Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 pm

New Regime Poll #1: Do bad sequels tarnish the original film 

Do bad sequels tarnish the original film
Absolutely yes: how can you consider yourself a fan of a film if you constantly have to qualify your statement with "Well I liked the first one?" 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Sometimes yes: it happens but by no means in every situation 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Not really: it happens on occasion but normally doesn't bother me 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Never: Films stand on their own. No one remembers the Lion King 1 1/2's of the world 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 23

New Regime Poll #1: Do bad sequels tarnish the original film 
Critic

Post New Regime Poll #1: Do bad sequels tarnish the original film
Created in response to a good idea by Ed the Metal Head.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 pm
Post Re: New Regime Poll #1: Do bad sequels tarnish the original film
Hasn't James B written a couple of reelthoughts about this?

For me, it depends on if the the film can or cannot stand on its own without it's inferior sequel. The Matrix stands on its own, but Reloaded is incomplete without Revolutions. Since I found Revolutions to be a let down, it diminishes my original opinion of Reloaded (which on first viewing, I loved almost as much as the original film).

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 pm
James, you have to learn how to sticky and un-sticky topics when you do these things. I refuse to let a new regime be inferior to my reign of terror :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, and no. Sequels don't tarnish the originals and to say it does is stupid. The first installments always stand alone and you can put the bad sequels into discontinuity.

PS: I liked Lion King 1 1/2...pout

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:37 pm
Critic

Patrick wrote:
James, you have to learn how to sticky and un-sticky topics when you do these things. I refuse to let a new regime be inferior to my reign of terror :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well why don't you teach me? I'm new to this gig

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:50 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Well why don't you teach me? I'm new to this gig

You see the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page? That helps you with sticky and un-sticky("Standard") existing topics

If you want to sticky a topic you created, there's options below the message body that helps you do that.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm
How could they?

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:25 pm
I think it depends on how strongly you feel about the first one. Id try to expand, but I'm on this damn phone. Maybe ill do it on the thread.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:49 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
How could they?

Because Aliens isn't the same movie with Alien 3. instead of the story of Ripley ending with her having regained a family of sorts, it ends with her emaciated body falling into an ironworks with an alien bursting out of her chest. And then 5 years later it ended again with her character having sex with an alien. It changes the nature of Aliens as a movie. Instead of being a wonderful end to her story, it's simply a false dawn before her life takes an unimaginably bleak course.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:52 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
How could they?

Because Aliens isn't the same movie with Alien 3. instead of the story of Ripley ending with her having regained a family of sorts, it ends with her emaciated body falling into an ironworks with an alien bursting out of her chest. And then 5 years later it ended again with her character having sex with an alien. It changes the nature of Aliens as a movie. Instead of being a wonderful end to her story, it's simply a false dawn before her life takes an unimaginably bleak course.

That doesn't reflect on Aliens, does it? For you? Although I appreciate the point you're making. I look it at like this: Alien 3 and Joss Whedon's Alien The Aborted Script With Lesbian Overtones are speculative fictions on already speculative fiction. And I've already made me stance somewhat obscurely known right here: viewtopic.php?p=67784#p67784

Perhaps it's the time to take into consideration the multiverse theory of films. The Alien 3 we got is hardly the same, brazen version that some distant parallel universe received. I take that version to be the ur-Alien 3. As it stands, we can ignore the Fincherian Alien 3 as an undeserved trespass on perfectly cromulent filmmaking.

Also: now that JamesKunz is a mod will he hesitate in using terms like "fuckbagel" and "bandersnatch"? Because that would make me sad.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
Also: now that JamesKunz is a mod will he hesitate in using terms like "fuckbagel" and "bandersnatch"? Because that would make me sad.

Will I hesitate to use..?

Fuckbagel: yes.
Bandersnatch: no. I love the Jabberwocky

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

Will I hesitate to use..?

Fuckbagel: yes.
Bandersnatch: no. I love the Jabberwocky

Only fuckbagels dislike Jabberwocky.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 pm
Director

Even if Francis Ford Coppola came out with "Godfather part IV: Baby Gangsters!", the first two Godfather films would be entrenched as absolute icons of American cinema. So I must vote no.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:26 pm
Q: Is the new regime going to randomly place tiny amounts of arsenic into our meals and then force the unlucky individual who received said meal to eat their own vomit afterwords like the old regime did?

Poll: I actually think it only works the other way around; a mediocre movie can become worse through its association with a better original, but a a good original cannot be tarnished by a bad sequel due to the magnificent power of willful ignorance. As long as the ability to jam one's fingers in one's ears and scream "NO" over and over still remains than shitty squeals will remain ghettoized in their own shittiness for me.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:13 pm