Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:04 am

7 Searchers, The 1963 
Post 7 Searchers, The 1963
From Darthyoshi on the cinematic journey

Just saw The Searchers.

First of all, I hate John Wayne and dislike most westerns. Considering this, I actually liked it a lot. It was made in 1955, so this was before John Wayne started to make fun of himself in movies like McClintock. His character had much more depth than I have ever seen in any other Western. He came from the Confederate ranks and returned to his family in Texas in 1868 with a questionable stash of newly minted Northern money. He is cold, realistic, and racist. As the movie takes place over about 5 years, you have to wonder what keeps him motivated. The cinematography was fantastic. It was the factor that really made this movie more than just a western. Of course, it had its silly characters for comic relief, and its stupid 1950s stereotypes. I think my favorite part was where Marty and Charlie were going to fight over the girl, going in between courteousness and violent hatred. Reminded me of The Rules of the Game, to be honest.

Not the best movie, but definitely one of the best westerns.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:15 am
Post Re: 7 Searchers, The 1963
This is an amazing film. It deserves it's place on the list and could be the best western ever made. It's not without flaws but they come with the time period which this film was made. The cinematography is top notch. The Searchers is a must see on Blu-ray.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:58 pm
Director

This film is one of my top three favorite films of all time, a true classic.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Post Re: THE BROADWAY MELODY (1929)
Quote:
The Searchers: Saddled with a ridiculous subplot that eats up running time and slows the movie down to a crawl, The Searchers is a decidedly overrated movie. I'll take George C. Scott in Schrader's Hardcore any day over the Duke in this slow, slow film.

The Searchers is one of the best films ever made and The Duke should have been nominated for Best Actor that year. This movie proved John Wayne wasn't a one trick pony.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Profile YIM
Critic

Post Re: THE BROADWAY MELODY (1929)
Okay I can buy the argument that the Searchers is well-shot, and the last shot in particular is good, but why exactly is it one of the best films ever made? Again, the subplot is unredeemably awful. It'd be like if Citizen Kane had a segment in which the bumbling Jedidah had a love interest and amusing antics and pratfalls ensued. It's unbelievably jarring and at right angles to the rest of the film.

And if you think that The Searchers proved John Wayne had more than one note in him, you have very low standards for actors' range. It reminds me of when people claimed Hugh Grant was playing a "different" role in Bridget Jones' Diary because instead of being sweetly charming and affable he was roguishly charming and affable. John Wayne, like Grant, is ideally suited for some roles but I think he's decidedly one-note

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:01 pm
“The Searchers”(1956)*
Director John Ford's 1956 Western "The Searchers" features John Wayne as Ethan, a weary Civil War veteran who's young niece Debbie (Lana Wood/Natalie Wood) was abducted and her family slain by raiding Comanche. Ethan and an adopted 'nephew' (Jeffrey Hunter) spend the next several years searching for the girl. Entering the world of “The Searchers” is an engulfing experience, with involving characters and plot. This is a study in perfection of cinematography and lighting where each frame could be a wall portrait. Even if you don’t like Westerns, you’ll appreciate Ford’s vision, as undoubtedly this film is a teaching tool.

Awf Hand gives 4 out of 4 stars and adds: This is the first movie I’ve ever seen that I would attend a midnight viewing, simply to see it on a theater screen. -Maybe it’s time I bought a larger screen TV. A distressing note on this film was the very poor audio quality. The DVD package said “re-mastered” video and audio. While the video was superb, perhaps due to 40-50 years of storage the audio strip embedded near the edge of the original celluloid had demagnetized (?) and had lost some of it’s mid/high frequencies, as the music was fluttery to a point that I would not own this version of the DVD.
Time Magazine top 100 films of all time AND Yahoo’s 100 movies to see before you die.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
“The Searchers”(1956)*
Director John Ford's 1956 Western "The Searchers" features John Wayne as Ethan, a weary Civil War veteran who's young niece Debbie (Lana Wood/Natalie Wood) was abducted and her family slain by raiding Comanche. Ethan and an adopted 'nephew' (Jeffrey Hunter) spend the next several years searching for the girl. Entering the world of “The Searchers” is an engulfing experience, with involving characters and plot. This is a study in perfection of cinematography and lighting where each frame could be a wall portrait. Even if you don’t like Westerns, you’ll appreciate Ford’s vision, as undoubtedly this film is a teaching tool.

Awf Hand gives 4 out of 4 stars and adds: This is the first movie I’ve ever seen that I would attend a midnight viewing, simply to see it on a theater screen. -Maybe it’s time I bought a larger screen TV. A distressing note on this film was the very poor audio quality. The DVD package said “re-mastered” video and audio. While the video was superb, perhaps due to 40-50 years of storage the audio strip embedded near the edge of the original celluloid had demagnetized (?) and had lost some of it’s mid/high frequencies, as the music was fluttery to a point that I would not own this version of the DVD.
Time Magazine top 100 films of all time AND Yahoo’s 100 movies to see before you die.

I just don't get this.

Is the Searchers a great western and a great film? Yes. Is it one of the top ten movies ever made, scratches head.

I'd love to hear us have a calm discussion about the top ten westerns and why. i';d suggest that this is not the best of it's genre let alone one of the greatest movies ever made.

I'll throw in a couple of reasons.

John Wayne is a very good actor but he is not able and the script and director do not allow him to dig as deep as others might. Was John Ford aware of his stars limitations, and that's OK.

The silly comic relief

I will suggest that the story connects deeply with many people and the iconic cinematography (I spent a week holed up in the Death Valley locations on another shoot) adds to the effect.

From my perspective, a film has to be close to perfect across the board to reach the status of all time greats.

The Searchers is a really good movie and a top western, but......

Puts on metal helmet and flack jacket, jumps into trench and waits quietly :-)
Rob

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:
“The Searchers”(1956)*

I just don't get this.

Is the Searchers a great western and a great film? Yes. Is it one of the top ten movies ever made, scratches head.

I'd love to hear us have a calm discussion about the top ten westerns and why. i';d suggest that this is not the best of it's genre let alone one of the greatest movies ever made.

I'll throw in a couple of reasons.

John Wayne is a very good actor but he is not able and the script and director do not allow him to dig as deep as others might. Was John Ford aware of his stars limitations, and that's OK.

The silly comic relief

I will suggest that the story connects deeply with many people and the iconic cinematography (I spent a week holed up in the Death Valley locations on another shoot) adds to the effect.

From my perspective, a film has to be close to perfect across the board to reach the status of all time greats.

The Searchers is a really good movie and a top western, but......

Puts on metal helmet and flack jacket, jumps into trench and waits quietly :-)
Rob

I agree with you Rob, and I think a lot of the forum members do too.

I really like the movie, but I don't even consider it Ford's best Western. He's made at least one, and maybe 2, better Westerns.

We should do something for the top 10 Westerns on the forum. I'd certainly be down for that.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 pm