Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Foreign Director Whose Work You Most Just Don't Care For 

Which non-American director's work just kinda sucks?
Francois Truffaut 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jean-Luc Godard 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Akira Kurosawa 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Yasujiro Ozu 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Federico Fellini 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Michelangelo Antonioni 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Jean Renoir 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Andre Tarkovsky 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Sergei Eisenstein 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Ingmar Bergman 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

Foreign Director Whose Work You Most Just Don't Care For 
Critic

Post Foreign Director Whose Work You Most Just Don't Care For
I'm avoiding the word "overrated" to please Ken. Later today or tomorrow I'll make a domestic version, but I like the xenophobia angle right now so let's get started with the usual suspects. You are allowed to choose two directors whose work remains baffling, enigmatic, overpraised, or just plain sucky.

I'm going to keep things classic, so no Lars Von Trier or the great Uwe Boll.

Vote!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Post Re: Foreign Director Whose Work You Most Just Don't Care For
I picked Eisenstein, but I find value in the works of all of these filmmakers. I almost picked Antonioni because of how much I hated La Notte, but Strike's really boring and Potemkin's not much better. I love Eisenstein the film theorist, but I can't love his films.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:38 pm
I hope this isn't becoming the knee-jerk answer, but Eisenstein is one of those storytellers who has the best toolbox in town, but the stuff it builds is just... guh.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I hope this isn't becoming the knee-jerk answer, but Eisenstein is one of those storytellers who has the best toolbox in town, but the stuff it builds is just... guh.

I've only seen two Eisenstein films and while I found Strike to be fairly meh, Battleship Potemkin was legitimately great. Or so I thought

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 am
Of the ones mentioned I'm most of familiar with Kurosawa and Bergman. In all honesty I've found a lot of Kurosawa's stuff to be too long but I still enjoyed everything I've seen. On the other hand I was never able to into Bergman. Like at all. Like it was a chore to not just his movies off. I wouldn't be arrogant enough to call him 'overrated' but I've just never found his movies emotionally involving. Hopefully one day I'll revisit them and come back with a different opinion but right now I don't feel the inclination.

I should also note that although I didn't care for a lot of Fellini I really liked La Strada and Nights of Cabiria. Also, I've yet yet to seen any Tarkovski.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:34 pm
rblount27 wrote:
On the other hand I was never able to into Bergman. Like at all. Like it was a chore to not just his movies off. I wouldn't be arrogant enough to call him 'overrated' but I've just never found his movies emotionally involving. Hopefully one day I'll revisit them and come back with a different opinion but right now I don't feel the inclination.

Which ones did you see? I agree that some are difficult and a little overrated (Seventh Seal) but something like Wild Strawberries or The Virgin Spring is just plain great.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm
Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Hour of the Wolf, Fanny and Alexander, Persona, Virgin Spring and parts of Cries and Whispers. I actually did like The Virgin Spring and Persona was never uninteresting, but otherwise everything else left me cold. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 am
Director

I picked Kurosawa and Ozu. Not that they 'suck,' as the poll indicates, but more for the fact that I just don't have much interest in Asian cinema in general. I'm sure there are many great Asian films out there, but life's too short to see every single great film ever made, so you have to pick your battles... and they're not among the highest priorities for me. :|

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 am