Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 pm

15 Casablanca 1942 
Post 15 Casablanca 1942
see james review

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 am
Post Re: 15 Casablanca 1942
A truly remarkable achievement in film, this is the story of Rick(Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa(Ingrid Bergman) and of their timeless and ultimately distant love. Ilsa and Rick had a passionate affair in Paris before the invasion by the Germans and when she abruptly ended it with no explanation, Rick clearly is perplexed, hurt and crushed. When she shows up at his cafe in Casablanca(of all the gin joints....) with her husband, his wounds are re-opened and it's obvious by the reaction to his piano man Sam (when he at first refuses to play As Time Goes By for her) that Rick would rather not recall his heartache at Ilsa's hands. When they come face to face once again, Rick is stunned to see her and does not know how to react when her husband needs his help to flee Casablanca. As we all know, he helps her and her husband escape. He is heartbroken but his love for her is undying and as cliche as it seems, he loves her enough to let her go. It is a great role for Bogart in a film in which he utters some of his(and all of film's) greatest lines and is a man in control and in the know in Casablanca who is seemingly all business, that is until Ilsa finds her way back into his life. We are given a glimpse of their affair and Bergman does a great job as the conflicted lover, who is now loyal to her husband but whose love for Rick was true though it ultimately had to end. The supporting players are all very solid and the world of Casablanca as one of backroom deals and intrigues is expertly portrayed. It is one of those few films that you can watch that feels as though it was made in the modern day and in which absolutely nothing needs to change. It is a perfect film. 10/10

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 pm
I'd like to guide you over to Roger Ebert's site for a look at his incredible essay on the film.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 10308/1023

There has been virtually endless praise for this film for over 60 years and even a quick look at it confirms that it should be on every DVD shelf. As Ebert says, it wasn't intended to end up as Casablanca. That it did... yowee.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:41 am
Casablanca, like Se7en, is an extremely good film elevated to even further heights by its magnificent ending. Casablanca has the advantage of looking as flawless today as it did in 1942, with pitch perfect acting and a fully engaging screenplay. You are involved in the film, you want to know what is going to happen. You get to where you care about these people, these are good people (and of course there are bad people). Then, the ending; when old love has been rekindled, but must be placed aside for the greater good. This is more classic thinking, no longer relevant in a modern day society which focuses on the individual above all else, but how it reverberates in your mind as Rick tells Ilsa why she must get on that plane. Never has a film romance stuck with me like the one here in Casablanca. As Rick and Louis walk off into the evening fog, few images stay as fresh and clear. The only other film that brings me as close to "Elevation", as Roger Ebert put it, is It's a Wonderful Life. I couldn't imagine my film going experience being complete without Casablanca.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm
Is it possible to not enjoy Casablanca? I think you'd have to be the stickliest of sticklers to have any major problems with the film. It's one of only two movies that I can undeniably say the following about: You can't consider yourself a film buff or film lover if you don't hold the movie in high esteem (Citizen Kane being the other). To me, it's an absolutely perfect Hollywood film. It feels as fresh and poignant today as it had to in 1942. It might not be my favorite Bogart performance, but it's my favorite Bogart character.

I recommend following major's link to Ebert's thoughts on the movie. He nails it.

It's one of those rare movies that doesn't need to be broken down or analyzed. Not because it isn't worth doing, but because the questions the film raises are readily apparent while watching. It just washes over you. Add in a superb overall story and fantastic character and you have the definition of the term "classic".

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am
I should probably post this in the Cinematic Heresy thread. I have never seen a Humphrey Bogart film...until the beginning of this week. If I were to ask you guys what should be my cherry popping Bogart film, what would you have said? Well, while I was in Costa Rica with my wife's grandfather last summer, he gives me one of his favorite movies of all time...Casablanca.

What can I say about the film that hasn't been said over the course of just about 70 years. They really just don't make them like this anymore. How often can you say nowadays that a movie has you engaged with the storyline alone? Add to that fantastic acting, beautiful photography, iconic movie lines, and on and on and on...it really is one of the greatest movies of all time. I don't know why I've waited so damn long to see these classics.

Couple of more things...listed.

-That Ingrid Bergman...beautiful thing, isn't she? If I made lists and had a top 5 most beautiful women on film, I'd be tempted to put her on there. The way she is shot here is just glorious.
-Humphrey Bogart is one suave mother fucker. Hell yeah. I get it now...I get it.
-We've all heard them...the popular/iconic movie lines from many films. One of my favorite things in the world is finally hearing these lines in the context of their respective film. This film has what, 5 lines on a top 100 list somewhere? Great joy in finally hearing them here.
-I had no clue film's first serial killer was in this movie, Peter Lorre. The fool's got great eyes.
-I don't smoke, but I felt like a cigarette after this movie was over.

Fri May 20, 2011 11:50 am
ram1312 wrote:
-We've all heard them...the popular/iconic movie lines from many films. One of my favorite things in the world is finally hearing these lines in the context of their respective film. This film has what, 5 lines on a top 100 list somewhere? Great joy in finally hearing them here.

Indeed. Many moons ago, when I first started watching the "classics" I had an aversion to seeing Casablanca. I watched stuff like Citizen Kane (heralded by everyone as the "Greatest Movie Ever") with little prejudice. For some stupid reason I was convinced that everyone was wrong and Casablanca was going to be a knapsack full of shit. I went in intending to hate it. Within about 5 minutes I was sure that I was very wrong. By the end I knew this was easily one of the best films of all time. Why? It has everything: acting, decent direction, great chemistry but what I really loved was the script and the dialogue. Few films have ever been this well written and few will ever be.

The only thing missing from the finished product is Bogie's great line that comes from a deleted scene. It was supposed to come right after the "Of all the gin joints in the world..." one. If memory serves right it goes "Maybe the problem is that you broke my heart into a million pieces and so my cock doesn't want to be around you anymore!"

Fri May 20, 2011 1:58 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
The only thing missing from the finished product is Bogie's great line that comes from a deleted scene. It was supposed to come right after the "Of all the gin joints in the world..." one. If memory serves right it goes "Maybe the problem is that you broke my heart into a million pieces and so my cock doesn't want to be around you anymore!"

:lol:

Who knew that Jason Segel starred in one of the greatest films of all time?

Fri May 20, 2011 2:36 pm
That guy Ed...he's so fucking good. You guys are a huge source of humor for me...thank you. Perfect context, too.

Really though, thank you guys for opening my eyes to these films. This here movie, I never would have given a thought to had I not seen it on the forum. Then my wife's grandfather gives it to me. Only it took me just about a year after that to watch it. Now I gotta apologize to the guy.

Ed, you know what you got me thinking now. How would these characters talk if cursing was the norm?

Sun May 22, 2011 7:48 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Ed, you know what you got me thinking now. How would these characters talk if cursing was the norm?

They'd probably sound just like the movies today! Look, it's a good question and I'm not really sure of the answer which is why I'm not a big fan of comparing eras. Let's forget cursing for a second and just look at the way they delivered dialogue. It just wouldn't work today since acting has changed so much. In 60 years people will look back on the dialogue and acting of today and think it antiquated also.

I have no aversion to cursing both in real life and in movies but I firmly believe that we overuse certain words a little. "Fuck" no longer has the power to shock. It's used mainly as a modifier to give a emphasis on the sentence being expressed. That's sad. What do you use when you want to shock now? Probably "Cunt". Most people are still uncomfortable with that and you can't go around saying you're not getting enough "cunting sleep". Well...not yet. However, that will lose its power eventually and then what? Do we invent new curse words to shock audiences in a few decades?

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent and haven't really answered your question which is probably because I couldn't do it. Anybody else care to take a stab?

Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 pm
Oh, no worries about the question Ed. It was more of a hypothetical...I mean, I was picturing Bogey saying "cock" and "fucking bitch tramp" or something like that. It would NOT work at all. Not at all, you're right. Different era. I mean, would we have the same iconic image of the man? Different era.

Sorry to twist the thread here fellas. Went from great thoughtful posts from you guys to Bogey cussin' out a bitch.

Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Oh, no worries about the question Ed. It was more of a hypothetical...I mean, I was picturing Bogey saying "cock" and "fucking bitch tramp" or something like that. It would NOT work at all. Not at all, you're right. Different era. I mean, would we have the same iconic image of the man? Different era.

Sorry to twist the thread here fellas. Went from great thoughtful posts from you guys to Bogey cussin' out a bitch.

Augh! My only worry is you apologising again Mr. 1312. It was an interesting question and is related to the topic on hand. It's certainly more on topic than the "Breathless" thread. Have you ever read that? It quickly becomes a multiple page discussion about anal sex. Seriously.

Tue May 24, 2011 3:29 pm