Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:24 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie 

Which is most overrated?
An American in Paris (1951) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
American Beauty (1999) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
A Beautiful Mind (2001) 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Chariots of Fire (1981) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chicago (2002) 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Clerks (1994) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Easy Rider (1969) 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Fantasia (1940) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Field of Dreams (1989) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Forrest Gump (1994) 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Good Will Hunting (1997) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Gone with the Wind (1939) 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Jules and Jim (1962) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Monster's Ball (2001) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Moonstruck (1987) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Mystic River (2003) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Nashville (1975) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
The Red Shoes (1948) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
The Wizard of Oz (1939) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 71

New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7489
Location: Easton, MD
Post New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
I've taken Premiere's list of the 20 most overrated movies and arranged them here. Obviously there are plenty of very overrated films that don't show up on this list (*cough* Fight Club *cough*) but for polling purposes I've limited it to Premiere's twenty. You can vote on up to 3 of them.

This ties in nicely with what we've been talking about elsewhere with divisive movies. Let the arguments begin. (For anyone who's curious, Premiere had Gone with the Wind as number 1 and 2001 as number 2 on the list)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
American Beauty-completely uninvoving and pretentious crapfest. Chicago was bad too, but was ultimately too forgettable to be worth voting for, and while 2001 was a coma-inducingly dull experience for me, I can unnderstand why others find it fascinating


Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:23 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Good Will Hunting was a 1996 release, not 1999. Now that that's out of the way:

I voted for The Red Shoes. I'm not sure why as I thought the movie was perfectly good. It wasn't perfectly great, I suppose. That applies to most of the movies on the list and so voting on two more seemed indulgent. American Beauty would have been on my list in 2000 but, in 2010, the movie is generally viewed as "flawed but good" and that's fair.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Y'all know how I feel about the word "overrated," but I am strongly tempted to choose American Beauty. The list appears to be made up mainly of films that are seen for what they are, but American Beauty was treated as God's gift to a tired and lackluster era of cinema, even though both the movie wasn't God's gift to anything and the era was anything but tired and lackluster.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7489
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
majoraphasia wrote:
Good Will Hunting was a 1996 release, not 1999. Now that that's out of the way


Actually it was 1997 smart guy. Way to go Mark. :)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
I picked Easy Rider and Nashville.

Nashville just got boring by the last 45 minutes and Easy Rider may have been good if I was into mind-altering drugs...which I'm not.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:00 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
It's become trendy to hate on American Beauty.

When Chicago was released i saw it in theater and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then it won best film?

My vote goes for Chicago.

Rob


Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:02 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Good Will Hunting was a 1996 release, not 1999. Now that that's out of the way


Actually it was 1997 smart guy. Way to go Mark. :)


:oops: I could have sworn that I saw it Freshman year at the college place... hmmmm. Maybe it's the mind-altering drugs. That explains why I liked Easy Rider.

Robert Holloway wrote:
It's become trendy to hate on American Beauty.


Yes. Yes it has. Not just American Beauty but Pulp Fiction, Titanic, and virtually every other movie that receives high critical marks. American Beauty was never a great movie but it was always, and will always be, a very good one.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:08 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
majoraphasia wrote:

Robert Holloway wrote:
It's become trendy to hate on American Beauty.


Yes. Yes it has. Not just American Beauty but Pulp Fiction, Titanic, and virtually every other movie that receives high critical marks. American Beauty was never a great movie but it was always, and will always be, a very good one.


Yeah, it seems that there is a real move against this film in particular. It's no masterpiece, but having seen it several times, it really is very good.

Same goes with Pulp Fiction, though that is arguably a masterpiece.

I find Titanic to be quite a bore till the iceberg hits, then it's an amazing tour de force of FX. But that's about all.

Rob


Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Robert Holloway wrote:
Yeah, it seems that there is a real move against this film in particular. It's no masterpiece, but having seen it several times, it really is very good.


The only time I would stand up and defend the criticism of American Beauty is when it's incorrectly labeled the peak (or start or what have you) of American Independent Cinema. It was not an indie film but a studio project that faithfully emulated the 90s indie gestalt*. It didn't do anything different than what John Updike did with his Rabbit Angstrom cycle but, as far as uncomfortable domestic comedies go, it was a good movie.


*this is now my favorite word.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:23 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7489
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Yeah, it seems that there is a real move against this film in particular. It's no masterpiece, but having seen it several times, it really is very good.


The only time I would stand up and defend the criticism of American Beauty is when it's incorrectly labeled the peak (or start or what have you) of American Independent Cinema. It was not an indie film but a studio project that faithfully emulated the 90s indie gestalt*. It didn't do anything different than what John Updike did with his Rabbit Angstrom cycle but, as far as uncomfortable domestic comedies go, it was a good movie.


*this is now my favorite word.


I think the reason for the backlash against this film in particular--and Rob is correct, the anti-American Beauty wave is particularly strong--is because the film was met with absolutely rapturous critical adoration, if not worship, when it came out. It was probably a little overpraised (though I love it) but the backlash has been far too strong

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
I almost voted for Clerks, but I don't think too many people consider it to be a truly great film (I consider it to be an awful film and Smith to be an awful writer and director). I chose 2001, The Red Shoes (boring melodrama), and Gone With The Wind (more boring melodrama). I think that if GWTW hadn't made as much money as it did, I think it would've at least somewhat faded.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
I wish that Fargo had been on this list as it would've instantly gotten my vote here! However, I guess I'm gonna have to go with Forrest Gump. In both cases, neither film is bad, but how they managed to get the massive amounts of critical acclaim that they've gotten over the years is completely beyond me.


Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Based on the votes so far it would appear that I hate you all.

firefly wrote:
I almost voted for Clerks, but I don't think too many people consider it to be a truly great film (I consider it to be an awful film and Smith to be an awful writer and director). I chose 2001, The Red Shoes (boring melodrama), and Gone With The Wind (more boring melodrama). I think that if GWTW hadn't made as much money as it did, I think it would've at least somewhat faded.


Especially you. I remove my Ubuntu love.

oafolay wrote:
I wish that Fargo had been on this list as it would've instantly gotten my vote here! However, I guess I'm gonna have to go with Forrest Gump. In both cases, neither film is bad, but how they managed to get the massive amounts of critical acclaim that they've gotten over the years is completely beyond me.


FARGO??????? You're a fellow Tarantino-phile. Hating Fargo shouldn't be allowed. Incidentally, you can vote for up to 3 films. I'm not sure if I should have told you that.


Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
I agree on Gone With The Wind, it's deifnitely not a film that's worth remembering, same goes for Wizard Of Oz, never understood the fascination for that film at all.


Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:36 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Vexer wrote:
I agree on Gone With The Wind, it's deifnitely not a film that's worth remembering, same goes for Wizard Of Oz, never understood the fascination for that film at all.


Oh! It's really, really great... I love The Wizard of Oz. Not just a glorious technocolor awesome-land but sweet, a lot of fun, and so damned ambitious that it can set even the mopiest to head-spinning. Such a delightful movie that, if you take another look, reveals why it has spun out so much fascination for audiences. On a purely technical level the movie is amazing but it also has a lot of heart... and the end? The scene with The Wizard is some of the greatest comedy of that era. People knock it because they filter it through B&W Nostalgia but, like It's A Wonderful Life (which I just saw for the first time), it's 10,000% more than its legacy's memory would have you believe.


Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:22 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1484
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I agree on Gone With The Wind, it's deifnitely not a film that's worth remembering, same goes for Wizard Of Oz, never understood the fascination for that film at all.


Oh! It's really, really great... I love The Wizard of Oz. Not just a glorious technocolor awesome-land but sweet, a lot of fun, and so damned ambitious that it can set even the mopiest to head-spinning. Such a delightful movie that, if you take another look, reveals why it has spun out so much fascination for audiences. On a purely technical level the movie is amazing but it also has a lot of heart... and the end? The scene with The Wizard is some of the greatest comedy of that era. People knock it because they filter it through B&W Nostalgia but, like It's A Wonderful Life (which I just saw for the first time), it's 10,000% more than its legacy's memory would have you believe.


I agree--I'd put Wizard of Oz far above GWTW. Although I must say that I prefer subsequent covers of Over the Rainbow to Judy Garland's.

_________________
I am a Leaf on the Wind. Watch Me Soar
---
http://www.leafontheweb.com


Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
ed_metal_head wrote:
Based on the votes so far it would appear that I hate you all.

firefly wrote:
I almost voted for Clerks, but I don't think too many people consider it to be a truly great film (I consider it to be an awful film and Smith to be an awful writer and director). I chose 2001, The Red Shoes (boring melodrama), and Gone With The Wind (more boring melodrama). I think that if GWTW hadn't made as much money as it did, I think it would've at least somewhat faded.


Especially you. I remove my Ubuntu love.

oafolay wrote:
I wish that Fargo had been on this list as it would've instantly gotten my vote here! However, I guess I'm gonna have to go with Forrest Gump. In both cases, neither film is bad, but how they managed to get the massive amounts of critical acclaim that they've gotten over the years is completely beyond me.


FARGO??????? You're a fellow Tarantino-phile. Hating Fargo shouldn't be allowed. Incidentally, you can vote for up to 3 films. I'm not sure if I should have told you that.


Guess you didn't read my post to careful did ya, Ed? :) :) Never said I hated Fargo; in fact, I like it to a limited degree. I just don't see it as the masterpiece that many others do. The Coens have definitely done better IMHO!


Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:19 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Here's the thing: A lot of effective comedy relies on acting. Here's the other thing: My 6-month-old nephew can act better than anyone in the cast of Clerks. Oh, and that pseudo-philosophical blabber near the end of it? Stick to dick jokes, Smith. Clerks wins this vote hands down for convincing anyone it was worth anything. There are films that I don't personally like where I can see how others liked them (American Beauty's smugness and pitiful ideology (because everyone knows the best way to overcome middle aged malaise is to smoke pot, work out, and fuck teenagers. You want to talk about the stupidification of America? Back off Transformers for a couple minutes and realize that this is what passed as an "intellectual" work 10 damn years ago) overpowered its significant comedic powers for me), and then there's Clerks, which has nothing but attitude going for it. Nothing.


Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 am
Post Re: New Regime Poll #5: Most overrated movie
Zeppelin wrote:
Here's the thing: A lot of effective comedy relies on acting. Here's the other thing: My 6-month-old nephew can act better than anyone in the cast of Clerks. Oh, and that pseudo-philosophical blabber near the end of it? Stick to dick jokes, Smith. Clerks wins this vote hands down for convincing anyone it was worth anything. There are films that I don't personally like where I can see how others liked them (American Beauty's smugness and pitiful ideology (because everyone knows the best way to overcome middle aged malaise is to smoke pot, work out, and fuck teenagers. You want to talk about the stupidification of America? Back off Transformers for a couple minutes and realize that this is what passed as an "intellectual" work 10 damn years ago) overpowered its significant comedic powers for me), and then there's Clerks, which has nothing but attitude going for it. Nothing.



Zepp

Clerks is in my opinion a good movie.

It's not great or bad

Dunno if it's my most over rated film though

Rob


Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:18 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr