Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 pm

23 City Lights 
Post 23 City Lights
need comments

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 am
Post "City Lights"
“City Lights” (1931)*

Charlie Chaplin writes, directs and stars in this silent film. “The Tramp” (Chaplin) prevents the suicide of an inebriated wealthy man and is befriended during the man’s drunkenness. However, during sobriety, the man will take no visitors. One day, Tramp encounters a beautiful blind girl (Virginia Cherrill) who is selling flowers. He is immediately smitten. During another of the wealthy man’s drunken episodes, Tramp uses the wealthy man's car to further impress the girl and discovers her financial trouble. The man later gives Tramp a large amount of money; money that could change his life. The closing scene is magical and requires no words.

Awf Hand gives 4 out of 4 stars. It is certainly worth noting that Chaplin crafted this silent film in an era when talkies had long since arrived. Previously a necessity of the industry, silence was used here as a form of expression. Although we never hear them say a word, the messages are clear, and this is probably one of the most endearing silent films made.

*Time Magazine top 100 films of all time.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am
Post Re: "City Lights"
City Lights is one of my favorite movies. Among Chaplin’s body of work, I rate only Modern Times and The Gold Rush higher.

Anyways, my local art house recently had a Chaplin marathon, and I was fortunate enough to see The Gold Rush, Modern Times, and City Lights all on the big screen. Upon seeing City Lights in the theater, I was surprised by how powerful the experience was compared to seeing it at home (I’d seen it dozens of times previously). Chaplin’s face was always so emotive, seeing it on a large screen really focused, almost crystallized his powers of expression. I’m not a sentimental person generally, but seeing City Lights in the theater nearly had me choked up. Great, great film.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm
Post Re: "City Lights"
Prior to "City Lights", I'd not seen any Chaplin. This was my second silent picture and was quite an experience, albeit in a different way than "Metropolis".
I really look forward to "Modern Times", both from your endorsement and my recent enjoyment of "Lights".

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 pm