Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 pm

12 Sunrise 
Post Re: 12 Sunrise 1927
I watched Sunrise yesterday. I'm generally not a fan of silent movies, perhaps with the exceptions of physical comedy and atmospheric horror movies, but this was quite good. In fact, the beginning and end were excellent, but the film was sagging in the middle.

I have little knowledge of and only a limited interest in the technical aspects of filmmaking, but even for me some astonishing scenes were obvious like a very long tracking shot when the protagonist wanders through a swamp. I've never seen anything like it in a silent film. And there are other great scenes and images, which have made this a worthwile experience.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:01 am
Cinematographer

I agree with Unke on the structuring of this film. I was not too impressed by the middle section. The beginning and the ending were beautiful, filled with some of the best silent drama out there. The middle seems like it is there only to connect the two by showing how the two rediscover their love for one another. Yet at times, it seemed to stray from the point, especially when the couple go to the carnival.

Before Rob mentioned the technical achievements of this film, I will have to admit, I was kind of disappointed by this film. I do appreciate it more now, but it still seems like it is as high as it is on the list because of its use of new techniques. Which is, I suppose, part of what you have to consider when critiquing a movie, but its not the part that interests me.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:33 am
Hi Darthyoshi and Unke

I'm wondering if either of you listened to the commentary. I thought it was one of the very best I have heard and a great insight into the influence of the movie upon others.

It was done by a modern day cinematographer.

i had the great pleasure to work with the cinematographer Allen Daviau (ET, Color Purple, Empire of the Sun) for a week and the stories he shared about techniques were of course more than a little interesting and very reminiscent of this commentary.

I will watch Sunrise again next year and come back on the mid section. I raved about this film to my girlfriend and she loved the movie as well :-)

Rob

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi Darthyoshi and Unke

I'm wondering if either of you listened to the commentary. I thought it was one of the very best I have heard and a great insight into the influence of the movie upon others.

It was done by a modern day cinematographer.

No I haven't, I had only time to watch it once and preferred the "original sound". What was that about, by the way? Apart from music, there were so many sound effect (crowd noise, church bells) that it was hardly a silent movie at all. Another weird aspect which struck me was the low number of title cards. I know Murnau once made a film without any title cards, but did Sunrise have a relatively low number (in comparison to other silent movies)?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am
Cinematographer

Yeah, I heard some of the commentary, and they did mention how Sunrise used almost no title cards for the majority of the film. I don't think I watched the whole thing, as it was late at night. I might have to revisit this movie.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 pm
Director

Quote:
I know Murnau once made a film without any title cards, but did Sunrise have a relatively low number

There were very few tittle cards in Murnau's Last Laugh as well. I think it was just his thing, I've seen many silents by other directors that had quite a few cards.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:15 pm
Well isn't this coincidental. I also recently watched Sunrise, the same day Unke did. My opinion is pretty much the same as both Unke's and darthyoshi's, although I think more credit needs to be given to Murnau for so effectively mixing moods. I can't think of any other movie (except for maybe Adaptation., which I also watched recently) that so effectively mixes drama, romance, comedy, tragedy, and, to some degree horror. I do agree that the comedic/romantic portion of the movie goes on too long, but that seems like a fairly minor quibble, all things considered. Also, as has been said repeatedly, the cinematography is pretty fantastic. 9/10

On a side note, does anyone recall a scene where the woman from the city is describing the city to the man and all the images of the city circle around above them, which causes the woman to get up and start spastically dancing. Did anyone else find that scene unintentionally hilarious? That was probably a bigger knock on the movie for me than the overlong middle section, if only because it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the first part.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:10 pm
Cinematographer

Zeppelin wrote:
On a side note, does anyone recall a scene where the woman from the city is describing the city to the man and all the images of the city circle around above them, which causes the woman to get up and start spastically dancing. Did anyone else find that scene unintentionally hilarious? That was probably a bigger knock on the movie for me than the overlong middle section, if only because it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the first part.

I do remember that scene. I didn't find it hilarious, but it was kind of weird. I guess it does stick out, once you think about it. I guess its kind of forgettable because of the other scenes that stick out even more, for instance the carnival.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 pm