Its famous bits actually kind of ruined the experience for me. I hadn't seen the movie before, but I knew about the shower scene and it just wasn't as effective as it would have been had I known it wasn't coming. It's still a classic though, and for good reason. It's a genuinely fascinating mystery thriller. It isn't scary though, at least in my opinion. I think the original Halloween is a scarier and better film between the two and would cite it as my favorite horror film if someone asked me, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Psycho either, despite not liking it as much as everyone else does.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Cinematographer

You aren't alone, Blace. I didn't like Psycho as much as other Hitchcock films either. It just seems out of character for him. He is known for his psychological thrillers like Vertigo, Rear Window, and North by Northwest. Whenever he makes an attempt at simple horror, like Psycho, or even The Birds, I'm never as impressed. It might be because I don't like most horror movies in general. I will say, Pyscho is definitely at the top of the genre. The Birds was just stupid.

And is it just me, but does Psycho remind you of Touch of Evil?

3/4

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:48 pm
Hi there

Interesting posts and welcome to the area. i hope you make lots of posts!

Psycho was produced 50 years ago. I first saw it about 35 years ago.

I had no idea what it was about and it scared the hell out of me. the shock of the twist at the mid point is huge.

The problem older films face in the horror genre is that they have been oft imitated and the gore blood lust quotient has increased significantly.

The shower scene has been repeated and spoofed countless times. the music used repeatedly, but I can tell you that back in 1973 this was one scary movie. Halloween was still years away.

Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm
Cinematographer

Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there

Interesting posts and welcome to the area. i hope you make lots of posts!

Psycho was produced 50 years ago. I first saw it about 35 years ago.

I had no idea what it was about and it scared the hell out of me. the shock of the twist at the mid point is huge.

The problem older films face in the horror genre is that they have been oft imitated and the gore blood lust quotient has increased significantly.

The shower scene has been repeated and spoofed countless times. the music used repeatedly, but I can tell you that back in 1973 this was one scary movie. Halloween was still years away.

Rob

This is true. I will admit that this film has had a huge impact on the horror genre. Therefor it is hard to watch it even for the first time and not have any idea where the film is going. Even if you don't know the twist at the end, you know all about the shower scene.

Still though, horror just isn't my thing.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 am
My third viewing of Psycho was in the movie theater. I knew when every scary part was going to occur and yet I was still creeped out by all of them. Some of them even made me jump. The shower scene is a little bit dated, which is a shame because it has hints of mastery in it. If that was somehow updated, and if the middle didn't drag, and if the ending wasn't puked onto the screen, it'd be perfect. However, it's an interesting cultural study. It was my favorite Hitchcock film until recently, when I decided I like Rear Window more.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:59 am
I've said this elsewhere so I'll be brief: Psycho is just plain cool. It's such an expert film that, even if it can't engage like it must have in 1960 (before all those cats got out of the bag), it remains a testament to how flat-out nifty a movie can be. Entertaining beyond measure, Psycho is.

Except for the last scene with the psychiatrist. That needs to go and will always need to go.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:23 am
First time I saw Psycho was on tv. Must have been sometime in the mid 1970s. Loved it from the first time on. The only shot I didn't like is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Martin Balsam being stabbed and falling down the stairs. The back projection was too obvious and fake looking even back then.

About this movie being scary: Yes, I think it has a nightmarish way to it. I think the cop following Marion (Janet Leigh) and especially the shot when he stands there at the used car sales parking lot, opposite side of the street, are very night marish. It's like someone following us who seems to be actually a step or two ahead.
Herrmann's music is sublime as always. I love his ominous, foreboding string parts when Marion is driving the car through the night, all confused, and the best is yet to come...

I need to check if I can find a DVD with a restored print, or at least a better one than I have. The one I have is in PAL. from the Universal 'Hitchcock Collection'. Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake) from that same collection contain the crystal clear restored versions. Real treasures. Psycho is muddy, grainy and seems to come from an inferior source. Since it is in black and white, I suppose Universal has it at the bottom of their priority list regarding picture and sound quality. Oh well...

I agree with the many people who dislike the long explanation at the end. Did Hitch give in to studio execs who demanded an explanation so 1960 audiences would better understand? This must have been mentioned somewhere... Reminds me: I need to buy again the book with the Truffaut/Hitch interview. A classic.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 pm
Post Re: 32 Psycho
“Psycho” (1960)*
Prelude to "Psycho":
It can be difficult to view a 50 year old film that is as engrained in the modern movie going psyche as "Psycho". Mother/son attachment issues, split personalities, shower stabbings... we all know the happenings so well, it is near impossible to view this film in a vacuum. Aside from the shower scene and the architecture of the Bates estate, I'd observed no more than a minute's clips of this film prior to Aug 29, 2010, avoiding it as 'old-school' slasher-schlock, and assuming I'd heard enough to have "seen" it already. I even avoided reading the back of the box, making this as nearly a virgin-viewing as one my age could muster.

Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) has pilfered $40k from her employer in hopes of making a better life for herself and alimony-saddled boyfriend Sam (John Gavin). She's on the run and checks into the Bates Motel, meeting the charming yet creepy Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins). Ill quickly befalls her and the subsequent investigator who follows. Marion's sister (Vera Miles) and Sam track the PI to the Bate's and begin to unravel what they won't understand until the denouement. Viewers assemble these pieces alongside the pair as Bate's world falls apart. It's refreshing to see that horror-films characters don't have to be lobotomized pawns to be moved into position for killing. They are all intelligent and see no more of Bates or his mother than we do, with clues as sparse and vague as mother-sightings. There are several points before, during or after the denouement at which this film could’ve ended ‘satisfactorily’, but it closes brilliantly instead. Hitchcock gives us good-to-the-last frame filmmaking.

Awf Hand gives four out of four stars and adds: Watch this movie with the lights off and brain on.

*Yahoo’s 100 movies to see before you die.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 pm
Post Re: 32 Psycho
In 18 days, the Blu ray will be arriving in the US

Here's a review from the UK version, of what looks set to be a treat. The extras look very nice.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Psycho-Bl ... 52/#Review

Rob

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 pm