Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 am

2 Vertigo 
Post Re: 2 Vertigo
One of the things that really strikes me about Vertigo (and Rear Window, the two best Hitchcock films I've seen) is how perfectly and elegantly composed it is. Take the now famous shot of Kim Novak's character walking though the green tinted haze towards Stewart's character as he focuses on the woman he fell in love with, doing everything to hold onto the lie he had been convinced of earlier in the film and so desperately grasps for now, but can't. Or the overhead shot of the mission after [spoiler]Novak's character (supposedly) plunges to her death.[/spoiler]. Last but not least, my favorite shot in the film; as Stewart confronts the guilt ridden Novak, climbing closer and closer to the top of the missions tower, and once she can't take it anymore [spoiler]she truly does jump, as you hear her scream[/spoiler] the camera focuses on Stewart, in truly one of the most bitter ironies a film has ever concluded on.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm
“Vertigo” (1958)

Detective John Ferguson (James Stewart) is involved in the death of a fellow officer. The officer falls when trying to help Ferguson after a rooftop chase leaves him hanging. It is a newly realized paralyzing fear of heights that leads Ferguson to an early resignation. His unemployment becomes short lived, however, as an old college friend Gavin Elster (Tom Helmore) contacts him about some private detective work. The work will involve trailing Elster’s wife (Kim Novak). Elster is not suspecting an affair. He is suspecting that his wife may be possessed. From here the story takes a creepy turn as the masterful Hitchcock leads us once again to a sucker punch conclusion. James Stewart portrays intelligence, strength and vulnerability well and is superb as Detective Ferguson. Kim Novak captivates no matter which “character” she is playing. Clues vital to the plot are dropped a bit heavily but, despite this, “Vertigo” is my favorite so far of Hitchcock’s films.

Awf Hand gives 4 out of 4 stars. This is THE movie I will use to introduce suspense movies to my children.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 am
I’m glad you bumped this thread, Awf Hand, although I slightly disagree that Vertigo works exceptionally well as a suspense thriller (the villain’s plot is a tad too ludicrous and much of the suspense is lost after the villain’s plan is revealed midway through the movie). Vertigo has a lot of other qualities, though.

I actually have a question. Upon my most recent viewing I noticed (or might have noticed) an odd bit of dialogue. In the beginning of the movie, following the rooftop chase sequence, Scotty (Stewart) talks with Midge (Barbara Bel Geddes) about his vertigo and describes a recent dream about the incident which led to his acrophobia. In the course of this, he says something along the lines of "I still see it before my eyes, my hand reaching out to hold him ...". However, in the actual event, it was the policeman who reached out to Scotty rather than the other way round.

Of course, I might be reading a bit too much into this – after all, Scotty is talking about a dream he had. But I'm still wondering: Is Scotty deliberately lying about the accident? Is Scotty’s false account of what actually happened an attempt to absolve himself of any responsibility, perhaps even subconsciously? If so, it might be exemplary for Scotty’s character. He is someone who doesn’t take responsibility for his actions (or inaction) and doesn’t face his shortcomings. This is pretty much how the judge describes his personality at the later trial.

What do you think?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
“Vertigo” (1958)

Detective John Ferguson (James Stewart) is involved in the death of a fellow officer. The officer falls when trying to help Ferguson after a rooftop chase leaves him hanging. It is a newly realized paralyzing fear of heights that leads Ferguson to an early resignation. His unemployment becomes short lived, however, as an old college friend Gavin Elster (Tom Helmore) contacts him about some private detective work. The work will involve trailing Elster’s wife (Kim Novak). Elster is not suspecting an affair. He is suspecting that his wife may be possessed. From here the story takes a creepy turn as the masterful Hitchcock leads us once again to a sucker punch conclusion. James Stewart portrays intelligence, strength and vulnerability well and is superb as Detective Ferguson. Kim Novak captivates no matter which “character” she is playing. Clues vital to the plot are dropped a bit heavily but, despite this, “Vertigo” is my favorite so far of Hitchcock’s films.

Awf Hand gives 4 out of 4 stars. This is THE movie I will use to introduce suspense movies to my children.

Yay, glad it's your fave as well.
I'm not sure it's the one I'd use toi introduce anyone to Hitchcock as it's not the easiest of 1st watches
Rob

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:38 pm