Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 pm

28 Taxi Driver 1976 
Post 28 Taxi Driver 1976
See James review

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 am
Post Re: 28 Taxi Driver 1976
A lot of people on this forum have seen this film and I'd like to hear some arguments, if there are any, against it. Even indifference toward it seems like potentially interesting reading.

For the record, I'm not one of those that could argue against it. I think it's one of the more direct films on the Top 100 and, although I don't believe it should be ranked any higher than a multitude of films appearing below #50 on the list (Taxi Driver is #28). But, all the same, I'd love to read some arguments, any arguments, that could give the film some critical balance.

Any takers?

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:21 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
A lot of people on this forum have seen this film and I'd like to hear some arguments, if there are any, against it. Even indifference toward it seems like potentially interesting reading.

For the record, I'm not one of those that could argue against it. I think it's one of the more direct films on the Top 100 and, although I don't believe it should be ranked any higher than a multitude of films appearing below #50 on the list (Taxi Driver is #28). But, all the same, I'd love to read some arguments, any arguments, that could give the film some critical balance.

Any takers?

Sorry major, I love Taxi Driver.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 pm
Patrick wrote:

Everyone seems to. How could a film that ends the way his one does (no spoilers) not inspire at least one shaking first in one solitary person?

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:33 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Everyone seems to. How could a film that ends the way his one does (no spoilers) not inspire at least one shaking first in one solitary person?

If it makes you feel better, when I saw it in High School as part of a Film Class a few people didn't like the ending. But I don't think that they're here in this forum.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:36 pm
Cinematographer

majoraphasia wrote:

Any takers?

Sorry, I can't help. In terms of Scorcese, I saw his films in reverse chronological order. So The Departed, GoodFellas, Raging Bull, and then Taxi Driver. I would be lying if I said that Taxi Driver wasn't my favorite. I think I'm ok with it being at #28, but there are a few other films I'm not so sure about. Chinatown comes to mind.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm
Taxi Driver is my favorite film by anyone involved in the production, and possibly my favorite film, period. No dissent from this corner.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:29 pm
Cinematographer

It seems that Taxi Driver is thoroughly loved by all on the forum. Sorry :) .

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:40 pm
darthyoshi wrote:

Actually it's thoroughly loved by all that hang around this part of the forum. I'll bet you $$ that there are countless people on other areas who have never seen it.

You know, people who think that Transforminators and GI Joe are cutting edge.

When I last saw Taxi Driver I watched it twice and ended up boring my girlfriend to death my taking stills of the film on my iphone and sending them to her every 15 minutes for 4 hours - she suffers.

It's a 10 for me. Sorry
Rob

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

Actually it's thoroughly loved by all that hang around this part of the forum. I'll bet you $$ that there are countless people on other areas who have never seen it.

When I last saw Taxi Driver I watched it twice and ended up boring my girlfriend to death my taking stills of the film on my iphone and sending them to her every 15 minutes for 4 hours - she suffers.

It's a 10 for me. Sorry
Rob

Make no mistake, Taxi Driver has been seen by lots of people but the majority of people on the Reelviews forum, as Rob indicated, don't have any active interest. At least to my knowledge. There are many many many movies in The Great Movies section and there are many many many movies that haven't gotten a single comment. Goodfellas? Not one, so far. The Godfather? Nobody. People aren't that interested. That's a shame. They'd probably disagree with my thinking it's a shame. Someone out there should be watching The Godfather or Taxi Driver for the first time tonight. As much admirable cheerleading as any of us could do for a single movie I don't think the battle for hearts and minds is being won by our end of things.

To get someone, anyone, to see Taxi Driver for the first time would be great. It's a great movie! I don't care if it places #28 on the list of 1000 or 995 on that same list.

How could some more interest be generated in The Great Movies section? Any ideas? Anyone? James? James Berardinelli? Surely you've got something to add to the dialogue!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:29 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

It's a 10 for me. Sorry
Rob

Make no mistake, Taxi Driver has been seen by lots of people but the majority of people on the Reelviews forum, as Rob indicated, don't have any active interest. At least to my knowledge. There are many many many movies in The Great Movies section and there are many many many movies that haven't gotten a single comment. Goodfellas? Not one, so far. The Godfather? Nobody. People aren't that interested. That's a shame. They'd probably disagree with my thinking it's a shame. Someone out there should be watching The Godfather or Taxi Driver for the first time tonight. As much admirable cheerleading as any of us could do for a single movie I don't think the battle for hearts and minds is being won by our end of things.

To get someone, anyone, to see Taxi Driver for the first time would be great. It's a great movie! I don't care if it places #28 on the list of 1000 or 995 on that same list.

How could some more interest be generated in The Great Movies section? Any ideas? Anyone? James? James Berardinelli? Surely you've got something to add to the dialogue!

For me, I would rather see something new and have something fresh to say about a movie. I can talk about Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Once Upon a Time in the West and all the rest of the movies I've seen but I want to say something more than "It's awesome!"

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 pm
Cinematographer

majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

It's a 10 for me. Sorry
Rob

I was completely kidding in what I said above.

As for many of the great movies in this forum not having any posts, I wouldn't say that there isn't any interest. It's partly because only a small fraction of those who browse the forum are into this whole cinematic journey. I personally haven't posted in them yet just because this forum is so immense. Usually there is one or two threads in each forum that I follow, but in this one, EVERY SINGLE THREAD is interesting. It's hard to keep up. The other thing is, some of those movies are just so famous, it's hard to add something to the discussion. The Godfather - what hasn't already been said? I think that is why the threads on L'avventura and Persona are getting so much attention. Those films are more obscure and we can have an interesting discussion.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:51 pm
Patrick wrote:

For me, I would rather see something new and have something fresh to say about a movie. I can talk about Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Once Upon a Time in the West and all the rest of the movies I've seen but I want to say something more than "It's awesome!"

Actually I disagree. For me many of the top 100 movies were "new" because I'd never seen them before.

I have a choice with my hours on planet earth, modern crap developed to fleece people out of $$ or the greatest movies of all time.

I've started the 100-200 section and it's every bit as good as the previous lot.

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 am
majoraphasia wrote:
James? James Berardinelli? Surely you've got something to add to the dialogue!

Actually I'm curious. Why is a serious film reviewer and owner of this forum so averse to discussing great movies?

I may be wrong but as far as I can remember I have never seen a single post on the journey thread or the great movie section in over three months?

Hot actresses - he's there in a flash!
Box office - yup there again
GI Joe - all the time

James- you have become conspicuous by your absence - what say you? You really are most welcome!

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:41 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Actually I disagree. For me many of the top 100 movies were "new" because I'd never seen them before.

I have a choice with my hours on planet earth, modern crap developed to fleece people out of $$ or the greatest movies of all time.

I've started the 100-200 section and it's every bit as good as the previous lot.

Rob

That's what I mean by new, stuff I haven't seen before not stuff that's released right now. Trust me, I'm not the guy who rushes out to see GI Joe or TF2 unless friends are involved....and they live in Indy. But TF2 almost happened, but it was sold out.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:46 am
I don't believe enough praise, no matter how repetitive it may seem, can be thrown the way of a movie like Taxi Driver. And, assuming that the praise quotient has been met, there won't be a shortage of things to say about it and mull over for the rest of history. There's always a new angle that can be brought in (say, different versions of Travis Bickle appearing in all sorts of antihero films) and, when you start breaking down the individual scenes, never a shortage of insights and guesses into what everyone was trying to accomplish when the set forth to make the picture. Discussions on why Taxi Driver remains relevant today (it's 33-years-old) are entirely possible. This forum doesn't have to be a list of likes and dislikes alone. The Great Movies section doesn't need to be a chorus of "That was great!" or "That was overrated!". I envision a time when, after the "That was great!" is shouted, a full defense of the statement will be made. Limiting the discussion to opinion alone is cheating a great movie out of the analysis it deserves.

Why has Taxi Driver stuck around for so long? Why not Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 in its place? What was Paul Schrader trying to predict and has this prediction amounted to anything significant? Is the movie hopeful or just plain cynical? Can Travis Bickle ever recognize himself for what he really is as opposed to moving the rearview mirror every single time he catches a reflection of himself?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 am
Cinematographer

Robert Holloway wrote:
Actually I'm curious. Why is a serious film reviewer and owner of this forum so averse to discussing great movies?

I may be wrong but as far as I can remember I have never seen a single post on the journey thread or the great movie section in over three months?

Hot actresses - he's there in a flash!
Box office - yup there again
GI Joe - all the time

James- you have become conspicuous by your absence - what say you? You really are most welcome!

Rob

I wonder if he even knows how much this part of the forum has taken off. There might not be a huge number of people here, but we certainly are dedicated. Look at me, I'm about to be thoughtful about Taxi Driver at 1:57 AM.

majoraphasia wrote:
Why has Taxi Driver stuck around for so long? Why not Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 in its place? What was Paul Schrader trying to predict and has this prediction amounted to anything significant? Is the movie hopeful or just plain cynical? Can Travis Bickle ever recognize himself for what he really is as opposed to moving the rearview mirror every single time he catches a reflection of himself?

Ah, discussion questions. Good sir, I shall play your game!

I think one of the main reasons why Taxi Driver has been around so long was because it was one of the first movies to bring up child prostitution. It was also Jodie Foster's first big role. Now, I know that I usually complain about the movies that are only remembered for the firsts that they had, but I believe that this film deserves its spot on the list.

Predictions? I don't think he was making predictions. If anything, Schrader was pointing out how there will always be "scum" and hatred and that no amount of work against it will be effective. I didn't find this movie hopeful at all. Any hope that comes out of Bickle's act at the end is undermined by his look of paranoia in the final scene. I guess I'm going to go with cynical.

Can he see himself for what he is? A better question is can we see ourselves for who we are. I think Bickle is a symbol for humanity in general. He is flawed and has his low moments, but he does know the difference between right and wrong.

Something else that I wanted to bring up: in the climax scene, do you believe that Bickle is carrying out an act of heroism? Or is heroism awarded after the fact, and is he really motivated by something else?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:06 am
Darthyoshi, impressive late night work!...

I have a slightly different angle on the same point of view.

Has there ever been a better film about loneliness and being disenfranchised from society?

In our own ways we all have a little Travis Bickle inside us at times and when we see the film we see ourselves to different degrees. Most of us, thank goodness, don't take it to his extreme, but it's there. We are fascinated by the character at a very base level.

Every time I see this film my appreciation for it grows. I think I first saw it at college and liked it on a superficial level. For me it's yet another example of how my thinking and appreciation of films changes with time and repeat viewings. i do think that is Scorsese's best movie.

Rob

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am
It's been a few years since I last saw Taxi Driver. It was the summers in high school and college where I decided that I would stop renting the "new releases" at the video store opting instead for the older films. For one, they were cheaper, two, I found myself watching better films.

You see, up to this point, the movies I would watch seemed to be tidy little packages complete with a bow on top. They was always a resolution, and usually a happy ending. It required no thinking on my part after the end credits rolled.

I believe my first exposure to Scorsese was GoodFellas. That film got me to seek out other works from the director and it was one of those summers where I watched Taxi Driver. My immediate reaction was, "What the hell? That's the ending?" The thing was, I kept thinking about it. For years even.

It was in college where I was in the dorm room of one of my closest buddies (a hardcore Japanese guy with a thick accent named Fuku) where I find a Taxi Driver DVD. I ask him about it and he tells me that it is one of his most favorite movies. I decide to watch it with him and still, I'm trying to tie everything together.

Why did take Betsy there of all places on that first date?
Why assasinate the Senator?
Was he trying to be a hero at the climax or did he just want to kill someone...anyone?
Is the ending a dream? Is it all in his head?

I think the whole making-me-think-thing is what makes this a great movie. It sticks with you...you know?

Sorry...that was long winded. Kind of my little history with Taxi Driver.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 am
ram1312 wrote:
It's been a few years since I last saw Taxi Driver. It was the summers in high school and college where I decided that I would stop renting the "new releases" at the video store opting instead for the older films. For one, they were cheaper, two, I found myself watching better films.

You see, up to this point, the movies I would watch seemed to be tidy little packages complete with a bow on top. They was always a resolution, and usually a happy ending. It required no thinking on my part after the end credits rolled.

I believe my first exposure to Scorsese was GoodFellas. That film got me to seek out other works from the director and it was one of those summers where I watched Taxi Driver. My immediate reaction was, "What the hell? That's the ending?" The thing was, I kept thinking about it. For years even.

It was in college where I was in the dorm room of one of my closest buddies (a hardcore Japanese guy with a thick accent named Fuku) where I find a Taxi Driver DVD. I ask him about it and he tells me that it is one of his most favorite movies. I decide to watch it with him and still, I'm trying to tie everything together.

Why did take Betsy there of all places on that first date?
Why assasinate the Senator?
Was he trying to be a hero at the climax or did he just want to kill someone...anyone?
Is the ending a dream? Is it all in his head?

I think the whole making-me-think-thing is what makes this a great movie. It sticks with you...you know?

Sorry...that was long winded. Kind of my little history with Taxi Driver.

Hi Ram1312 and welcome to our little area

You are so right that great movies make you think and often challenge you. So many movies are forgotten within a few hours of watching them. Greta movies can be discovered with multiple watchings. Greta movies have you changing your opinion and understanding as they open themselves up to you.

They aren't for everyone of course, but my experience is that they are strangely addictive once you start.

Rob

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm