Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:02 am

3 Rules of the Game 
Post Re: 3 Rules of the Game, The 1939
Gotta BUMP this one to (a) hopefully get some people to check it out and offer something in the way of comments and (b) remind myself to watch this after L'Avventura tomorrow night. Really the first one, though.

See a movie that was hissed at when first released!

See a movie that has lasted 70 years and has been taught in film schools the world wide!

See a movie that, unfortunately, only Robert Holloway and myself (and it's been far too long) have apparently seen!

Hey! Zeppelin! See this movie!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm
Cinematographer

This was the first movie that I saw at the beginning of the cinematic journey.

It is now one of my favorite movies, possibly my favorite.

This is a film about society, love, and relationships. It's just so good that I can't even begin to talk about it. Heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time.

See it. And the Jean Renoir intro.

10/10

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:12 pm
Terrific movie. Being the clown is a lonely existence.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Gotta BUMP this one to (a) hopefully get some people to check it out and offer something in the way of comments and (b) remind myself to watch this after L'Avventura tomorrow night. Really the first one, though.

See a movie that was hissed at when first released!

See a movie that has lasted 70 years and has been taught in film schools the world wide!

See a movie that, unfortunately, only Robert Holloway and myself (and it's been far too long) have apparently seen!

Hey! Zeppelin! See this movie!

I already have. I've fallen (way) behind on writing on all the great films I've been watching recently, many of them on the list. For example, I've also seen, but not discussed at all, Sunrise, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Annie Hall, Sunset Blvd, Solaris, and Cries and Whispers. And that's just off the top of my head!

Despite all that, my main reason for not writing on The Rules of the Game is that I doubt there's anything more I can add on it. I could repeat what everyone else has been saying about it for God knows how long, but how many "This is fantastic"s does it really need? I'll definitely throw in my recommendation to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, as this may be one of the freshest films made pre-1967 I've seen yet. Yes, even with all the pre-WW2 French stuff. A masterpiece if there ever was one. I liked it so much I went to Amazon and bought the Jean Renoir collection, which I recommended hartily. For only $16 (Currently, I paid $22) you can have 6 of Renoir's lesser known movies. Come on people, that's a bargain!

Also, The Rules of the Game really funny. I did not see that coming when I popped in the DVD.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm
I'm a-ready for Rules of the Game. It's been a long, long time. A few posts have referred to it as comedy and that's amazing, really, because I remember absolutely nothing about it other than one of the characters trying to fix a mechanical bird. Really: that's all I remember. I looked at the cast list and saw Jean Renoir plays a lead character and, in a moment of great lucidity, realized I had seen only 30 or so minutes of this picture. That's it! In the Last Movie You Watched thread I somehow managed to confuse this film with The Most Dangerous Game which, if you take a look, is why my comments don't make a lick of sense. Weird. So, for the first time (really) will be Rules of the Game. Here's hoping there isn't a hunter going after humans for sport.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:54 am
Cinematographer

majoraphasia wrote:
I'm a-ready for Rules of the Game. It's been a long, long time. A few posts have referred to it as comedy and that's amazing, really, because I remember absolutely nothing about it other than one of the characters trying to fix a mechanical bird. Really: that's all I remember. I looked at the cast list and saw Jean Renoir plays a lead character and, in a moment of great lucidity, realized I had seen only 30 or so minutes of this picture. That's it! In the Last Movie You Watched thread I somehow managed to confuse this film with The Most Dangerous Game which, if you take a look, is why my comments don't make a lick of sense. Weird. So, for the first time (really) will be Rules of the Game. Here's hoping there isn't a hunter going after humans for sport.

Haha, I don't think there is a mechanical bird in The Rules of the Game. One guy has a bunch of random music contraptions, that might be what you're thinking of.

Advice to the first time(ish) viewer: pay attention to the characters. They are hard to distinguish for the first 45 minutes or so.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:52 am
Alright, I rented this from my local library and provided it doesn't fail me like a few other discs from there, I'll have my thoughts on this Sunday. But don't hold your breath, I took a look at the feature disc(I got the Criterion) and it doesn't look too good but miracles happen and such.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 pm
I watched the epic double feature of Rules of the Game and L'Avventura this evening. I'll word it up on both movies tomorrow but, for now, I'll add to the chorus -- although my addition will have to be slightly muted. Rules of the Game was very entertaining and frequently impressive but it was almost mannered -- perhaps this is because the film was made in 1939 but, regardless, I wasn't moved to start believing that one of my lives ended with the screening and the new one begins with the great enlightenment of Renoir. Very good movie, all the same. L'Avventura on the other hand...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:15 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I watched the epic double feature of Rules of the Game and L'Avventura this evening. I'll word it up on both movies tomorrow but, for now, I'll add to the chorus -- although my addition will have to be slightly muted. Rules of the Game was very entertaining and frequently impressive but it was almost mannered -- perhaps this is because the film was made in 1939 but, regardless, I wasn't moved to start believing that one of my lives ended with the screening and the new one begins with the great enlightenment of Renoir. Very good movie, all the same. L'Avventura on the other hand...

You're a tease on L'Avventura, very intrigued!
Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:26 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

You're a tease on L'Avventura, very intrigued!
Rob

To further build what little suspense I'm able to build I'll say this:

L'Avventura is two movies for the price of one. Antonioni used deep focus for a specific reason -- there's lots of stuff happening in the background. This one deserves a second look for those who found themselves nonplused the first time through -- Antonioni raises tons of questions in the film but he answers more than you may think.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:09 am
Cinematographer

Wow, that's definitely a different perspective than what I've heard about L'avventura so far. I invite you to provide your extended analysis in the L'avventura topic... I think we all left it saying "meh"...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am
darthyoshi wrote:
Wow, that's definitely a different perspective than what I've heard about L'avventura so far. I invite you to provide your extended analysis in the L'avventura topic... I think we all left it saying "meh"...

yeah, as i said i can't wait and I'm more than happy, armed with more information to go back to Italy and admit that I was wrong.

Rob

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:40 am
And of course the the disc became corrupted and unwatchable 10 minutes in. Which kinda ticks me off because the ten minutes I did see were pretty good with everybody implying that they were screwing each other, stuff I like in movies, and it was pretty funny. Maybe someday, I'll find a non-corrupted disc of it.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:09 am
Patrick wrote:
And of course the the disc became corrupted and unwatchable 10 minutes in. Which kinda ticks me off because the ten minutes I did see were pretty good with everybody implying that they were screwing each other, stuff I like in movies, and it was pretty funny. Maybe someday, I'll find a non-corrupted disc of it.

That's how I felt about that start too. Really promising stuff. Thereafter the film dropped (slightly), but there are still a few fantastic scenes (the hunt). Overall, this is a good film that lovers of classic cinema should check out. I just don't think it's the third best film of all time. It wouldn't even make my top 100.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:22 pm