Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:03 pm

4 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968 
Post 4 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968
see James review

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:14 am
Post Re: 4 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968
From Darthyoshi on the cinematic journey

Just watched 2001. I'm not quite sure where to start. Spoiler alert, I guess... If you don't already know...

Well, first off, I am acquainted with Stanley Kubrick and his style. He uses images and sounds to produce an effect on the viewer rather than through characterization and sometimes plot. Which can be interesting, especially when used in the way it was in The Shining, but in my opinion, it was overused here.

Part one started off with pretty pictures of prehistoric Earth landscapes, and a story about a small group of ape creatures. I thought it made sense, and once I got past the odd costumes and the sets, it was interesting. And then the monolith appeared, and then they found tools, and then they killed one of the other apes, which invokes the question about morality and progress/evolution, etc. I'm there so far.

Part two was essentially meaningless until the next monolith appeared. I think I liked this part best though, because of the rotating gravity sets of the various spaceships and space station. I think Kubrick's style was best used here. The second monolith showed that man would now be meant to evolve again.

Part three bore the brunt of the plot. There were some shocking moments, and overall this chapter seemed to be the shortest. The problem was resolved as quickly as it presented itself. This is also where Kubrick's style became annoying to me. There were parts that just seemed like a waste of time, and sound effects that were so loud and piercing that my dad actually came into the room to find out what the noise was. I liked the death of HAL, it seemed to be a great ending to something that was so "infallible". For man to create a perfect being, which then destroys the standards that we believe in, and then for man to put an end to its creation, was all very allegorical and religious. It brought up questions regarding morality, the meaning of life, and man's purpose and position. The only other thing that I have seen or read that brought up such questions was King Lear.

Part four was 10 minutes of trippiness, followed by the main character aging in a weird hotel room and then turning into a baby. And another monolith. Honestly, I don't see why this had to be here, other than to show the actual evolution of man. I thought that the destruction of the infallible was evolution enough. Apparently Kubrick needed to take the Ubermensch idea all the way. Oh well.

Overall, I'm not sure if I like this movie yet. It might take some time.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am
Cinematographer

After watching some more Kubrick, I'm actually feeling more distant from this movie. I'm understanding his style more and more, but I think he's done better work on Clockwork Orange and even Full Metal Jacket. He is very versatile; I thought The Killing was a film noir masterpiece. I think I'll stick with my previous statements.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 pm
Assistant Director

I thought Keir Dullea did a better job here than noted in part two of the review, especially in the scene where he is outside in the capsule and HAL refuses to open the pod bay door. His non-verbals show he knows he may die, has to come up with a plan to get inside, HAL is in control, etc. Sometimes it's better to not say anything than to show up freaking out.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:53 am
Post 2001: A Space Odyssey
Today, I decided to watch 2001 for the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised. Despite the slow pace, it held my attention, and I was shocked by how well the special effects stood up, considering its a 60's movie. My favorite parts involved the scenes with HAL. HAL made a very interesting villain, and made the movie as a whole much more entertaining. Then there's the ending. At first, I was thinking "what the crap?" because of all the psycadellic colors and the mansion scene. But, after giving it some thought, I've come to a conclusion of what it could symbolize. I think the movie as a whole represents the journey through life, with HAL representing life's difficulties, and the "starchild" symbolizing how people will remember us after we have passed away. Since the ending is so open ended, I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of the ending, and the meaning of the movie in general.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:52 pm
Post Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Slade wrote:
Since the ending is so open ended, I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of the ending, and the meaning of the movie in general.

Meaning?

Aw man...I don't know.

It does make you think though...technology, let's rely on it a little bit less.

And now I'm logging out.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:51 am
2001 is one of the very few movies in my running for the best films ever made. It's a masterpiece of the cinematic form, and a compelling portrayal of man as a species in adolescence--a period in which it has gained power, but doesn't yet know how to comport itself. It's also the single most chilling and realistic portrayal of first contact in science fiction that I can think of.

As much as I like Kubrick's other movies, this one is the most ambitious and most creatively successful of any of them.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm
Post Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Slade wrote:
and the "starchild" symbolizing how people will remember us after we have passed away.

I've never really thought the "starchild" had much to do with death. To me, it was all about the next phase of our evolution. The first contact with the monolith allowed the ape to evolve into man. The ending represents the next step, the evolution of man into a "starchild".

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 pm
I'll second the "starchild as inevitable human evolution into pure thought" line of thinking. Or perhaps it was Kubrick/Clarke's attempt to describe our current modes of thinking as nascent at best. Either way you've got something like hope.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:43 pm
It seems that most everyone thinks that this movie is about evolution. If that's the way you interpret it, fine, see it however you want to see it, but the ending is so open ended and the movie can be interpreted in so many ways, that it would be a waste to simply limit oneself to say that it symbolizes evolution. Think outside the box.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:53 pm
Slade wrote:
It seems that most everyone thinks that this movie is about evolution. If that's the way you interpret it, fine, see it however you want to see it, but the ending is so open ended and the movie can be interpreted in so many ways, that it would be a waste to simply limit oneself to say that it symbolizes evolution. Think outside the box.
Well, I'd caution you to remember that "evolution" is a very general term, with plenty of applications. It doesn't necessarily connotate biological evolution, although it very well can.

2001 is most definitely about evolution, in the sense that evolution is a measure of progress. The Starchild is, in whatever sense you like, humanity evolved. It's the next major leap forward from whatever we are now.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 am