Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:57 pm

“It Happened One Night” (1934) 
Post “It Happened One Night” (1934)
“It Happened One Night” (1934)*

Wealthy socialite Ellie Andrews (Claudette Colbert) is fed up with her father’s controlling ways and jumps ship –literally. While fleeing back to New York and the famous aviator husband her father disapproves of (He annulled their marriage!), she meets Peter Warne (Clark Gable) a recently-fired newspaper reporter who needs a scoop. Her story is that scoop, but he soon finds that he and this “brat” begin to share more than rides and meals together. When I think of the 1930’s, I don’t think of rom-coms. Colbert/Gable play wonderfully off each other creating the template that others have tried to follow.

Awf Hand gives four out of four stars and adds: This is one of those standouts in the context of history. It represented pure escapism for moviegoers in the Great Depression, and virtually no acknowledgement of ‘hard-times’ was made in the film. In film history, this particular romantic comedy path has been well worn. It’s worthwhile to see an “original”.

*Yahoo’s 100 movies to see before you die.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm
Director

Post Re: “It Happened One Night” (1934)
there is an 80th anniversary screening of this at Lacma on Sat. this film has grown on me over the years, used to think it was overrated, now I think it truly deserves its 'classic' status.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm
Producer

Post Re: “It Happened One Night” (1934)
It's one of those films I can watch over and over. A lot of good performances and funny scenes, including Alan Hale, Sr. as the driver who simply will not stop singing, the Walls of Jericho and the famous hitchhiking scene. There's one moment where it jumps where I suspect a transition scene was cut. I think the jump is to the hitchhiking scene.

When you think of all the great performances Gable and Colbert, it's surprising they got one Oscar each. At least they got them for two of their best performances.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:01 pm