Extended Fellowship 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Theatrical Two Towers 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Extended Two Towers 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Theatrical Return of the King 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Extended Return of the King 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 19

Poll #48: Lord of the Rings 
Post Poll #48: Lord of the Rings
Thanks to ed for the germ of the idea, which LotR movies, theatrical or extended, do you like the most...or in Vexer's case hate the least.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 am
Post Re: Poll #48: Lord of the Rings
Theatrical Two Towers since I never saw any of the extended releases and, unlike the other two, it was awesome.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 am
When the first LotR came out, I had zero interest in seeing it. A friend talked me into it ONLY AFTER I'd seen the number of Academy award nominations that it had received. At this point, it was in our budget cinema (past-run). I figured it would be worth a buck-fitty.

Generally, I like to watch a movie with peanut M&M's and lemonade. As I watched the world that PJ and crew had created, I bet I sat with a solitary M&M in my fingertips just outside my mouth for close to an hour. I was mesmorized by this world that I was seeing for the first time. The second and third installment were equally stunning as well, with the third being the most impressive (for me) to look at. But it was the first that pulled me into a world I'd previously had little desire to visit.
I had to vote for the FotR theatrical for that reason alone.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:43 am
The theatrical Fellowship is the only movie on the list that I found completely pleasing - the story was told enthusiasticly and the battles were exciting. It became diminishing returns for me and by the time I caught the last chapter I had become bored. Not really my cup of tea, these movies.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 am
At the risk of being chastised...I have not seen any of the LOTR movies. I don't know why.

So I look to this poll as a guide.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 am
Another one for theatrical fellowship. It's the best stand alone movie and the only one that doesn't suffer from a lack of an editor. How in the hell the 3.5 hour theatrical Return of the King needs an extra 50 minutes added to it for an extended edition is beyond me. I'll never see any of the extended editions, but that one in particular has to be some kind of joke. The theatrical movie ended like 4 times, why add more to that? Its gotta be unbearably boring.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 pm
I dislike anything LotR, Star Wars or Star Trek.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm
Assistant Director

Theatrical Fellowship because it was in the theater.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:52 am
Has anyone read Return of the King? The "ending" is almost a third of the book. I thought PJ did a decent job of cutting it down for the film. He probably shouldn't have done so many fade to blacks in the end. That only fooled people. But seriously, I think a 9+ hour tale deserves more then 5 minutes to wrap things up. That's why I voted for the theatrical Return of the King. Did no-one else get goosebumps when Theoden showed up at the siege of Gondor? That speech and then the charge...wow, just wow.

I do love the extended editions though (at least those of the first two - haven't seen the last extended edition). As someone else said, Peter Jackson created a world that I enjoyed spending time in, so why not spend even more time.

ram1312 wrote:
At the risk of being chastised...I have not seen any of the LOTR movies. I don't know why.

What's this? Better question: why aren't you being chastised? Go forth and watch ram.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Has anyone read Return of the King? The "ending" is almost a third of the book. I thought PJ did a decent job of cutting it down for the film. He probably shouldn't have done so many fade to blacks in the end. That only fooled people. But seriously, I think a 9+ hour tale deserves more then 5 minutes to wrap things up. That's why I voted for the theatrical Return of the King. Did no-one else get goosebumps when Theoden showed up at the siege of Gondor? That speech and then the charge...wow, just wow.

I do love the extended editions though (at least those of the first two - haven't seen the last extended edition). As someone else said, Peter Jackson created a world that I enjoyed spending time in, so why not spend even more time.

ram1312 wrote:

What's this? Better question: why aren't you being chastised? Go forth and watch ram.

Yes maaan! This is what I'm saying!!! LOL.

Seriously though, well spoken. :idea:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 pm
Well, it was tough, as my favorite of the films is Fellowship, and I find that the film works equally well in theatrical and extended forms. In the end, I went with Theatrical.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:19 pm
I think all three movies are masterpieces, but the Extended Version of Return of the King is just... well, should I say perfect? tough choice, since all three films are incredible in their extended versions.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 am